Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Motivational Facilitators and Barriers of Adaptive Academic Help-seeking:A Systematic Review
A systematic review was conducted to examine motivation related facilitators and barriers to adaptive academic help-seeking among learners. The review included 31 studies dealing with both adaptive and maladaptive help-seeking behaviour. The motivational facilitators and Barriers to adaptive academic help-seeking included goal orientation, self-perception, attitude and beliefs, academic achievement, interpersonal/social relations and teacher behaviour. Significant gaps were identified where more methodologically sound researches are needed. Strategies for developing appropriate, healthy and active help-seeking strategies were discussed in order to effectively promote better quality of learning.
Academic Help-Seeking Behaviour, Adaptive Help-Seeking, Motivational Facilitators and Barriers.
- Alexitch, L. R. (2002). The role of help-seeking attitudes and tendencies in students' preferences for academic advising. Journal of College Student Development, 43(1), 5-19.
- Bartholomé, T., Stahl, E., Pieschl, S., & Bromme, R. (2006). What matters in helpseeking? A study of help effectiveness and learner-related factors. Computers in Human Behavior, 22(1), 113-129.
- Cornally, N., & McCarthy, G. (2011). Help-seeking behaviour: A concept analysis. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 17(3), 280-288.
- Harris, A., Bonnett, V ., Luckin, R., Y uill, N., & Avramides, K. (2009, July). Scaffolding effective help-seeking behaviour in mastery and performance oriented learners. In V . Dimitrova, R. Mizoguchi, B. du Boulay, and A. C. Graesser (Eds.), Frontiers in artificial intelligence and applications (pp. 425-432). AIED 2009, IOS Press.
- Hashim, R. A. (2004). Interplay of ESL students' goal orientations, self-beliefs, and attitudinal factors in academic help-seeking behaviors. Journal of Social Science and Humanities, 12, 21-29.
- Horowitz, G., Rabin, L. A., & Brodale, D. L. (2013). Improving student performance in organic chemistry: Help seeking behaviors and prior chemistry aptitude. Journal of the Scholarship of T eaching and Learning, 13(3), 120-133.
- Karabenick, S. A. (1998). Help seeking as a strategic resource. In S. A. Karabenick (Ed.), Strategic help seeking: Implications for learning and teaching (pp. 1–11). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence.
- Karabenick, S. A. (2001). Seeking help in large college classes: Who, why, and from whom? Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Seattle, WA.
- Komissarouk, S., & Nadler, A. (2014). “I” seek autonomy, “we” rely on each other: Selfconstrual and regulatory focus as determinants of autonomy-and dependency-oriented help-seeking behavior . Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 40(6), 726-738.
- Kozanitis, A., Desbiens, J. F., & Chouinard, R. (2007). Perception of teacher support and reaction towards questioning: Its relation to instrumental help-seeking and motivation to learn. International Journal of T eaching and Learning in Higher Education, 19(3), 238-250.
- Ladd, G. W. (1990). Having friends, keeping friends, making friends, and being liked by peers in the classroom: Predictors of children's early school adjustment? Child Development, 61(4), 1081-1100.
- Marchand, G., & Skinner, E. A. (2007). Motivational dynamics of children's academic help-seeking and concealment. Journal of Educational Psychology, 99(1), 65-82.
- Melrose, S., Shapiro, B., & LaV allie, C. (2005). Help-seeking experiences of health care learners in a WebCT online graduate study program. Canadian Journal of Learning and T echnology, 31(2), 5-21.
- Mihlon, M. A. (2010). The role of self-theories of intelligence and self-efficacy in adaptive help-seeking by college students (Doctoral Dissertation, The City University of New York, New York, US). Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/openview/a82035185a397ecd2b94720a150ad29c/1?pq-origsite=gscholar &cbl=18750&diss=y
- Nelson-Le Gall, S. (1981). Help-seeking: An understudied problem-solving skill in children. Developmental Review, 1(3), 224-246.
- Nelson-Le Gall, S., & Resnick, L. (1998). Help seeking, achievement motivation, and the social practice of intelligence in school. In S. A. Karabenick (Ed.), Strategic help seeking: Implications for learning and teaching (pp. 39-60). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associate.
- Ng, M. (2014). Self-efficacy beliefs and academic help seeking behavior of Chinese students. Journal of Educational Sciences and Psychology, 4(1), 17-31.
- Newman, R. (1998). Adaptive help-seeking: A role of social interaction in self-regulated learning. In S. Karabenick (Ed.), Strategic help-seeking: Implications for learning and teaching (pp. 13-37). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Newman, R. (2006). Students' adaptive and nonadaptive help seeking in the classroom: Implications for the context of peer harassment. In S. Karabenick and R. Newman (Eds.), Help seeking in academic setting: Goals, groups, and contexts (pp. 225-258). Routledge.
