Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Review of the Consumption Pattern of Outside Foods
Among the many factors accountable for the rapid rise in the restaurant sector, urbanization, increasing nuclear families, changing routines, escalation in the number of dual income households play a far more domineering role. Global cuisines have now become a household phenomenon, given that many consumers now resort to fine dining wherein the consumers not just want to go and eat out. Taste, flavor, texture, safety, warmth, health, freshness, delicacy, fast, convenient, liking, locational attribute, enjoyment, international dining experience, nutritional value, easy accessibility, service promptness, affordable price, portion sizes, speed, ingredients, packaging, attitude of the staff, additional information, satisfaction levels, opening hours, accuracy in billing, design of the restaurant, salty, quality of the food, healthfulness, brand, outstanding reputation, patronization, menu variety, hunger satisfying, dietary diversity are some of the reasons cited by the consumers for the consumption of outside foods. The paper highlights reviews dealing with the consumption pattern of outside foods of consumers from the year 1996 to the year 2014.The study highlights the various aspects of the consumption pattern of outside foods, frequency of consumption, commonly consumed foods, time spent, expenditure per visit along with the reasons and choices for the preferences towards outside foods.
Affordability, Brand, Consumption Pattern, Economical, Preferences, Value for Food.
- Aloia, C. R., Gasevic,D., Yusuf, S., Teo, K., Chockalingam, A., Patro, B. K., Kumar, R., & Lear, S. A. (2013). Differences in perceptions and fast food eating behaviours between Indians living in high and low-income neighbourhoods of Chandigarh, India. Nutrition Journal, 12(4), 21-30.
- Annunziata, A., & Vecchio, R. (2013). Consumer perception of functional foods: A conjoint analysis with probiotics. Food Quality and Preference, 28(1), 348-355.
- Bae, H. J., Chae, M. J., & Ryu, K. (2010). Consumer behaviors towards ready-to-eat foods based on food-related lifestyles in Korea. Nutrition Research and Practice, 4(4),332-338.
- Bargiota, A., Delizona, M., Tsitouras, A., & Koukoulis, G. N. (2013). Eating habits and factors affecting food choice of adolescents living in rural areas. Hormones, 12(2), 246-253.
- Cunha, L. M., De Moura, A. P., Lima, R. C., & Frias, A. (2010). Valorisation of menu labelling at fast food restaurants: Exploring consumer perceptions. Brazilian Journal of Food Technology, 79(21), 55-64.
- Ganasegeran, K., Al-Dubai, S. A., Qureshi, A. M., Al-Abed, A. A., Rizal, A. M., & Aljunid, S. M. (2012). Social and psychological factors affecting eating habits among university students in a Malaysian medical school: A cross-sectional study. ^Nutrition Journal, 77(48), 2-7.
- Ghimire, A. J. (2012). Service quality and customer satisfaction in the restaurant business - Case study of restaurant Sagarmatha in Vantaa. M.Sc (Tourism) Thesis (unpublished),Central Ostrobothnia University of Applied Sciences., Kokkola- Pietarsaari.
- Hirekenchanagoudar, R. (2008). Consumer behaviour towards ready-to-eat food products. MBA (ABM) Project Report(Unpublished), University of Agricultural Sciences., Dharwad.
- Hwang, J., & Cranage, D. (2010). Customer health perceptions of selected fast-food restaurants according to their nutritional knowledge and health consciousness. Journal of Food ServiceBusiness Research, 75(2), 68-84.
- Ibrahim, Y., & Vignali, C. (2005). Predicting consumer patronage behaviour in the egyptian fast food business. Innovative Marketing, 7(2), 60-76.
- Kang, N. E., Kim, J. H., Lee, Y. K., Lee, H. Y., & Kim, W. K. (2010). A study of consumers perceptions and prediction of consumption patterns for generic health functional foods. Nutrition Research a-ndPractice, 4(4), 332-338.
- Kim, K. W., Ahn, Y., & Kim, H. M. (2004). Fast food consumption and related factors among university students in Daejeon. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 9(1), 47-57.
