Workplace Trust and Authentic Leadership as Predictors of Work-related Bullying among Staff Nurses
Background: Workplace trust is considered one of the most important factors for organizational success;trust can be achieved by authentic leaders when they are transparent and consistent toward their followers. Authentic leaders could make suitable work environment, where bullying doesn’t occur.
Aim: Examine workplace trust and authentic leadership as predictors of work-related bullying among staff nurses. This study was carried out at Zagazig University hospitals, Egypt. For this research, a descriptive research design was used.
Method: A stratified random sample of 403 staff nurses were selected from the aforementioned setting. Three tools were utilized for data collection: Authentic leadership questionnaire, workplace trust survey and negative acts questionnaire.
Results: Proved highly statistically significant positive correlation between workplace trust and authentic leadership (r=0.853, p <0.001). Otherwise, workplace trust and authentic leadership were negatively and significantly correlated with workplace bullying (r=-0.473 & -0.519, respectively, p <0.001).
Conclusion: authentic leadership and workplace trust are negative predictors of work-related bullying. Therefore, it is recommended to develop and implement authentic leadership practices a strategy for eliminating work-related bullying.
- Lehmann-Willenbrock N, Kauffeld S. Development and construct validation of the German Workplace Trust Survey (G-WTS). European Journal of Psychological Assessment. 2010 Jan 25.
- Roncesvalles MC. The Impact of Authentic Leadership on Subordinates’ Trust and Work Performance in Educational Organization: A Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) (Doctoral dissertation, University of Santo Tomas).
- Coxen L, Van der Vaart L, Stander MW. Authentic leadership and organisational citizenship behaviour in the public health care sector: The role of workplace trust. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology. 2016;42(1):1-3.
- Wong CA, Cummings GG. The influence of authentic leadership behaviors on trust and work outcomes of health care staff. Journal of Leadership Studies. 2009;3(2):6-23.
- Cervo CS, Mónico LD, dos Santos NR, Hutz CS, Pais L. Authentic Leadership Questionnaire: invariance between samples of Brazilian and Portuguese employees. Psicologia: Reflexão e Crítica. 2016 Dec;29(1):40.
- Ribeiro N, Gomes D, Kurian S. Authentic leadership and performance: the mediating role of employees’ affective commitment. Social Responsibility Journal. 2018 Mar 5;14(1):213-25.
- Datta B. Assessing the effectiveness of authentic leadership. International Journal of Leadership Studies. 2015;9(1):19-32.
- Laschinger HK, Wong CA, Grau AL. The influence of authentic leadership on newly graduated nurses’ experiences of workplace bullying, burnout and retention outcomes: A cross-sectional study. International journal of nursing studies. 2012 Oct 1;49(10):1266-76.
- An Y, Kang J. Relationship between organizational culture and workplace bullying among Korean nurses. Asian nursing research. 2016 Sep 1;10(3):234-9.
- Chatziioannidis I, Bascialla FG, Chatzivalsama P, Vouzas F, Mitsiakos G. Prevalence, causes and mental health impact of workplace bullying in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit environment. BMJ open. 2018 Feb 1;8(2):e018766.
- Hsieh YH, Wang HH, Ma SC. The mediating role of self-efficacy in the relationship between workplace bullying, mental health and an intention to leave among nurses in Taiwan. International journal of occupational medicine and environmental health. 2019 Apr 3;32(2):245-54.
- Yamane T. Statistics: An introductory analysis.
- Ferres N. The Development and Validation of the Workplace Trust Survey (WTS): Combining Qualitative and Quantitative Methodologies Paper to be Presented at APROS, Mexico 2003 Emotions, Attitudes and Culture Stream.”.
- Bento AV, Ribeiro MI. Authentic leadership in school organizations. European Scientific Journal. 2013;9:121-30.
- Einarsen S, Hoel H, Notelaers G. Measuring exposure to bullying and harassment at work: Validity, factor structure and psychometric properties of the Negative Acts Questionnaire-Revised. Work & Stress. 2009 Jan 1;23(1):24-44.
- Ebrahim AB. Authentic leadership, trust and work engagement amongst health care workers (Doctoral dissertation, North-West University (South Africa), Vaal Triangle Campus).
- Elewa AH, El Banan SH. Organizational Culture, Organizational Trust and Workplace Bullying Among Staff Nurses at Public and Private Hospitals. International journal of Nursing Didactics. 2019 Apr 13;9(04):10-20.
- Gardner D, O’Driscoll M, Cooper-Thomas H, Roche M, Bentley T, Catley B, Teo S, Trenberth L. Predictors of workplace bullying and cyber-bullying in New Zealand. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2016 May;13(5):448.
Abstract Views: 52
PDF Views: 0