Mother's Educational Needs about Etiology of Children's Leukemia
Introduction: Leukemia is the most popular malignant neoplasm in childhood, that they are about 41% of children's cancer in younger than 15 years old (ALL is about 70% among them) (12). Signs ,clinical tests and response to treatment are different in kinds with leukemia. Direct etiology of leukemia is unknown in many case of ALL, but genetic and environmental factors are discussed in children's leukemia (7). Because of complex pathophysiology in leukemia and long treatments and follow up in it, knowledge of etiology and prevention of leukemia is very important.
Objective: Assessment of mother's educational needs about etiology of children's leukemia.
Materials and Method: In cross-sectional study 300 mothers with child younger than 5 years old selected with simple accidental method of health centers in Borujerd. Data analyzed with t and chi square tests (with p<0.05).
Results: Results showed that most of mothers had moderate or weak knowledge, only 31.33% of mothers had appropriate knowledge in etiology of leukemia. Between educational level and mother's knowledge rate about etiology of leukemia was direct and meaningful communication (p<0.0001).Mothers with 1 or 2 child had more knowledge than mothers with 3 or more child (p<0.04).Mothers younger than 35 years old had more knowledge than mothers in 35 or more (p<0.0001).
Conclusion: Educational programs about etiology of leukemia are essential for mothers (and they need to be familiar with leukemia and its side effects and treatments, etc) in order to increase their appropriate knowledge in this case.
- Khosronia - B., Hosseini – M., Nazari - Forough. (2003) . Awareness of Mothers With Children Under 2 Years Old About Acute Leukemia in Children. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. No. 2. Page 21-15.
- Rahimi – MH., Mshkah – J., Imani - H. (2000) . Assessment of Mother’s (With Children Under 5 Years) Knowledge About Treatment of Leukemia. Congress on Health and Prevention of Children’s diseases.
- Asfaw M, Belach S, Ketsoly Z . (1999) . Knowledge and Practice of Mothers/Care-Takers Towards Leukemia and its Treatment in Ethiopia. Ethiop Med J . 30(5):219-228 .
- Ivan A, Azoria H. (2003) . An Epidemiological Assessment of Acute Pain in Leukemia . J of Epidemiology. 44(3-4):205-209 .
- Jakobson MS, Molbak K, Sodema M . (2001) . Management of Childhood Leukemia . J Med Hyg . 62(3):160-166 .
- Kalkarni A, Naikar B, Khamgan ML . (2004) . Awareness of Urban Mothers Regarding Home Management of Leukemia . Indian J Med Sci . 53(5):312-315 .
- Nelson , Waldo Emerson . (2004) . Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, Disease of the Blood Cancer and Benign Tumors .
- Roy S, Daniel A . (1999) . Pediatric Clinical Oncology. 5th ed .St Louis:Mosby .
- Sameti S, Golabi S . (2008) . Mother’s Training Needs About Leukemia . SIOP 2-6 Oct,2008 – Berlin, Germany.
- Sanchez R, Gorth C, Paula K . (1996) . Childhood Leukemia: Beliefs and Traditional Health Practice. J Pediatr Panama . 122(5):378- 389 .
- Sengupta PG, Gupta N, Ghoshlek R . (2003) . Maternal Knowledge About Risk Factors of Leukemia in Rural Community of Bengal . J Common Dis . 32(4):250-256 .
- Wong, Donna L . (2007) . Wong’s Nursing Care of Infants and Children . Textbook of Medical Surgical Nursing . 11th ed . Philadelphia.
Abstract Views: 198
PDF Views: 0