Open Access Subscription Access
The Influence of Personal Characteristics and Participation in Dance of Dance Major University Students on their Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy and Career Preparation Behavior
This study aimed to demonstrate the relationship between the personal characteristics and participation in dance of dance major university students and their career decision making self-efficacy and career preparation behavior, and thus provide the basic data necessary to make a plan for career support and counseling of dance major students. To attain the objective, this study randomly sampled and conducted a survey with a total of 385 dance major students from 5 universities among 4-year universities with the department of dance, located in 3 regions (Seoul, Kyunggi Province and Daejeon). The collected data were statistically analyzed for one-way ANOVA and multiple regression analysis. Through the foregoing process, the results were attained as follows. First, there was a significant difference in career decision making self-efficacy by the personal characteristics of the dance major university students. Second, when the difference in career decision making self-efficacy by participation in dance was examined, it turned out that there was a significant difference in choice of goal by major field; in future plan by perceived ability of dance; but no difference in future plan by participation period in dance. Third, there was a significant difference in information collection and career aptitude test by gender and in career counseling, information collection and career aptitude test by school year. Fourth, there was a significant difference in career counseling by major field and in information collection and career aptitude test by participation period in dance.
Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy, Career Preparation Behavior, Participation in Dance.
- KOSIS. Rate of college entrance. Korea Statistical Information Service; 2011.
- Par JY, Hong NP, Woo MS, Lee SY, Kim CW, Kang SK, Kim BY, Cha JM, Yang TJ, Min BC. Statistical yearbook for employment of higher education. Korean Educational Development Institute (KEDI); 2008. p. 34–5.
- Holland JL. Making vocational choices. 3rd ed. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment; 1997.
- Kim BW. Career decision level and career preparation behavior of the college students [PhD thesis]. Seoul, Korea: Seoul National University; 1997.
- Lee KH, Lee HJ. The effects of the level of career self-efficacy in predicting career attitude maturity. Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychology. 2000; 12(1):127–36.
- Betz NE, Klein KL, Taylor KM. Evaluation of a short-form of career decision making self-efficacy scale. Journal of Career Assessment. 1996; 4(1):47–57.
- Taylor KM, Betz N. Applications of self-efficacy theory to the understanding and treatment of career indecision. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 1983; 22:63–81.
- Kim YM. The influence of socialization factors on selfefficacy of collegiate dancers. Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport. 1999; 12:127–40.
- You HG. College life adjustment and career preparation behavior according to self-differentiation of college student [MA thesis]. Jeonju, Korea: Jeonju University; 2004.
- Kim YM, Hyun SH. Analysis of hypothetical causal model on the career preparation behavior of college student majoring indance. KoreanJournalofSociologyofSport. 2007; 20(3):503– 19.
Abstract Views: 42
PDF Views: 6