- Newman, R. S. (2008). Adaptive and nonadaptive help seeking with peer harassment: An integrative perspective of coping and self-regulation. Educational Psychologist, 43(1), 1-15.
- Payakachat, N., Gubbins, P . O., Ragland, D., Norman, S. E., Flowers, S. K., & Stowe, C. D., & Hastings, J. K. (2013). Academic help-seeking behavior among student pharmacists. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 77(1), 1-11.
- Roussel, P ., Elliot, A. J., & Feltman, R. (2011). The influence of achievement goals and social goals on help-seeking from peers in an academic context. Learning and Instruction, 21(3), 394-402.
- Ryan, A. M., Patrick, H., & Shim, S. O. (2005). Differential profiles of students identified by their teacher as having avoidant, appropriate, or dependent help-seeking tendencies in the classroom. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97(2), 275-285.
- Ryan, A. M., & Shim, S. S. (2012). Changes in help seeking from peers during early adolescence: Associations with changes in achievement and perceptions of teachers. Journal of Educational Psychology, 104(4), 11-22.
- Ryan, A. M., & Shin, H. (2011). Help-seeking tendencies during early adolescence: An examination of motivational correlates and consequences for achievement. Learning and Instruction, 21(2), 247-256.
- Sakiz, G. (2011). Mastery and performance approach goal orientations in relation to academic self-efficacy beliefs and academic help seeking behaviors of college students in Turkey. Educational Research, 2(1), 771-778.
- Sánchez Rosas, J., & Pérez, E. (2015). Measuring threats, benefits, emotional costs and avoidance of academic help-seeking in Argentinian university students. Pensamiento Psicológico, 13(2), 49-64.
- Seo, M. (2008). Mathematics teachers' perceived instructional styles and their support of academic help-seeking in relation to their students' styles of help-seeking. Japanese Journal of Educational Psychology, 56(2), 243-255.
- Sharma, H. L., & Nasa, G. (2016). Structural equation model reviewing relationships among goal orientation, academic self-efficacy , academic help-seeking behaviour and achievement. International Journal of Management (IJM), 7(1), 94-102.
- Shih, S. S. (2007). The role of motivational characteristics in Taiwanese sixth graders' avoidance of help seeking in the classroom. The Elementary School Journal, 107(5), 473-495.
- Talepasand, S., & Keshaavarzi, Z. (2012). Predictors of avoidance of help-seeking: Social achievement goal orientation, perceived social competence and autonomy. World Applied Sciences Journal, 17(5), 637-642.
- Tanaka, A., Murakami, Y ., Okuno, T., & Yamauchi, H. (2002). Achievement goals, attitudes toward help seeking, and help-seeking behavior in the classroom. Learning and Individual Differences, 13(1), 23-35.
- Tully, L. M. (2012). The Influence of praise on help-seeking behavior in young children (Doctoral dissertation, UC San Diego). Retrieved from https://cloudfront.eschol arship.org/dist/prd/content/qt50n789s2/qt50n789s2.pdf
- Turner, J. C., Midgley, C., Meyer, D. K., Gheen, M., Anderman, E. M., Kang, Y ., & Patrick, H. (2002). The classroom environment and students' reports of avoidance strategies in mathematics: A multimethod study. Journal of Educational Psychology, 94(1), 88.
- Vaessen, B. E., Prins, F. J., & Jeuring, J. (2014). University students' achievement goals and help-seeking strategies in an intelligent tutoring system. Computers and Education, 72, 196-208.
- Vredenburgh, C., & Kushnir, T. (2016). Young children's help-seeking as active information gathering. Cognitive Science, 40(3), 697-722.
- White, M. C. (2011). Predicting success in teacher certification testing: The role of academic help seeking. Online Submission, 7(1), 24-44.
- Williams, J. D. , & Takaku, S. (2011). Help seeking, self-efficacy, and writing performance among college students. Journal of Writing Research, 3(1), 118.
- Yang, Y ., Taylor, J., & Cao, L. (2016). The 3 x 2 achievement goal model in predicting online student test anxiety and help-seeking. International Journal of E-Learning and Distance Education, 32(1), 1-16.
- Zimmerman, B. J., & Martinez-Pons, M. (1986). Development of a structured interview for assessing student use of self-regulated learning strategies. American Educational Research Journal, 23, 614- 628.
Abstract Views: 84
PDF Views: 0