Sleep Quality among Residents of an Old Folks Home in Malaysia
Background: Lack of sleep has been linked with increased morbidity and mortality.
AIM: The objective of this study was to determine the sleep quality of older adults residing in a private elderly care institution in Malaysia.
Methods: This cross sectional study was conducted among consenting residents of a non-governmental charity old folks home in Penang, Malaysia. The sleep quality of the respondents was measured using the PSQI. Data was analysed using PASW.
Findings: The PSQI score ranged from 0 to 16 with a mean score of 7.1 (SD 3.4). 76.8% (116) had scores>5. The differences in the mean score for chronic illness (p=0.04), the people that could be counted on for help (p=0.02) and the feasibility of getting practical help from fellow residents (p=0.01) were statistically significant. Linear regression showed that the quality of sleep is better as the attitude towards ageing (p=0.01) and the quality of life of the respondents are positive (p<0.01).
Conclusions: It is imperative that care givers understand the importance of sleep hygiene in the wellbeing of the residents.
- Venne R. Mainstreaming the concerns of older persons into the social development agenda. United Nations Secretariat. Division for Social Policy and Development, 2005
- Department of statistics. Demographic data. Kuala Lumpur 2001.
- Buysse DJ, Reynolds CF, Monk TH, Berman SR. Pittsuburgh Sleep Quality Index: A new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatr Res 1989;28:193-213
- National Sleep Foundation. Sleep-awake cycle: its physiology and impact on health. Washington DC, 2006 http://www.sleepfoundation.org/atf/cf/ % / 7 B F 6 B F 2 6 6 8 - A 1 B 4 - 4 F E B - 8 D 1 A - A5D39340D9CB%7D/Sleep-Wake_Cycle.pdf [accessed 12/1/2011]
- Nicholl C, Wilson KJ, Webster S. Elderly care medicine. 7th edition. Blackwell Publishing Oxford UK, 2008.
- Hellstrom A, Hagell P, Fagerstrom C, Willman A. Measurement properties of the Mininmal Insomina Symptom Scale (MISS) in an elderly population in Sweden. BMC Geriatr 2010;10:84
- World Health Organization. WHOQOL – BREF introduction, administration, scoring and generic version of the assessment. Programme on mental Health, Geneva. December 1996
- Laidlaw K, Power MJ, Schimdt S. The WHOQOLOLD group. The attitudes to ageing questionnaire (AAQ): Development and psychometric properties. International J Geriatr Psychiatr. 2007;22:367-379
- Ford DE, Kamerow DB. Epidemiologic study of sleep disturbances and psychiatric disorders. An opportunity for prevention? JAMA 1989;262:1479- 1484
- Shives LR. Basic Concepts of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincortt Williams & Wilkins, 2004
- Lichstein KL. Insomnia in the elderly. Sleep Med Clin 2006;1(2):221-9
- Hosseini H, Esfirizi MF, Marandi SM, Rezaei A. The effect of Tai Chi exercise on the sleep quality of the elderly residents in Isfahan, Sadeghieh elderly home. IJNMR 2011;16(1):55-60
- Cohen D, Eisdorfer C, Prinz P, Breen A, Davis M, Gadsby A. Sleep disturbances in institutionalized age. J Am Geriatr Soc 1983;32:79-82
- Lin CL. Su TP. Chang M. Quality of sleep its associated factors in the institutionalized elderly. Formosan Journal of Medicine 2003;7(2):174-184
- Friedman EM, Hayney MS, Love GD, Urry HL, Rosenkranz MA, Davidson RJ. Singer BH, Ryff CD. Social relationships, sleep quality and interleukin- 6 in aging women. PNAS 2005;102(51):18757-62
- Liu YW, Chuang HM. Investigation of the decision making procession of how disable elders’ families choose long term care welfare services. Soochow Journal of Social Work 2006;14:91-123
- Ancoli-Israel S. All I want is a Good Night’s. Chicago, IL: Mosby –Year Book Inc., 1996
- Chen KM, Chen MH, Lin MH, Fan JT, Lin HS, Li CH. Effects of Yoga sleep quality and depression in elders in assisted living facilities. J Nurs Res 2010;18(1)
- Mudey A, Ambekar S, Goyal RC, Agarekar S, Wagh VV. Assessment of Quality of Life among rural and urban elderly population of Wardha district, Maharashtra, India. Ethno Med 2011;5(2):89-93
- Baldwin CM, Ervin A-M, Mays MZ, Robbins J, Shafazand S, Walsleben J, Weaver T. Sleep disturbances, quality of life and ethnicity: the sleep heart health study. J Clin Sleep Med 2010:6(2): 176-183
- Faubel R, Lopez-Garcia E, Guallar-Castillon P, Balboa-Castillo T, Gutierrez-Fisac J, Banegas JR, Rodriguez-Artalejo F. Sleep duration and health related quality of life among older adults: a population based cohort in Spain. Sleep 2009;32(8):1059-1068
- Hwang HF, Liang WM, Chiu YN, Lin MR. Suitability of the WHOQOL-BREF for the community-dwelling older people in Taiwan. Age Ageing 2003;32(6);593-600
- Assantachai P, Maranetra N. Nationwide survey of the health status and quality of life of elderly Thais attending clubs for the elderly. J Med Assoc Thai 2003;86:938-46
- Naing MM, Nanthamongkolchai S, Munsawaengsub C. Quality of Life of the elderly people in Einne Township Irrawaddy Division, Myanmar. ASIAPH 2010;1(2):4-10
- Ichimiya A, Iqata R, Ogomori K, Iqata T. The relationship between sleep disturbance and morale in Japanese elderly people. Int Psychogeriatr 2005;17(3):443-9
Abstract Views: 208
PDF Views: 0