Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Stress of Aged Elderly:A Review
Stress is as the result of an interaction between an individual's emotional, intellectual, social and physical resources and the demands on him or her. Argued that stress is a different phenomenon from pressure. Stress is something more than pressure. It carries strong overtones of the breakdown of normal performance. Stress is an inevitable part of living. Most o f the stress symptoms that senior citizen generally face are fear of death, feeling of insecurity and general excitement, fatigue, insomnia, gastrointestinal disturbances, depression of spirits, emotional instability, inferiority feelings, pains and headaches, indecision, intolerance, suicidal pre-occupation, panic states, giddiness and genitourinary symptoms and other physiological disturbances. Therefore, the study aims to review variables such as income and social security, social environment and health status which causes for stress among aged elderly.
Stress, Income and Social Security, Social Environment and Health Status, Aged Elderly.
- Aggarwal, K. (2003). Correlates of life satisfaction: An analysis. International Journal o f Aging and Human Development, 24,203-211.
- Alam, M. (2004). Ageing, old age income security and reforms: An exploration of Indian situation. Economic and Political Weekly, 39(33), 3731-3740.
- Aldwin, C.M. (1994). Stress, coping, and development: An integrative perspective. New York: Guilford.
- Anand,N. (2004). Age well: Feel young and be young. Social Welfare, 51(7), 11-15.
- Ansari, S., & Dhakar, R. (2014). Life satisfaction, stress and coping o f aged widows and widowers living withfamily and in old age homes. Ph.D Thesis (Unpublished), Dep. of HDFS, CHS, MPUAT, Udaipur
- Banker, K., Prajapati, B., & Kedia, G. (2011). Study ofhealth profile of residents of geriatric home in Ahmedabad district. National Journal o f Community Medicine, 2(3), 378-382.
- Berner, Y.N., Stem, F., Polyyak, Z., & Pray, Y. (2002). The problems of aged in urban India: A study in the union territory of Pandichery. Indian Journal o f Community Service, 6, 27-29.
- Bhatia, S. (2002). Where will they go? Social Welfare, 49, 294-232.
- Borg, C., Hallberg, I., & Blomqvist, K. (2006). Life satisfaction among older people (65+) with reduced self-care capacity: The relationship to social, health and financial aspects. Journal o f Clinical Nursing, 15(5), 607-618.
- Catanzaro, S.J., Horaney, F., & Creasey, G. (1995). Hassles, coping, and depressive symptoms in an elderly community sample: The role of mood regulation expectancies. Journal o f Counseling Psychology, 42(3), 259-265.
- Chou, K.L.,& Chi, I. (2002). Successful aging among the young-old, old-old, and oldestold Chinese. International Journal o f Aging and Human Development, 54(), 1-14.
- Dalai, A.K. (2001). Where suffering ends and healing begins. Psychological Studies, 48(3), 114-126.
- De Beurs, E., Beekman, A., Geerlings, S., Deeg, D., Van Dyck, R , & Van Tilburg, W. (2001). On becoming depressed or anxious in late life: Similar vulnerability factors but different effects ofstressful life events. British Journal o f Psychiatry, 179,426-431.
- Dubey, A., Bhasin, S., Gupta, N., & Sharma, N. (2011). A study o f elderly living in old age home and within family set-up in Jammu. Studies on Home and Community Science, 5(2), 93-98.
- Fitzpatrick, T.R. (1998). Bereavement events among elderly men: The effects of stress and health. Journal o f Applied Gerontology, 17(2), 204-228.
- Glass, T.A., Kasl, S.V., & Berkman, L.F. (1997). Stressful life events and depressive symptoms among the elderly. Journal o f Aging and Health, 9(1), 70-89.
- Goswami, I. (2005). Ageing India, sociological issues. Presented in Indian Sociological Congress.
- Holden, K.C., Burkhauser, R.V., & Myers, D.A. (1986). Income transitions at older stages of life: The dynamics of poverty. Gerontologist, 26(3), 292-297.
- Holmes, T.H, & Rahe, R.H. (1967). The Social Readjustment Rating Scale. Journal o f Psychosomatic Research, 77(2), 213-218.
- Hae-Sook, J., Ruth, D.E., & Beverly, R.L. (2006). Worries of the oldest-old. Health and Social Work, 31(A), 256-265.
