Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
The Effectiveness of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy in Dealing with the Consequences of Childhood Sexual Abuse and Intellectual Giftedness:A Case Report
The purpose of the case study was to evaluate the effectiveness of dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) in dealing with the trauma and psychological consequences of experiencing childhood sexual abuse; coupled with the challenges of presence of intellectual giffedness in a 12 year old adolescent girl. An intellectually gifted, highly imaginative and creative 12 year old adolescent, with a history of* repeated incidence of childhood sexual abuse, and presenting complaints of being overly sensitive, heightened reaction to stress provoking situations, psychosomatic reactions to stress, self harming behaviour, feeling of subjective distress, pervasive feeling of loneliness and lack of trust in people; was undertaken for psychological intervention. The above mentioned symptoms and the added vulnerability and susceptibility with respect to intellectual giftedness were addressed within the framework of dialectical behaviour therapy. The challenge was to address the symptoms of the adolescent, keeping in mind the additional dimension of her intellectual superiority and associated psychological features. Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) was found to significantly reduce incidence of self harming behaviour and successfully address low frustration and distress tolerance, emotional dysregulation, feeling of subjective distress and psychosomatic reactions to stress.
Childhood Sexual Abuse, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Intellectual Giftedness, High Imaginativeness.
- Bauman, J. E. (1988). Mensa education and research foundation awards for excellence in research. Gifted Child Quarterly, 32 (4), 370-370. doi:10.1177/0016 98628803 200409
- Berceli, D. (2015). Trauma release exercises: A revolutionary methodfor stress and trauma recovery (5th ed.). 2015 Dr.DavidBerceli.
- Berceli, D., Salmon, M., Bonifas, R., & Ndefo, N. (2014). Effects of self-induced unclassified therapeutic tremors on quality of life among non-professional caregivers: A pilot study. Global Advances in Health and Medicine, 3(5), 45-48. doi:10.7453/gahmj.2014.032
- Colliflower, T. J. (2013). Interpretation of the WISC-IV -working memory index as a measure of attention (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from Marshall Digital Scholar
- Conlon/Iowa State University Digital repository, J. L. (2009). One whole or one-half: A case study of an identical twin's exploration of personal identity through family perceptions (Master's thesis). doi:10.14713/pcsp.vl0il.l845
- Edwards, D. (2010). Retrieved from https://www.ru.ac.za/media/rhodesuniversity/content/psychology/documents/David%20Edwards%20Case%20study%20writing%20guidelines%202010.pdf
- Effects of CSA on the Victim [Web log post] (n.d.). Retrieved from http://victimso fcrime.org/media/reporting-on-child-sexual-abuse/effects-of-csa-on-the-victim
- Geisser, S., & Rizvi, S. L. (2014). The case of "Sonia" through the lens of dialectical behavior therapy. Pragwa/zc Case Studies in Psychotherapy, 10(1), 30-39.
- Guidelines for Submitting Case Reports (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/pubs/joumals/aap/guidelines-submitting-case-reports.aspx
- Hall,M., &Hall, J. (2011). The long-term effects of childhood sexual abuse: Counseling implications. Retrieved from http://counselingoutfitters.com/vistas/vistasll/ Article_19.pdf
- Higham, S. J., & Navarre, J. (1984). Gifted adolescent females require differential treatment. Journal for the Education of the Gifted, 8(1), 43-58. doi:10.1177/ 016235328400800105
- Jackson, P. S., & Peterson, J. (2003). Depressive disorder in highly gifted adolescents. Journal of Secondary Gifted Education, 74(3), 175-186. doi:10.4219/jsge-2003-429
- Linehan, M. M. (2004). dialectical 'behaviour therapy skills handbook (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Marti, Y. (2012). Amit Bernstein, Anka A Vujanovic and Michael J Zvolensky, Distress tolerance: Theory, research and clinical applications. Journal of Social Work, 12(3), 337-338. doi:10.1177/1468017311420503d
- Migliore, D. A. (2009). Predictors of binge eating: Perfectionism, distress tolerance and eating self-efficacy (Doctoral dissertation).
- McKay, M., Wood, J. C., & Brantley, J. (2007). The dialectical 'behavior therap-y skills workbook (2nd ed.). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications Inc.
- Moore, D. (n.d.). An example psychological caseformulation: PTSD treatment using CBT [C7548]. Retrieved from https://www.scribd.com/doc/31758936/An- Example-Psychological-Case-Formulation-PTSD-Treatment-Using-CBT-C7548
- Neihart, M. (1999). The impact of giftedness on psychological well-being: What does the empirical literature say? Roeper Review, 22(1), 10-17. doi:10.1080/027831 99909553991
- Nicholson, C.L., & Alcorn, C.L. (April, 1993). Interpretation of the WISC-III and Its Subtests. Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the National.
- Obermeyer, A. (2011). Trauma psychology in Israel: An interview with Danny Brom, PhD, Director, Israel Center for the Treatment of Psychotrauma. Psycextra Dataset, Vol. 13. doi:10.1037/e671812012-004
- Onyut, L. P., Neuner, F., Schauer, E., Ertl, V., Odenwald, M., Schauer, M., & Elbert, T. (2005). Narrative exposure therapy as a treatment for child war survivors with posttraumatic stress disorder: Two case reports and a pilot study in an African refugee settlement. BMC Psychiatry 3(5), 7. doi:10.1186/1471-244x-5-7
- Palmer, R. L. (2002). Dialectical behaviour therapy for borderline personality disorder. Advances in Psychiatric 'Treatment, 3(01), 10-16. doi:10.1192/apt.8.1.10
- Safer, D. L., Couturier, J. L., & Lock, J. (2007). Dialectical behavior therapy modified for adolescent binge eating disorder: A case report. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 14(2), 157-167. doi:10.1016/j.cbpra.2006.06.001
- Schuler, P. A. (2000). Perfectionism and gifted adolescents. Journal of Secondary Gifted Education, 77(4), 183-196. doi:10.4219/jsge-2000-629
- Stevens, M., Bond, L., Pryce, C., Roberts, H. M., & Platt, S. (2008). Prevention of suicide and suicidal behaviour in adolescents. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. doi:10.1002/14651858.cd007322
- Thinkcases (n.d.). Retrieved fromhttp://mypage.siu.edu/gmieling/548a/thinkcases.htm
- Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE) (2013, December 28). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27VgK0LrR3Q
- Trauma: Childhood Sexual Abuse [Web log post] (2013, March 12). Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.eom/blog/somatic-psychology/201303/trauma- childhood-sexual-abuse
Abstract Views: 5
PDF Views: 0