Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Impact of Caregiver's Stress on Cancer Patient's Level of Anxiety and Depression
The present paper was an attempt to ascertain the impact of caregivers' stress on the level of anxiety and depression of cancer patients. For the said purpose the study was conducted on 200 cancer patients and 200 caregivers (family members) of cancer patients. All of them were selected purposively trom the Regional Cancer Hospital, Agartala, Tripura. Kingston Caregiver Stress Scale (KCSS), State-Trait Anxiety Inventory and Beck's Depression Inventory were used for the data collection. The findings revealed that majority of the family caregivers of cancer patients had high level of stress followed by moderate level of stress. The results also showed that stress of caregivers of cancer patients had significant impact on anxiety and depression feeling of the cancer patients.
Cancer, Caregivers, Anxiety, Depression, Cancerpatients.
- Andersen, B.L., Anderson, B., & DeProsse, C. (1989). Controlled prospective longitudinal study of women with cancer: II. Psychological outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 57,692-697.
- Ansari, B., & Qureshi, S.S. (2013). Stress and coping in caregivers of cancer. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 4(11), 558-563.
- Awadalla,A.W., Ohaeri, J.U., Gholoum, A., Khalid,A.O., Hamad, H.M., & Jacob,A. (2007). Factors associated with quality of life of outpatients with breast cancer and gynecologic cancers and their family care givers:Acontrolled study..BMC Cancer, 7,102.
- Bakas, T., Lewis, R.R., & Parson, J.E. (2001). Caregiving tasks among family caregivers of patients with lung cancer. Oncology Nursing For^m, 28, 847-854.
- Barry, G.M. (2010). Caregiver stress: It's real, and its impact can ^be severe how to avoid the epidemic. Business West, p. 58.
- Beck, A.T., Ward, C.H., Mendolson, M., Mock, J. E., & Erbaugh, J. K. (1961). An inventory for measuring depression, Archives of General Psychiatry, 4, 561-571.
- Bhttacharjee, A. (2014). Emotional control of cancer patients: A comparative insvestigation. Journal of Psychosocial Research, P(l), 19-26.
- Carey, P.J., Oberst, M.T., McCubbin, M.A., & Hughes, S.H. (1991). Appraisal and caregiving burden in family members caring for patients receiving chemotherapy. Oncology Nursing Forum, 75(8), 1341-1348.
- Dizen, D.S. (2009). Quality of life after breast cancer. Survivorship and sexuality. Breast Cancer, 75(5), 500-504.
- Fisch, M. J., Callahan, C.M., & Kesterson, J.G. et al. (1999). The use of an electronic patient record system to identify advanced cancer patients and antidepressant drug use. Journal of PalliativeMedicine, 2(4), 403-409.
- Formica, V., Pellegrino, R., Portarena, I., Mariotti, S., & Roselli, M. (2008). Caregiver distress in the early phases of cancer disease. Annals of Oncology, 7P(9), ix-120.
- Gaugler, J.E., Hanna, N., Linder, J., Given, C.W., Tolbert, V., Kataria, R., & Regine, W.F. (2005). Cancer caregiving and subjective stress: A multi-site, multidimensional analysis Pschycoonlogy. 74(9), 771-785.
- Hopkins, R.W., & Kilik, L.A. (2013). Kingston Caregiver Stress Scale. Geriatric Psychiatry Programme, Providence Care, Mental Health Services, Kingston, Canada.
- Howard, A.F., Balneaves, L.G., & Bottorff, J. F. (2007). Ethnocultural women's experiences ofbreast cancer: Aqualitative meta study. CancerNursing, 30(4), E27- E35.
- Landmark, B.T., Standmark, M., & Warl, A.K. (2001). Living with newly diagnosed breast cancer the meaning of existential issues: A qualitative study of 10 women with newly diagnosed breast cancer based on grounded theory. Cancer Nursing, 24(3), 220-226.
- Lim, S, M., Kim, H. C., & Lee, S. (2013). Psychosocial impact of cancer patients on theirfamily members. Cancer Res 'Treat, 45(3), 226-233.
- Mehnert, A., & Koch, U. (2008). Psychological comorbidity and health related quality of life and its association with awareness, utilization, and need for psychosocial support in a cancer register based sample of long term cancer survivors. .Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 64,383-391.
- Mellon, S.,Northouse, L.L., & Weiss, L. (2006). Apopulation-based study of the quality of life of cancer survivors and their family caregivers. CancerNursing, 29(2), 120131.
- Mystakidou, K., Tsilika, E., Parpa, E., Katsouda, E., Galanos, A., & Vlahos, L. (2006). Psychological distress of patients with advanced cancer: Influence and contribution of pain severity and pain interference. CancerNursing, 5,400-405.
- Mystakidou, K., Tsilika, E., Parpa, E., Katsouda, E., Galanos, A., & Vlahos, L. (2005). Assessment of anxiety and depression in advanced cancer patients and their relationship with quality of life. Quality of Life Research, 74(8), 1825-1833.
- Nijboer, C., Tempelaar, R., Sanderman, R., Triemstra, M., Spruijt, R.J., & van den Bos, G.A. (1998). Cancer and caregiving: The impact on the caregiver's health. Psychooncology, 7(1),3-13.
- Northouse, L.L. (1995). The impact of cancer in women on the family. Cancer Practice, 5,134-142.
- Northouse, L.L., Mood, D., Kershaw, T., Schafenacker, A., Mellon, S., Walker, J., Galvin, E., & Decker, V. (2002). Quality of life of women with recurrent breast cancer andtheir family members. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 20(19), 4050-4064.
- Nosarti, C., Roberts, J.V., Crayford, T., McKenzie, V., & David,A. S. (2002). Early psychological adjustment in breast cancer patients: A prospective study. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 53,1123-1130.
- Rabin, E.G., Heldt, E., Hirakata, V. N., & Fleck, M.P. (2008). Quality of life predictors in breast cancer women. European .Journal of Oncology Nursing, 72(1), 53-57. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejon.2007.06.003.
- Smith, H.R. (2015). Depression in cancer patients: Pathogenesis, implications and treatment (Review). Oncology Letters, 9,1509-1514.
- Spielberger, C.D., Gorsuch, R.L., & Lushene, R.E. (1970). Manualfor the State- Trait Anxiety Inventory (Self Evaluation Questionnaire). PaloAlto, CA: Consulting Psychologists.
- Stark, D., Kiely, M., & Smith, A., Velikova, G., House, A., & Selby, P. (2002). Anxiety disorders in cancer patients: Theirnature, associations, and relation to quality of life. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 20(14), 3137-3148.
- Toseland, R.W., Blanchard, C.G., & McCallion, P. (1995). A problem-solving intervention for caregivers of cancerpatients. Social Science and Medicine, 40,517-528.
Abstract Views: 6
PDF Views: 0