Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Study on Nutritional Status of Post-Menopausal Women and their Health Ailments
The present study was planned to determine the nutritional status and menopausal symptoms o f women under the age of 40-60 years and to feed the develop food multi mix product for them. A survey was undertaken with a 80 respondents under the age group o f40-60 years and the data was collected from Imphal East District (Manipur) by using a pre-tested questionnaire. From the survey it was found that most of the women are suffering from menopausal symptoms like fatigue, hot flashes, back pain, constipation, sexual intercourse, mood swings, depressed mood poor concentration, hypertension etc. After getting results from the survey, a food multi mix was developed for improvement of health status of the women. The food multi mix was distributed to the 20 respondents who were mostly affected by menopause symptoms and feeding trial was conducted for 30 days. After completion of 30 days o f supplementation the survey was conducted again and the result shows that 90% of respondents were improved their health after feeding like, fatigue, back pain, legs pain, dizziness, headache, constipation, sleep disturbance, hot flashes, arm pain, etc. A Nutrition Education programme was conducted at the end of the study period, to explain the role of food in post menopausal period and the nutrient requirement like calcium, iron, phosphorous, protein and encourage them to consume in their daily diets to improve their overall health problems.
Nutritional Requirement, Daily Diets, Health Status, Post-menopausal Women, Health Problems.
- Brojeshwor, H., & Sharat, N. (2012). Co-variates of women reproductive span in Manipur, International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 3, IssuelO.
- Christian, D.S., Kathad, M.M., & Bhavsar, B.S. (2012), Health problems of postmenopausal women in rural area of Vadodara district, Gujarat. NationalJoumal of Medical Research, 2(4), 478.
- Doyel, D., & Subha, R. (2009). Menopausal problems among rural and urban women from Eastern India. Journal of Social, Behavioral, and Health Sciences, 5(1), 2033.
- Edralin, A., Hammond, L.J., Veronica, M., Arquitt, A.B., Amanda, T., Brenda, D.A., Soung, J. Y., Bahram, B.P., & Aijmandi, H. (2004). Daily consumption of dried plum by Postmenopausal women does not cause undesirable changes in bowel function. The Journal of Applied Research, 4(1), 37.
- Heesook, L., Tae-Hee, K., & Hae-Hyeog, L. (2016). Study on perception and usage status on health functional foods in women according to menopause status. Journal of Menopausal Medicine, 22, 20-30.
- Jalal, H., Javad, M., Sousan, K., & Mehrangiz, E. (2009). Nutritional status among postmenopausal osteoporotic women in North West of Iran. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1S( 1), 48-53.
- Jansirani, N., Vidya, S., & Muliira, R. (2013). Distress during the menopausal transition and their impact on the quality of life of women. Journal of Nursing and Health Science (IOSR-JNHS)>2( 4), 1-10.
- Kajal, A., & Ashika, T. (2016). A study to find out the relationship between physical performance and menopause amongst healthypre and postmenopausal femalescrosssectional observational study. International Journalfor Research in Health Sciences and Nursing, 2, Issue 3.
- Lwin, A., Mya, T., & Tint, S. (2016). Effect of post-menopausal status on insulin sensitivity. Asian Journal of Medical Science, 7(5), 36-41.
- Madhusudhan, R , & Sadvimani, E. (2014). Knowledge of postmenopausal women on importance of nutrition and life style in prevention and management of osteoporosis. Journal of Academia and Industrial Research (JAIR), 2, Issue 8.
- Monika, S. (2016). Menopausal symptoms and problems among urban women from Western Odisha. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 5(3), 2250-3153.
- Priya, B., Anurag, C., R.K., & Soni, P.K. (2013), Menopausal problems among rural middle aged women of Punjab. International Journal of Research in Health Sciences, 7(3), 103-109.
- Ramalingam, K., & Neeli, U. (2015). Symptoms in post menopausal women. The International J Indian Psychology, 3, Issue 1. ISSN 2348-5396 (e)| ISSN: 23493429(p).
- Rania, L., Mohamed, L., & Mohamed, K. (2012). Nutritional status of menopausal women. International Journal ofScience and Engineering Investigations, 1, Issue 1.
- Ruchita, G., Rajani, R , Manisha, P., Lalitha, G.M., & Renu, R. (2015). Menopausal symptoms among post menopausal women of North India. Journal of south Asian Federation of Menopause Societies, 5(1), 3-5.
- Sagdeo, M.M., & Dimple, A. (2011). Menopausal symptoms: A comparative study in rural and urban women. JK Science, 75(1), 23-26.
- Surya, P., Ashalata, K., Vijaya, B., Kusuma, K., & Nagamani, M. (2015). Study of bone markers (calcium, serum, phosphorus & serum alkaline phosphatase) in post menopausal women in East Godavari district, Andhra Pradesh. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences, 4, Issue 6.
- Samir, T., Midhat, J., & Azijada, B. (2014). Food in health and disease. ScientificProfessional Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics, 5(2), 116-125.
- Sarkar,A.,Pithadia,P., Goswami, K., Bhavsar, S.,Makwana, N., Yadav, S., &Parmar,D. (2014). Study on health profile of post-menopausal women in Jamnagar district, Gujarat. Journal of Research in Medical and Dental Science, 2(2), 25-29.
- Schoppen, S., Carbajal, A., Perez-Granados, A.M., Vivas, F., & Vaquero, P. (2004). Food, energy and macro nutrient in take of postmenopausal women from a Menopause program. Nutrition Hospitalaria, _AX(2), 101-109. ISSN 0212-1611
- Sekar, B.H., Sowmya, S., Hamsalatha, P., Gayathri, G., Priyadarsini, C., Thiripurasundari, M., & Vivekanand, S.P. (2011). Screening the clinical parameters in menopause women. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Science, 2, Issue 3.
- Shailendra, K. (2011). Menopausal transition and postmenopausal health problems. Department of Anthropology, 5(4), 233-237.
- Sheema, M. (2011). Post-menopausal women and their psycho-physical changes. Anthropologist, 75(2), 131-135.
- Shikha, G., Usha, M., Rama, N., & Kasturiba, B. (2012). Menopausal symptoms and nutritional status. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 25(4), 506-509.
- Somibala, T., & Manju, C. (2014). Prevalence for osteoporosis and osteopenia in pre and post menopausal women in India. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR),4, Issue 10.
- Sudhaa, S., Vishal, R., & Annil, M. (2007). Menopausal symptoms of urban women. JK Science, 9(), 13-17.
- Swaraj, R., Amatya, A., & Kanti, G. (2013). Relation of ethnicity and menopausal symptoms in Nepal. Journal of South Asian Federation of Menopause Societies, 1(2), 50-55.
Abstract Views: 7
PDF Views: 1