- Kumudha, A., & Thilaga, S. (2013). Buying behaviour of consumers with regard to soft drinks with reference to Coimbatore city. International Journal of Research in Computer Application and Management, 5(11), 52-56.
- Khetarpaul, M.N. (2006). Food consumption pattern of Indian rural preschool children (four to five years).British Food Journal, 795(2), 127-140.
- Monge-Rojas, R., Smith-Castro, V., Colon-Ramos, U., Aragon, M. C., & Herrera- Raven, F. (2013). Psychosocial factors influencing the frequency of fast-food consumption among urban and rural costa Rican adolescents. ^Nutrition, 29(1), 10071012.
- Motus, L. (2012). The behavior of Estonian consumers towards chilled and canned ready meals case study: Portion dishes and canned soups. MBA (Services and Customer Relationship Management) Project Report(Unpublished), Laurea University of Applied Sciences., Hyvinkaa Unit.
- Musaiger, A. O. (2014). Consumption, health attitudes and perception toward fast food among Arab consumers in Kuwait: Gender differences. Global Journal of IHealth Science, 6(6), 136-143.
- Norimah,A. K., Safiah,M., Jamal, K., Siti,H.,Zuhaida,H.,Rohida, S.,Fatimah, S., Siti, N., Poh, B. K., Kandiah, M., Zalilah, M. S., Wan, M. W. M., Fatimah, S., & Azmi, M. Y. (2008). Food consumption patterns: Findings from the Malaysian Adult Nutrition SwrvQy (MAN'S). Malaysian JournalofNutrition, 74(1), 25-39.
- Raghavendra, H. N. (2007). An analysis ofmeat consumption pattern and its retailing: A case of Dharwad district. M.Sc (Agri) Thesis (Unpublished), University of Agricultural Sciences., Dharwad.
- Rahmawaty, S., Charlton, K., Lyons-Wall, P., & Meyer, B. J. (2013). Factors that influence consumption of fish and omega-3 enriched foods: A survey of Australian families with young children. Nutrition andDietetics, 70(4), 286-293.
- Seo, H., Lee, S. K., & Nam, S. (2011). Factors influencing fast food consumption behaviors of middle-school students in Seoul: An application of theory of planned behaviors. Nutrition Research andPractice, 5(2), 169-178.
- Shaikh, S. A. (2010). Marketing management of confectionary units in twin cities of Hubli-Dharwad. MBA (ABM) Project Report (Unpublished), University of Agricultural Sciences., Dharwad.
- Shoyemi, A. O. (2014). Consumer's perception of international quick service restaurants in Nigeria: A case study of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). MBA (International) Project Report(Unpublished), Dublin Business School., Nigeria.
- Stewart, H., Blisard, N., Jolliffe, D., & Bhuyan, S. (2005). The demand for food away from home: Do other preferences compete with our desire to eat healthfully? JoMrwa/ of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 30(3), 520-536.
- Steyn, N. P., Labadarios, D., & Nel, J. H. (2011). Factors which influence the consumption of street foods and fast foods in South Africa-A national survey. Nutrition Journal, 79(104), 10-20.
- Thakkar, K., & Thatte, M. R. (2014). Consumer perceptions of food franchise: A study of McDonald's and KFC. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 4(3), 1-5.
- The Third Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-Based Survey (2008). Ministry of health, welfare andfamil-y affairs. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Seoul, pp. 126-147.
- Thiruselvakumar, D., Sinuvasan, K. S., Chakravarthy, R., & Venkatesh, E. (2014). Factors affecting food choice and attitude of choosing food items among adolescents in South India. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 4(4), 1-3.
- Varun, T. C. (2008). Consumption behaviour of coffee and tea in Karnataka. M.Sc (Agricultural Economics) Thesis(Unpublished), University of Agricultural Sciences., Dharwad.
- Wein, E. E., Freeman, M. M. R., & Makus, J. C. (1996). Use of and preference for traditional foods among the Belcher Island Inuit. Arctic, 49(3), 256-264.
Abstract Views: 5
PDF Views: 0