Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Perceived Social Support, Daily Spiritual Experience and Life Satisfaction among Emerging Adults:A Developing Country Perspective
With a range of spiritual and religious factors demonstrated positive qualities in adolescents and young adults, very few studies were made considering emerging adults. Individuals at this stage, explore a variety of life directions in work, religious and spiritual beliefs, social support and different views about the world which can impact their life satisfaction. Interestingly the previous studies explored that the stage of emerging adulthood was noticed mainly in developed and industrialised countries. A developing country like India is also witnessing a pandemic revolution in the fields of information technology and industrialisation like any other developed country which is leading to the greater prevalence of emerging adulthood and there by seeking up new revolution in this field. The purpose of the current study was to explore the impact of daily spiritual experience and perceived social support on life satisfaction among emerging adults in an Indian Perspective. The results of the study showed that there is a significant relationship between daily spiritual experience, perceived social support and life satisfaction and both daily spiritual experience and perceived social support significantly predicted life satisfaction.
Daily Spiritual Experience, Perceived Social Support, Life Satisfaction, Emerging Adults.
- Alorani, O. I., & Alradaydeh, F. (2018). Spiritual well-being , perceived social support, and life satisfaction among university students. International Journal of Adolescence and Y outh, 3843, 18. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2017.1352522
- Arnett, J. (2000). Emerging adulthood: A theory of development from the late teens through the twenties. The American Psychologist, 55, 469-480. https://doi.org/10.1037//0003-066X.55.5.469
- Carbonell, D. M., Reinherz, H. Z., Giaconia, R. M., Stashwick, C. K., Paradis, A. D., & Beardslee, W. R. (2002). Adolescent protective factors promoting resilience in young adults at risk for depression. Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal, 19(5), 393-412. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020274531345
- Diener, E., Inglehart, R., Tay, L., Diener, E., & Street, E. D. (2012). Theory and V alidity of Life Satisfaction Scales. Social Indicators Research, 112, 497-527.
- Gerson, M. W. (2018). Spirituality, social support, pride, and contentment as differential predictors of resilience and life satisfaction in emerging adulthood.485517. https://doi.org/10.4236/psych.2018.93030
- Joshanloo, M. (2011). Investigation of the contribution of spirituality and religiousness to hedonic and eudaimonic well-being in iranian young adults. Journal of Happiness Studies, 12(6), 915-930. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-010-9236-4
- Kasprzak, E. (2010). Perceived social support and life-satisfaction. Polish Psychological Bulletin, 41(4), 144-154. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2478/v10059-010-0019-x
- Larson, D. B., Swyers, J. P ., & McCullough, M. E. (1998). Scientific research on spirituality and health: A report based on the Scientific Progress in Spirituality Conferences. National Institute for Healthcare Research.
- Lewinsohn, P . M., Rohde, P ., Klein, D. N., & Seeley, J. R. (1999). Natural course of adolescent major depressive disorder: I continuity into young adulthood. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 38(1), 56-63. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199901000-00020
- Pavot, W., & Diener, E. (2008). The Satisfaction With Life Scale and the emerging construct of life satisfaction. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 3(2), 137-152. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760701756946
- Procidano, M. E., & Heller, K. (1983). Measures of perceived social support from friends and from family: Three validation studies. American Journal of Community Psychology, 11(1), 124. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00898416
- Sawatzky, R., Gadermann, A., & Pesut, B. (2009). An investigation of the relationships between spirituality , health status and quality of life in adolescents. Applied Research in Quality of Life, 4(1), 5-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11482-009-9065-y
- Schulenberg, J. E., Sameroff, A. J., & Cicchetti, D. (2004). The transition to adulthood as a critical juncture in the course of psychopathology and mental health. Development and Psychopathology, 16(4), 799-806. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.1017/S0954579404040015
- Tam, C. L., & Lim, S.G. (2009). Perceived social support, coping capability and gender differences among young adults. Sunway Academic Journal, 6, 75-88.
- Thapar, A., Collishaw, S., Pine, D. S., & Thapar, A. K. (2012). Depression in adolescence. The Lancet, 379(9820), 1056-1067. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/ 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60871-4
- Underwood, L. G. (2011). The Daily Spiritual Experience Scale: Overview and results. Religions, 2(1), 29-50. https://doi.org/10.3390/rel2010029
- Weber, L. J., & Cummings, A. L. (2003). Research and theory: Relationships among spirituality , social support and childhood maltreatment in university students. Counseling and V alues, 47(2), 82-95. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-007X.2003.tb00226.x
- Wilcox, H. C., Arria, A. M., Caldeira, K. M., Vincent, K. B., Pinchevsky, G. M., & O'Grady, K. E. (2010). Prevalence and predictors of persistent suicide ideation, plans, and attempts during college. Journal of Affective Disorders, 127(1), 287-294. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2010.04.017
- Zhou, K., Li, H., Wei, X., Yin, J., Liang, P ., Zhang, H., & Zhuang, G. (2015). Reliability and validity of the multidimensional scale of perceived social support in Chinese mainland patients with methadone maintenance treatment. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 60, 182-188. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2015.03.007
- Zimet, G. D., Dahlem, N. W., Zimet, S. G., & Farley, G. K. (1988). The Multidimensional Scale of perceived social support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 52(1), 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5201_2
Abstract Views: 48
PDF Views: 0