A Study to assess the effectiveness of Planned Teaching Module Regarding Foreign Body Aspiration and its Prevention in Under-Five Children
A study was conducted in Heraklion, Crete, Greece to evaluate the effect of a campaign for proper education of the public on the risk of foreign body aspiration in children. A retrospective analysis of 87 endoscopic foreign body removal in children was performed at the department of Otorhinolaryngology during the period between January 2000 and December 2004. Results were compared with those of a previous study conducted during the period between 1991 and 1999. A foreign body was discovered in 44 cases, while in 43 cases there were no findings. Both crude and age standardized bronchoscopy rates appear to be lower in the time period between 2000-2004 as compared to the time period prior to the educational program.8
A study was conducted in Ha Emek Medical Center to examine the demographic data of children at high risk foreign body aspiration in order to develop precautionary measures. A retrospective review was prepared for all the charts of children under 16 years, who underwent bronchoscopy for suspected foreign body aspiration during the period of 1994-2004. The review presented a total of 136 children who had undergone bronchoscopy. Foreign bodies were found in 73% of cases. The incidence of bronchosopies that were positive for foreign bodies was higher in the children less than two years (82.6%) with older children (57.1%) In majority of cases food was aspirated (82%) especially nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are particularly dangerous and it is recommended to prevent young children from eating them. It is recommended that well-defined public education programs should achieve prevention.9
- Dr.Ajay Singh first aid and emergency care; N.R. brothers, 4th edition,1994page no137
- DONNA.L.WONG; nursing care of infants and children ; edition 6th , page no1489.
- DONNA.L.WONG; nursing care of infants and children ; edition 5th , page no332.
- Sehgal a singh V, Chandra J, mathur NN; foreign body aspiration; Indian padiatric: 2002 nov; 39(11):1006-10.
- Dorthy R Marlow, Barbara A. Redding; the text book of pediatric nursing; published by Elsevier; page no 773-830.
- B.T Basavanthappa; text book of nursing research; J.p publication 2nd edition 2007: page no 92
Abstract Views: 260
PDF Views: 0