Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Locus of Control and Pattern of Parental Care among Adolescents of Kashmir
This study investigates locus of control and its relationship with parental care and overprotection among adolescents of Kashmir. The sample comprised of300 school going adolescents belonging to an age group of 16-18 yrs. Out of 300, 150 were males and 150 were females. LOC scale by Rotter, Tupling 78 and Parental bonding instrument by Parker, & Brown were used to measure these variables. Results revealed significant gender ditferences in relation to parental care and overprotection among boys & girls.
Locus of Control, Care, Overprotection, Adolescents.
- Abdullah, T. M. (1989). Selfesteem and locus of control ofcollegemenin Saudi Arabia. PsychogicalReports, 65,1323-1326.
- Bayati, J., Saberi, H., & Jazayeri, S. (2014). Relationship between income, education, locus control and style of authoritarian parenting in Tehran. Reef Resources Assessment a~nd Management, Technical Paper, 40(3), 317-324.
- Bemado, A.B.I. (2010). Exploring Filipino adolescents perceptions of the legitimacy of parental authority over academic behaviors. Journal of Applied Development Psychology, 31, 273-280.
- Bhattacherjee, A., & Debbrama, R. (2015). Parental bonding styles among higher secondary school students. Indian Journal of Psychology and Education, 57(1), 6167.
- Bowlby, J. (1977). The making and breaking of affectional bonds. British Journal of Psychiatry, 130, 201-210.
- Bowlby, J. (1988). A secure base: Parent child attachment and healthy human development. New York: Basic books.
- Carlo, G., McGinley, M., Hayes, Batenhorst, C., & Wilkinson, J. (2007). Parenting style or practices. Parenting, sympathy and prosocial behaviors among adolescents. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 168(2), 147-176.
- Imitiaz, S., & Nagvi, I. (2012). Parental attachment and identity styles among adolescents: Moderating role of Gender. Pakistan Journal of Psychological Research, 27 (2), 241-264.
- Keshavarz, S., & Bhamdin, R. (2012). The moderating role of gender on the relationships between perceived parental parenting style, locus of control and self- Qfficacy. ProcediaSocialandBehavioralSciences, 32, 63-68.
- Lefcourt, H.M. (1983). Research with locus of control Costruct: Development and Social problems. NewYorkAcademic Press, 2.
- Lloyd, K., & Devine, P. (2006). Parenting practices in Northen Ireland: Evidence from theNorthenIrelandhouseholdpanelsurvey. Child Care in Practice, 12, 365-376.
- Marsigilia, C.S., Walczyk, J.J., Buboltz, W.C., & Griffith- Ross, D.A. (2007). Impact of parenting styles and locus of control on emerging adults psychosocial success. Journal of Education and Human Development, 1, Issue 1. retrieved Nov. 27,2007, http://www.gcchq.com
- Mishra, S., & Shanwal, V.K. (2014). Role of family environment in developing selfefficacy of adolescents. Integrated Journal of Social Science, 7(1), 28-30.
- Pong, S., Johnstone, J., & Chen, V. (2010). Authoritarian parenting and Asian school performance: Insights from the US and Taiwan. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 34(1), 62-72.
- Rotter, J.B. (1966). Generalized expectancies of internal versus external control of reinforcements. Psychological Monographs, 80(1), 1-28.
- Rozumah, B., & Nor Shereen, Z. (2009). Relationships with father and mother, selfesteem and academic achievements amongst college students. American Journal of Scientfic Research, 6, 86-94.
- Schmitz, N., Neumann, W., & Oppermann, R. (2000). Stress, Burnout and locus of control in German nurses. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 37(2), 99-101.
- Seif, A. (2009). Psychology educatio-n and Gaining. Tehran:AgahPublications Printing 14.
- Supple, A. J., & Small, S. A. (2006). The influence of parental support, knowledge, and authoritative parenting on Hmong and European American adolescent development. Journal of Family Issues, 27(9), 1214-1232.
- Zaidi, I.H., & Mohsin, M.N. (2013). Locus of control in graduation students. International Journal of Psychological Research, 6(1), 15-20.
Abstract Views: 64
PDF Views: 0