Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Tobacco Consumption Behavior's Study amongst Individuals in Mumbai
Tobacco consumption is the notable cause of death among people globally. It is consumed in numerous ways. This study examines prevalence of smoking and tobacco consumption among population in Mumbai. The study observes the elements of tobacco consumption among different age groups. Based on primary data a three-stage observation of survey, the socio-economic characteristics, tobacco consumption habits and respondent's awareness about adverse effects of tobacco use were studied. The study reveals the fact that tobacco consumption is more prevalent among males especially at the 20-30 years age group. Common respondents were aware about the health intimidations due to tobacco intake. One significant factor found in this study was that family members were unaware about their tobacco consumption habit. The respondents generally do not share the malicious habits with the family members and deprive the cumulative efforts of abandoning crooked habit.
Tobacco, Consumption, Ill Effects, Awareness, Mumbai.
- Avasn-Maruthit, Y., Rao, R.S., Palivela, H., & Thakre, S. (2004). Impact of gutkha chewing and smoking on microbial environment of oral cavity: A case study on slum dwellers of selected areas in Visakhapatnam. Journal o f Environmental Science and Engineering, 46(4), 268-273.
- Balaram, P., Sridhar, H., Rajkumar, T., Vaccarella, S., Herrero, R , Nandakumar, A., Ravichandran, K., Ramdas, K., Sankaranarayanan, R , Gajalakshmi, V., Munoz, N., & Franceschi, S. (2002). Oral cancer in southern India: The influence of smoking, drinking, paan-chewing and oral hygiene. International Journal o f Cancer, 98(3), 440-445.
- Bathi, R.J., Parveen, S., & Burde, K. (2009). The role of gutka chewing in oral submucous fibrosis: Acase-control study. Quintessence International, 40(6), el9-25.
- Braun, S., Mejia, R , Ling, P.M., & Perez-Stable, E.J. (2008). Tobacco industry targeting youth in Argentina. Tobacco Control, 17(2), 111-117. doi:tc.2006.018481. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Diez-Roux, A.V., Merkin, S.S., Hannan, P., Jacobs, D.R., & Kiefe, C.I. (2003). Area characteristics, individual-level socioeconomic indicators, and smoking in young adults: The coronary artery disease risk development in young adults' study. American Journal o f Epidemiology, 157(4), 315-326. doi:10.1093/aje/kwf207. [PubMed]
- Diez Roux, A. V., Merkin, S. S., Hannan, P., Jacobs, D .R .,& Kiefe, C. I. (2003). Area characteristics, individual-level socioeconomic indicators, and smoking in young adults: the coronary artery disease risk development in young adults study. American Journal o f Epidemiology, 757(4), 315-326.
- Dikshit, R.P., & Kanhere, S. (2000). Tobacco habits and risk of lung, oropharyngeal and oral cavity cancer: A population-based case-control study in Bhopal, India. International Journal o f Epidemiology, 29(4), 609-614.
- Fukuda, Y., Nakao, H., & Imai, H. (2007). Different income information as an indicator for health inequality among Japanese adults. Journal o f Epidemiology, 77(3), 93-99. doi:10.2188/jea.l7.93. [PubMed]
- Gajalakshmi, V., Whitlock, G., & Peto, R. (2012). Effect of tobacco chewing, tobacco smoking and alcohol on all-cause and cancer mortality: A cohort study from Trivandrum, India. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 91-98.
- Gajalakshmi, V., Whitlock, G., & Peto, R (2012). Social inequalities, tobacco. Cancer Causes Control, 25(11), 91-98. Https://doi.org/10.1007/sl0552-012-9905-l
- Gilpin, E.A., White, M.M., Messer, K., & Pierce, J.P. (2007). Receptivity to tobacco advertising and promotions among young adolescents as a predictor of established smoking in young adulthood. American Journal o f Public Health, 97(8), 1489-1495. doi:AJPH.2005.070359. [PMCfreearticle] [PubMed]
- Giovino, G.A. (1999). Epidemiology of tobacco use among US adolescents. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 1(1), S31-S40. doi:10.1080/14622299050011571. [PubMed]
- Giovino, G. A. (1999). Epidemiology of tobacco use among US adolescents. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 7(1), S31-40.
