Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
An Empirical Study on Effect of Capital Structure on Financial Performance of Paper Manufacturing Companies in India: Penal Data Analysis
In this research paper, the researcher has attempted to study the effect of capital structure on the financial performance of selected paper manufacturing firms in India. Secondary data have been used. The study period was of five years from 20014-2015 to 2018-2019. Accounting ratio and statistical tools like descriptive statistics, correlation matrix, and penal data analysis have been used. The result of the descriptive statistics shows that ROA, ROCE, EPS and valuation indicate good financial performance. While the debt-equity ratio shows debt is more than equity in the capital structure. The researcher identified four financial indicators, namely ROA, ROCE, EPS and Valuation. The researcher has also identified debt-equity ratio, long term debt-equity ratio, a log of debt, firm size and interest coverage ratio as dependent variables. Model-1 indicates that ROS is significantly affected by the interest coverage ratio, wherein fixed-effect model ROA is also affected by the interest coverage ratio. Model-2 shows that there is a significant effect of debt-equity ratio long term debt-equity ratio and interest coverage ratio on RCOE. The fixed-effect model shows that only firm size and interest coverage have a significant effect on ROCE. Model-3 shows that the debt-equity ratio, long term debt-equity ratio, firm size, a log of debt and interest coverage ratio is insignificant to EPS. Wherein firm size is significant to EPS in fixed effect mode. Another variable like the debt-equity ratio, long term debt-equity ratio, a log of debt and interest coverage ratio is insignificant to EPS. Model-4 indicates that firm size is significant to the valuation. The fixed-effect model shows that all independent variables are insignificant to valuation.
Capital Structure, Financial Performance and Cement Companies.
- Alwshah, K. A. A. M. (2009). The impact of corporate governance and ownership structure on performance and financial decisions of firms: Evidence from Jordan (Doctoral dissertation, University of Hull).
- Abor, J. (2005). The effect of capital structure on profitability: An empirical analysis of listed firms in Ghana. The Journal of Risk Finance, 6(5), 2005, 438-445.
- Banerjee, A., & De, A. (2014). Determinants of corporate financial performance relating to capital structure decisions in Indian iron and steel industry: An empirical study. Paradigm, 18(1), 35-50.
- Chadha, S., & Sharma, A. K. (2015). Capital structure and firm performance: Empirical evidence from India. Vision, 19(4), 295-302.
- Chisti, K. A., Ali, K., & Sangmi, M. I. D. (2013). Impact of capital structure on profitability of listed companies (evidence from India). The USV Annals of Economics and Public Administration, 13(1(17)), 183-191.
- Goyal, A. M. (2013). Impact of capital structure on performance of listed public sector banks in India. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 2(10), 35-43.
- Lavorskyi, M. (2013). The impact of capital structure on firm performance: Evidence from Ukraine. Master of Finance Economics Thesis, Kyviv School of Economics.
- Mehta, P. V. (2013). Relationship between and capital structure financial performance: Evidence from Indian stock market. Clear International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 4(3).
- Olokoyo, F. O. (2013). Capital structure and corporate performance of Nigerian quoted firms: Apanel data approach. African Development Review, 25(3), 358-369.
- Panicker, D. S. (2013). Capital structure determinants for sustained performance in the energy sector of India. Clear International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 4(5).
- Aramvalarthan, S. (2014). Capital structure and firm performance: A Panel data analysis. In World Finance Conference 2014, Venice, Italy.
- Thomas, A. E. (2013). Capital structure and financial performance of Indian cement industry. BVIMR Management Edge, 6(2), 44-50.
- Vitor, D. A., & Badu, J. (2012). Capital structure and performance of listed banks in Ghana. Global Journal of Human Social Science, 12(5), 57-62.
- Omoregie, O. K., Olofin, S. A., & Ikpesu, F. (2019). Capital structure and the profitability-liquidity trade off. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 9(3), 105-115.
- Manoj Kumara, N. V., & Vinutha. (2018). Effect of capital structures on firm’s financial performance - A case study of ITC ltd. International Journal for Innovative Research in Multidisciplinary Field, 4(7), 32-41.
- Wamiori, G. M., Namusonge, G. S., & Sakwa, M. M. (2016). Effect of capital structure on financial performance among manufacturing firms in Kenya. Elixir Fin. Mgmt., 99C(2016), 42986-43005.
Abstract Views: 60
PDF Views: 0