Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Efficacy of Integrated Well-Being Intervention (IWI) for Widows Having Mild to Moderate Depression in Tamil Nadu, India: A Randomized Controlled Trial
The present study examined the effectiveness of “Integrated W ell-being Intervention “for alleviating depression and enhancing the psychological well-being of widows. It used a “two-group randomized controlled trial” with 40 widows in mild to moderate depression. Beck's Depression Inventory and Ryff's Scales of Psychological Well-being were used to measure the level of depression and determine their psychological well-being. The intervention was implemented for five weeks and the results showed significant effects on the participants. The results were analyzed using Paired Sample t-test, MANOV A and Cohen's d test indicated the extent of its effect. The study proved that the “Integrated Well-being Intervention (IWI) is an effective intervention tool for increasing psychological well-being and reducing depression among widows in Tamil Nadu, India.
Depression, Psychological Well-Being, Integrated Well-Being Intervention, Widows.
- Beck, A.T., Steer, R.A., & Brown, G.K. (1996). Manual for the beck depression inventory -II. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
- Beck, A.T., Ward, C., & Mendelson M. (1961). Manual for the: Beck Depression Inventory (BDI). Archives of General Psychiatry, 4(6), 561-571.
- Bennett, K.M., & Soulby Laura, K. (2012). Well-being in bereavement and widowhood. Illness, Crisis, and Loss, 20(4), 321-340.
- Bharati, P ., Godishala, S., & Kumar, K.B. (2015). Depression among widows and widowers. Psychology, 4(10), ISSN No 2277-8479.
- Bhavneet, S.V . (2016). Women's right to ancestral property. Retrieved From http so://www .law farm in > blogs>W omen.
- Chakravati, U. (2013). A larger than life picture. Dignity Dialogue Magazine. November issue.
- Creswell, J.D., Way, B.M., Eisenberger, N.I., & Lieberman, M.D. (2007). Neural correlates of disposition all mindfulness during affect labeling. Psychosomatic Medicine, 69, 560-565.
- Dozois, D., & Covin, R. (2004). The Beck Depression Inventory-II (BDI-II), Beck Hopelessness Scale (BHS) and Beck Scale for Suicidal Ideation (BSS). In M. Hersen, D.L. Segal, and M. Hilsenroth (Eds.), A comprehensive handbook of psychological assessment (V ol. 2). Hoboben, N.J: John Wiley and Sons.
- Johnson, E.J., & Shymala. (2012). Widow remarriage: A new dimension of social change in India. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 2(3), 195205.
- Kaviarasu, J.S., Baskar-Jayabalan, A., & Gladston, X.G. (2015). Widows in the substandard settlements of Chennai city-problems and prospects. European Academic Research, II(II), 2015.
- Khan, S.S., Hopkins, N., Tewari, S., & Srinivasan, N. (2014). Efficacy and well-being in rural North India: The role of social identification with a large scale community identity . European Journal of Social Psychology, 44(7), 787-798. Retrieved from http so://Doi.org/10,1002/Jesper 2010.
- Lamers, S.M.A., Westerhof, G.J., Bohlmeijjer, E.T ., Klooster, P .M., & Keyes, C.L.M. (2011). Evaluating the psychometric properties of the Mental a Health Continuum Short Form (MHC-SF). Journal of Clinical Psychology, 67(1), 99-110.
- Moe, K. (2012). Factors influencing women's psychological well-being within a positive functioning framework. These sand Dissertations-Educational, School, and Counseling Psychology. Retrieved From: http://uknowledge.uky.edu/ depends/3.
- Myers, A., & Hanson, C. (2012). Experimental psychology (7th ed.). Belmonte Wadsworth.
- Rehm, L.P . (2010). Depression. Cambridge: Hogrefe.
- Raj, S. (2015). Status of widows around the world. A comparative study from developing nations to the developed world. Fund on: An International Journal of Multidisplinary Research, I, Issue 1.
- Ryff, C. (1989). Happiness is everything, or is it? Explorations on the meaning of psychological well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 10691081.
- Ryff, C., & Keyes, C. (1995). The structure of psychological well-being revisited. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 69, 719-727.
- Sirvastava, R. (2015). Major problems faced by widows in India. Speaking T ree. Nov 25, 2015. Retrieved from http so//www .speakingtree.in/allslides/ Major-problemsfaced-by-widows-in-India.
- UN Women (2017). UN Women statement for International Widow's Day June 23, 2017. Retrieved from: http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2017/6/statement-unwomen-international.
Abstract Views: 40
PDF Views: 0