- Goodchild, M., Nargis, N., & Tursan d'Espaignet, E. (2018). Global economic cost of smoking attributable diseases. 'Tobacco Control, 27, 58-64.
- Hashibe, M., Sankaranarayanan, R , Thomas, G., Kuruvilla, B., Mathew, B., Somanathan, T., Parkin, D.M., & Zhang, Z.F. (2002). Body mass index, tobacco chewing, alcohol drinking and the risk of oral submucous fibrosis in Kerala, India. Cancer Causes Control, 75(1), 55-64.
- India stat: India position in production of Tobacco 2016 (food & agriculture organization)
- Jayalekshmi, P.A., Gangadharan, P., Akiba, S., Koriyama, C., & Nair, R.R. (2011). Oral cavity cancer risk in relation to tobacco chewing and bidi smoking among men in Karunagappally, Kerala, India: Karunagappally cohort study. Cancer Science, 102(2), 460-467.
- Jayalekshmi, P.A., Gangadharan, P., Akiba, S., Nair, R.R., Tsuji, M., & Rajan, B. (2009). Tobacco chewing and female oral cavity cancer risk in Karunagappally cohort, India. British Journal o f Cancer, 100, 848-852.
- Jha, P., Jacob, B., Gajalakshmi, V., Gupta, P.C., Dhingra, N., Kumar, R., Sinha, D.N., Dikshit, R.P., Parida, D.K., Kamadod, R., Boreham, J., & Peto, R. (2008). A nationally representative case control study of smoking and death in India. New England Journal o f Medicine, 555(11), 1137-1147.
- Khuder, S.A.,Dayal,H.H., &Mutgi,A.B. (1999). Age at smoking onset and its effect on smoking cessation. Addictive Behaviors, 24(5), 673-677. doi: S0306-4603(98) 00113-0. [PubMed]
- Laaksonen, M., Rahkonen, O., Karvonen, S., & Lahelma, E. (2005). Socioeconomic status and smoking: Analysing inequalities with multiple indicators. European Journal o f Public Health, 75(3), 262-269. doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckill5. [PubMed]
- Ling, P.M., & Glantz, S.A. (2002). Why and how the Tobacco industry sells cigarettes to young adults: Evidence from industry documents. American Journal o f Public Health, 92,908-916. [PMC free article][PubMed]
- List of Unbranded Tobacco Products Consumed in India Produced in the Unorganised Sector (n.d.). Retrieved February 10, 2019, from https://www.tiionline.org/factssheets/ tobacco-consumption/list-of-unbranded-tobacco-products-consumed-inindiaproduced-in-the-unorganised-sector/
- Lok Sabha Unstarred question No.2252 dated on 28.07
- Muwonge, R , Ramadas, K., Sankila, R., Thara, S., Thomas, G., Vinoda, J., & Sankaranarayanan, R. (2008). Role of tobacco smoking, chewing and alcohol drinking in the risk of oral cancer in Trivandrum, India: Anested case-control design using incident cancer cases. Oral Oncology, 44(5), 446-454.
- Nagarajappa, S., & Prasad, K.V. (2010). Oral microbiota, dental caries and periodontal status in smokeless tobacco chewers in Karnataka, India: A case-control study. Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry, 5(3), 211-219.
- Parmar, G., Sangwan, P., Vashi,P., Kulkami, P., & Kumar, S. (2008). Effect of chewing a mixture of areca nut and tobacco on periodontal tissues and oral hygiene status. Journal o f Oral Science, 50(1), 57-62.
