An Innovative Approach of Control and Simulation Based Analysis of Doubly Fed Electrical Machines for Harnessing Wind Energy
Background/Objectives: Wind energy systems are need of the hour from electrical energy system point of view. Doubly fed electric machines are best suited for wind systems due to their ability to work under variable speed conditions.
Methods/Statistical Analysis: This paper proposes a new configuration of doubly fed induction generator (DFIG) called as single external feeding of DFIG (SEF-DFIG) which has significant merits over the former system.
Findings: The operating mode is presented with detailed analysis of the proposed system. Extensive simulation study is carried out by considering a hybrid energy system which consists of wind as well as other renewable energy sources.
Application/Improvements: The results obtained during the simulation case study demonstrate the usefulness of the proposed system.
- R. Datta, V. T. Ranganathan. Variable-speed wind power generation using doubly fed wound rotor induction machine—comparison with alternative schemes. IEEE Transaction Energy Conversion. 2002; 17(3), 414–421.
- J. Arbi, M. J. B. Ghorbal, I. Slama-Belkhodja, L. Charaabi. Direct virtual torque control for doubly fed induction generator grid connection. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 2011; 47(1), 4163–4173.
- A. Luna, K. Lima, D. Santos, R. Paul, and S. Arnaltes. Simplified modeling of a DFIG for transient studies in wind power applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2011; 58(1), 9–19.
- M. J. Hossain, H. P. Pota, V. A. Ugrinovskii, R. A. Ramos. Simultaneous STATCOM and pitch angle control for improved LVRT capability of fixed-speed wind turbines. IEEE Transaction Sustainable Energy. 2010; 1(3), 142–151.
- A. Causebrook, D. J. Atkinson, A. G. Jack. Fault ride-through of large wind farms using series dynamic braking resistors. IEEE Transaction Power System. 2007; 22(3), 966–975.
- M. E. Haque, M. Negnevitsky, K. M. Muttaqi. A novel control strategy for a variable-speed wind turbine with a permanent-magnet synchronous generator. IEEE Transaction Industry Application. 2010; 46(1), 331–339.
- W. Oiao, L. Qu, R. G. Harley. Control of IPM synchronous generator for maximum wind power generation considering magnetic saturation. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 2009; 45(3), 1095–1105.
- C. S. Brune, R. Spee, K. Wallace. Experimental evaluation of a variable-speed doubly-fed wind-power generation system. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 1994; 30(3), 648–655.
- S. Bhowmik, R. Spee, J. H. R. Enslin. Performance optimization ´ for doubly fed wind power generation systems. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 1999; 35(4), 949–958.
- C.-H. Liu, Y.-Y. Hsu. Effect of rotor excitation voltage on steady-state stability and maximum output power of a doubly fed induction generator. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronic. 2011; 58(4), 1096–1109.
- A. Petersson, S. Lundberg. Energy efficiency comparison of electrical systems for wind turbines. Proceeding IEEE Nordic Workshop Power Industrial Electronic. 2002; 12–14.
- A. C. Smith, R. Todd, M. Barnes, P. J. Tavner. Improved energy conversion for doubly fed wind generators. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 2006; 42(6), 1421–1428.
- S. Muller, M. Deicke, R. W. De Doncker. Doubly fed induction generator systems for wind turbines. IEEE Industrial Application Magazine. 2002; 8(3), 26–33.
- G. D. Marques, D. M. Sousa. Air-gap-power-vector-based sensor less method for DFIG control without flux estimator. IEEE Transaction Industrial Electronic. 2011; 58(10), 4717–4726.
- A. Petersson, L. Harnefors, T. Thiringer. Evaluation of current control methods for wind turbines using doubly-fed induction machine. IEEE Transaction Power Electronic. 2005; 20(1), 227–235.
- L. Gao, B. Guan, Y. Zhou, L. Xu. Model reference adaptive system observer based sensor less control of doubly-fed induction machine. Proceeding 2010 International Conference Electronic Machine System. 2010; 931–936.
- L. Xu, W. Cheng. Torque and reactive power control of a doubly fed induction machine by position sensor less scheme. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 1995; 31(3), 636–641.
- B. Singh, S. K. Aggarwal, T. C. Kandpal. DFIG-based wind power conversion with grid power leveling for reduced gusts. IEEE Transaction on Sustainable Energy. 2012, 3(1), 12-20.
- L. Qu and W. Qiao. Constant power control of DFIG wind turbine with super capacitor energy storage. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 2011; 47(1), 359–367.
- C. Abbey, G. Joos. Super capacitor energy storage for wind energy applications. IEEE Trans. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 2007; 43(3), 769–776.
- J. Lopez, E. Gubia, E. Olea, J. Ruiz, L. Marroyo. Ride through of wind turbines with doubly fed induction generator under symmetrical voltage dips. IEEE Transaction Industrial Electronics. 2009; 56(10), 4246–4254.
- P. Flannery, G. Venkataramanan. A fault tolerant doubly fed induction generator wind turbine using a parallel grid side rectifier and series grid side converter. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics. 2008; 23(3), 1126–1135.
- P. Flannery, G. Venkataramanan. Unbalanced voltage sag ride through of a doubly fed induction generator wind turbine with series grid-side converter. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 2009; 45(5), 1879–1887.
- J. Hu, Y. He, L. Xu, B. Williams. Improved control of DFIG systems during network unbalance using PI-R current regulators. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application. 2009; 56(2), 439–451.
- M. Mohseni, S. Islam, M. Masoum. Fault ride-through capability enhancement of doubly-fed induction wind generators. IET Renewable Power Generation. 2011; 5(5), 368–376, Sep. 2011.
- T. Ackermann. Wind power in power systems. West Sussex, U.K.: Wiley. 2005; 559–562.
Abstract Views: 60
PDF Views: 0