Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Cultural Intelligence and Leadership Effectiveness in Global Workplaces
Dealing with workplace diversity is the major challenge of global leaders. The objective of this study is to study the impact of cultural intelligence on global leadership effectiveness. In this conceptual study, we describe major advances and emerging patterns in the research domain of global leadership and impact of cultural intelligence on the effectiveness of global leaders in cross-cultural workplaces over the last several years. The finding of the study is that cultural intelligence is a prime factor in deciding the success of global leaders in cross-cultural workplaces.
Cultural Intelligence, Global Leadership, Cross-Cultural Workplace.
- Ang, S., & Inkpen, A. C. (2008). Cultural intelligence and offshore outsourcing success: A framework of firm-level intercultural capability. Decision Science, 39(3), 337–358.
- Ang, S., Van Dyne, L., Koh, C., Ng, K. Y., Templer, K. J., Tay, C., & Chandrasekar, N. A. (2007). Cultural intelligence: Its measurement and effects on cultural judgment and decision making, cultural adaptation and task performance. Management and Organization Review, 3(3).
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectation. New York, NY: Free Press. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations, 256.
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1990). Developing transformational leadership: 1992 and beyond. Journal of European Industrial Training, 14(5).
- Blake, R. R., & Mouton, J. S. (1982). Grid® principles versus situationalism: A final note. Group & Organization Management, 7(2), 211–215.
- Caligiuri, P. (2006). Developing global leaders. Human Resource Management Review, 16(2), 219–228.
- Crowne, K. A. (2008). What leads to cultural intelligence? Business Horizons, 51(5), 391–399.
- Deng, L., & Gibson, P. (2008). A qualitative evaluation on the role of cultural intelligence in cross-cultural leadership effectiveness. International Journal of Leadership Studies, 3(2), 181–197.
- Dyne, V., Intelligence, C., & Ryan, A. M. (2012). Cultural intelligence: A review, reflections, and recommendations for future research.
- Dyne, L. Van, Ang, S., & Koh, C. (2008). Development and validation of the CQS. Handbook of Cultural Intelligence: Theory, Measurement, and Applications.
- Dyne, L. Van, Ang, S., Ng, K. Y., Rockstuhl, T., Tan, M. L., & Koh, C. (2012). Sub-Dimensions of the four factor model of cultural intelligence: Expanding the Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Intelligence. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 4, 295–313.
- Earley, P. C., & Mosakowski, E. (2004). Cultural intelligence. Harvard Business Review.
- Earley, P. C., & Peterson, R. S. (2018). Chameleon: Cultural intelligence as a new approach to intercultural training for the global manager, 3(1), 100–115.
- Elenkov, D. S., & Manev, I. M. (2009). Senior expatriate leadership’s effects on innovation and the role of cultural intelligence. Journal of World Business, 44(4), 357–369. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2008.11.001
- Fiedler, F. E. (1964). A contingency model of leadership effectiveness. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 1(177), 149–190.
- Gibb, C. A. (1958). An Interactional view of the emergence of leadership. Australian Journal of Psychology, 10(1), 101–110.
- Groves, K. S., & Feyerherm, A. E. (2011). Leader cultural intelligence in context: Testing the moderating effects of team cultural diversity on leader and team performance. Group and Organization Management, 36(5).
- Gu, J., & Tubbs, S. L. (2001). Developing global leadership competencies. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 7(4), 20–31.
- Jokinen, T. (2005). Global leadership competencies: A review and discussion. Journal of European Industrial Training, 29(3), 199–216.
- Kim, Y. J., & Dyne, L. V. (2012). Cultural intelligence and international leadership potential: The importance of contact for members of the majority. Applied Psychology, 61(2), 272–294.
- Lester, G. V., Palmer, N., & Clapp-smith, R. (2009). The role of authentic leadership and cultural intelligence in cross-cultural contexts: An objectivist perspective. International Journal of Leadership Studies, 5(2), 102–117.
- Lewin, K., Lippitt, R., & White, R. K. (1939). Patterns of aggressive behavior in experimentally created social climates. Journal of Social Psychology, 10, 271–299.
- Likert, R. (1961). Leadership and organizational performance. New Patterns of Management.
- Mendenhall, M. E., Reiche, B. S., Bird, A., & Osland, J. S. (2012). Defining the “global” in global leadership. Journal of World Business, 47(4).
- Ng, K. (2018). for global leader development as a learning capability from experience to experiential learning. Cultural Intelligence, 8(4), 511–526.
- Pless, N. M., Maak, T., & Stahl, G. K. (2011). Developing responsible global leaders through international servicelearning programs: The Ulysses experience. Academy of Management Learning and Education, 10(2).
- Ramirez, A. R. (2010). Impact of cultural intelligence level on conflict resolution ability: A conceptual model and research proposal. Emerging Leadership Journeys, 3(1), 42–56.
- Rockinson-szapkiw, E. K. K. A. J. (2013). The relationship between transformational leadership and cultural intelligence A study of international school leaders. Journal of Educational Administration, 51(6).
- Stogdill, R. (1974). Handbook of leadership (Vol. 1).
- Templer, K. J., Tay, C., & Chandrasekar, N. A. (2006). Motivational cultural intelligence, realistic job preview, realistic living conditions preview, and cross-cultural adjustment. Group and Organization Management, 31(1).
- Tuleja, E. A. (2014). Developing cultural intelligence for global leadership through mindfulness. Journal of Teaching in International Business, 25(1), 5–24.
- Wynn, G. (2004). On heroes, hero-worship, and the heroic in environmental history. Environment and History, 10(2), 133–151.
- Zekânın, K., Liderlik, K., Üzerindeki, E., İşletmelerinde, K., & Bir, N. (2014). The role of cultural intelligence in cross-cultural leadership effectiveness : A Qualitative Study in the Hospitality Industry. Journal of Yasar University, 9(35), 6099–6108.
Abstract Views: 22
PDF Views: 0