- Jungreen, K.E.,& Phyllis, S.N. (2002). The elderly still contributing. Family Welfare, 25, 26-29.
- Kanner, A.D., Coyne, J.C., Schaefer, C., & Lazarus, R. (1981). Comparison of two modes of stress measurement: Daily hassles (worries) and uplifts vs. major life events. Journal of.'Behavioral Medicine, 4( 1), 1-39.
- Kraaij, V., Arensman, E., & Spinhoven, P. (2002). Negative life events and depression in elderly persons: A meta-analysis. Journals o f Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 57B(1), P87-P94.
- Krause, N., Jay, G., & Liang, J. (1991). Financial strain and psychological well-being among the American and Japanese elderly. Psychol Aging, 6(2), 170-181.
- Krause, N. (1988). Positive life events and depressive symptoms in older adults. Behavioral Medicine, 14(3), 101-112.
- Lazarus, R.S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York: Springer.
- Litwin, H. (2002). Activity, social network and well being: An empirical examination. Canadian Journal o f Aging, 19(3), 343-362.
- Moos, R.H., Brennan, P.L., Schutte, K.K., & Moos, B.S. (2006). Older adults coping with negative life events: Common processes of managing health, interpersonal, and financial/work stressors. IntemationalJoumal o f Aging and Human Development, 62(1), 39-59.
- Nalini, B. (2000). Institutional care for the aged: Life twilight years. Indian Journal o f Community Guidance Service, 6(1), 27-29.
- Oza, D. (2008). Adjustment problem o f aging women mental health and aging women: Important correlates. P. 237.
- Pruchno, R.A., Burant, C.J., & Peters, N.D. (1997). Coping strategies o f people living in multi generational households: Effects on well-being. Psychol Aging, 12(1), 115-124.
- Rajan, S.I., Mishra, U.S., & Sharma, P.S. (1999). Indian elderly: Burden or challenge? New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Randhawa, N.S. (1997). The rural and urban aged. Indian Journal o f Social Research, 33, 83-87.
- Rathi, R., & Radhika, R. (2012). Socioeconomic status and life satisfaction in crosscultural perspective: The elderly in Japan and India. International Journal o f Humanities and Social Science, 2, 16.
- Schmidt, J.A., & Padilla, B. (2003). Self-esteem and family challenge: An investigation of their effects on achievement. Journal o f Youth and Adolescence, 32(1), 37-46.
- Sood, N. (2005). Leisure activity and adjustment in old age. Sociological Abstract, 32, 529-530.
- Wang, J.J. (2001). Prevalence and correlates of depressive symptoms in the elderly of rural communities in southern Taiwan. Journal o f Nursing Research, 9 ,1-12.
- Wasson, S. (2011). Social adjustment of women in urban areas. In D.V.K. Mahajan (Ed.), Contemporary Indian women: Collected -works 1996 (pp. 177-248). New Delhi: Academic publishers.
- Wilburn, V.R., & Smith, D.E. (2005). Stress, self-esteem, and suicidal ideation in late adolescents. Journal o f Adolescence, 40(151), 33-45.
- William, J.E. (2003). The psychological, financial and social problems of aged. Journal o f Geriatric Psychology, 28,41-46.
- Wang, J.J. (2001). Prevalence and correlates of depressive symptoms in the elderly of rural communities in southern Taiwan. Journal o f Nursing Research, 9(3), 1-12.
- Yadav, K., & Mishra, S. (2011). Astudy about depression and stress among older people. INational Journal o f Multidisciplinary Research and Development, 7(4), 07-11.
- Yang, T., Rockett, I.R., Lv, Q., & Cottrell, R.R. (2012). Stress status and related characteristics among urban residents: A six-province capital cities study in China. PLoSOne, 7, e30521.
- Yang, T., Rockett, I.R., Lv, Q., & Cottrell, R.R. (2009). Stress status and related characteristics among urban residents: A six-province capital cities study in China. PLoSOne, 7, e30521.
- Zunzuneguia, M.V., Belanda, F., & Oterob, A. (2001). A support from children, living arrangements, self-rated health and depressive symptoms of older people in Spain. The International Journal o f Epidimeology, 30(5), 1090-1099. Maria.victoria. zunzunegui @umontreal.ca
Abstract Views: 61
PDF Views: 0