- Rao,D.N., &Desai,P.B. (1998). Risk assessment of tobacco, alcohol and diet in cancers of base tongue and oral tongue: A case control study. Indian .Journal ofCancer, 55(2). 65-72.
- Rao, D.N., Ganesh, B., Rao, R.S., & Desai, P.B. (1994). Risk assessment of tobacco, alcohol and diet in oral cancer: A case-control study. International Journal o f Cancer, 58,469-473.
- Samet, J.M., Howard, C.A., Coultas, D.B., & Skipper, B.J. (1992). Acculturation, education, and income as determinants ofcigarette smoking in New Mexico Hispanics. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, 7(3), 235-240. [PubMed]
- Sankaranarayanan, R., Duffy, S.W., Nair, M.K., Padmakumary, G., & Day, N.E. (1990). Tobacco and alcohol as risk factors in cancer of the larynx in Kerala, India. International Journal o f Cancer, 45, 879-882.
- Sankaranarayanan, R , Duffy, S.W., Padmakumary, G., Day, N.E., & Padmanabhan, T.K. (1989). Tobacco chewing, alcohol and nasal snuff in cancer of the gingiva in Kerala, India. British Journal o f Cancer, 60(4), 638-643.
- Shah, N., & Sharma, P.P. (1998). Role of chewing and smoking habits in the etiology of oral submucous fibrosis (OSF): Acase-control study. .Journal o f Oral Pathology and Medicine, 27(10), 475-479.
- Sinha, D.N., Palipudi, K.M., Gupta, P.C., Singhal, S., Ramasundarahettige, C., Jha, P., Indrayan, A., Asthma, S., & Vendhan, G. (2014). Smokeless tobacco use: A metaanalysis of risk and attributable mortality estimates for India. Indian Journal o f Cancer, 51(1), S73-S77.
- Subapriya, R., Thangavelu, A., Mathavan, B., Ramachandran, C.R., & Nagini, S. (2007). Assessment of risk factors for oral squamous cell carcinoma in Chidambaram, Southern India: A case-control study. European Journal o f Cancer Prevention, 16(3), 251-256.
- Sumanth, S., Bhat, KM., & Bhat, G.S. (2008). Periodontal health status in pan chewers with orwithouttheuseoftobacco. Oral Health and PreventiveDentistry, 6(3), 223-229.
- Tobacco Consumption in India | Beedi Industry revenue India & Chewing Tobacco (n.d.). Retrieved February 10, 2019, from https://www.tiionline.org/factssheets/tobacco-consumption/
- Tobacco Exports from India | Tobacco Export Earnings (n.d.). Retrieved February 10, 2019, fromhttps://www.tiionline.org/facts-sheets/tobacco-exports/
- Tobacco Industry Livelihood | Tobacco Employment in India (n.d.). Retrieved February 10,2019, fromhttps://www.tiionline.org/facts-sheets/livelihood/
- Vellappally, S., Jacob, V., Smejkalova, J., Shriharsha, P., Kumar, V., & Fiala, Z. (2008). Tobacco habits and oral health status in selected Indian population. Central European Journal o f Public Health, 76(2), 77-84.
- Wasnik, K.S., Ughade, S.N., Zodpey, S.P., & Ingole,D.L. (1998). Tobacco consumption practices and risk of oro-pharyngeal cancer: A case-control study in central India. Southeast Asian .Journal o f Tropical Medicine and Public Health, 29(4), 827-834.
- Webb, M.S., & Carey, M.P. (2008). Tobacco smoking among low-income black women: Demographic and psychosocial correlates in a community sample. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 10, 219-229.doi:10.1080/14622200701767845. [PubMed]
- WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic (2008). The MPOWER package. Geneva, World Health Organization.
- World Health Organization, & Bloomberg Philanthropies (2017). WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2017: Monitoring tobacco use and prevention policies? Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/255874/l/9789241512824-eng.pdf?ua=l&ua=l
Abstract Views: 41
PDF Views: 0