Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Customer Experience in Indian Hospitality Sector:An Empirical Study
Creating excellent customer experiences has become a key objective in contemporary hospitality industry. The purpose of this paper is to investigate the influence of customer experience on customer memories and loyalty. The data has been collected from 170 respondents within four and five star hotels by using convenience sampling technique. After reliability, the data were analyzed using mean values, standard deviations, correlations, simple and multiple regression analyses. The result from the finding suggests that the customer experience influences customer memories and loyalty. The paper examines the relationships amongst customer experiences, memories, and loyalty, which will be of immense use for the marketing practitioners. This research is vital, as the results should be used in improving marketing strategies to create, manage, and control customer experiences. They can help marketers to know how to understand customer differences whilst implementing segmentation, promotional, and positioning strategies that ultimately contribute to their memories and loyalty. The paper makes contributions towards new knowledge and understanding the customer experience management and can be used for managerial decision-making.
Customer Experience, Memories, Loyalty, Hospitality Industry.
- Ali, F., Hussain, K., & Ragavan, N. A. (2014). Memorable customer experience: Examining the effects of customers experience on memories and loyalty in Malaysian resort hotels. Procedia - Social and Behavioural Sciences, 144, 273-279.
- Anderson T. (2007). The tourist in the experience economy. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, 7(1), 46-58.
- Arnold, M. J., Reynolds, K. E., Ponder, N., & Lueg, J. E. (2005). Customer delight in a retail context: investigating delightful and terrible shopping experiences. Journal of Business Research, 27(3), 1132-1145.
- Badgett, M., Boyce M. S., & Kleinberger, H. (2007). Turning shoppers into advocates. IBM Institute for Business Value.
- Berry, L. L., Carbone, L. P., & Haeckel, S. H. (2002). Managing the total customer experience. MIT Sloan Management Review, 43(3), 85-89.
- Bonn, M. A., Joseph-Mathews S. M., Dai, M. Hayes, S., & Cave, J. (2007). Heritage/Cultural attraction atmospherics: Creating the right environment for the heritage/cultural visitor. Journal of Travel Research, 45(3), 345-54.
- Brakus, J. J. S., Schmitt, B. H., & Zarantonello, L. (2009). Brand experience: what is it? How is it measured? Does it affect loyalty? Journal of Marketing, 73(3), 52-68.
- Carbone, L. P., & Haeckel S. H. (1994). Engineering customer experience. Journal of Marketing Management, 3(3), 8-19.
- Carbone, L. (2010). Clued in: How to keep customers coming back again and again. Pearson Education USA.
- Cetin, G., & Bilgihan, A. (2014). Components of cultural tourists’ experiences in destinations. Current Issues in Tourism, (ahead-of-print), 1-18.
- Chang, P. L., & Chieng, M. H. (2006). Building consumer-brand relationship: A cross-cultural experiential view. Psychology and Marketing, 23(11), 927-59.
- Cronin, J. (2003). Lookin back to see forward in services marketing: Some ideas to consider. Managing Service Quality, 13(5), 332-337.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: The psychology of optimal experience: Steps toward enhancing the quality of life. NewYork: Harper & Row.
- Dolcos, F., & Cabeza, R. (2002). Event-related potentials of emotional memory: Encoding pleasant, unpleasant, and neutral pictures. Cognitive, Affective and Behavioural Neuroscience, 2(3), 252-263.
- Ford, R. C., & Heaton, C. P. (2000). Managing the guest experience in hospitality. Delmar Pub.
- Frow, P., & Payne, A. (2007). Toward the perfect customer experience. Journal of Brand Management, 15(2), 89-101.
- Gentile C., Spiller N., & Noci G. (2007). How to sustain customer experience: An overview of experience components that co-create value with the customer. European Management Journal, 25(5), 395-410.
- Gilmore, J. H., & Pine, B. J. (2002). Differentiating hospitality operations via experiences: Why selling services is not enough. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 43(3), 87-96.
- Gursoy, D., & Gavcar, E. (2003). International leisure tourist’s involvement profile. Annals of Tourism Research, 30, 906-926.
- Hair, J. F. J., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (2010). Multivariate data analysis. New Jersey: Pearson Education.
- Haeckel, S. H., Carbone, L. P., & Berry, L. L. (2003). How to lead the customer experience? Marketing Management, 12(1), 18-23.
- Hemmington, N. (2007). From service to experience: Understanding and defining the hospitality business. The Service Industries Journal, 27(6), 747-755.
- Holbrook, M. B., & Hirschman, E. C. (1982). The experiential aspects of consumption: Consumer fantasies, feelings, and fun. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(10), 132-140.
- Hosany, S., & Witham, M. (2010). Dimensions of cruisers experiences, satisfaction, and intention to recommend. Journal of Travel Research, 49(3), 351-364.
- Hung, W. L., Lee, Y. J., & Huang, P. H. (2014). Creative experiences, memorability and revisit intention in creative tourism. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-8.
- Johnston, R., & Kong, X. (2011). The customer experience: a roadmap for improvement. Managing Service Quality, 21(1), 5-24.
- Hughes, H. L., Benn, D., & Leslie, D. (1995). Entertainment: Its role in the tourist experience (pp. 11-21). Leisure Studies Association.
- India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF) (2018). Tourism and Hospitality Industry in India. Ministry of Tourism, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Government of India.
- Ismail, A. (2010). Investigating British customers experience to maximize brand loyalty within the context of tourism in Egypt: Netnography & structural modelling approach (Doctoral dissertation, Brunel University Brunel Business School PhD Theses).
- Kandampully, J., & Suhartanto, D. (2000). Customer loyalty in hotel industry: the role of customer satisfaction and image. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 12(6), 346-351.
- Kim, J. H. (2010). Development of a scale to measure memorable tourism experiences. European Journal of Tourism Research, 3(2), 123-126.
- Kim, K. H., Kim, K. S., Kim, D.Y., Kim, J. H., & Kang, S. H. (2008). Brand equity in hospital marketing. Journal of Business Research, 61, 75-82.
- Kim, A. K., & Brown, G. (2012). Understanding the relationships between perceived travel experiences, overall satisfaction and destination loyalty. Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism & Hospitality Research, 23(3), 328-347.
- Knutson, B. J., Beck, J. A., Kim, S. H., & Cha, J. (2006). Identifying the dimensions of the experience construct. Journal of Hospitality and Leisure Marketing, 15(3), 31-47.
- McCole, P. (2004). Refocusing marketing to reflect practices: The changing role of marketing for business. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 22(5), 531-539.
- Malhotra, N. K. (2008). Marketing research: An applied orientation, 5/e. Pearson Education India.
- Marshall, N. W. (2010). Commitment, loyalty and customer lifetime value: Investigating the relationships amongst key determinants. Journal of Business & Economics, 8(8), 67-84.
- Mehmetoglu, M., & Engen, M. (2011). Pine and Gilmore’s concept of experience economy and its dimensions: An empirical examination in tourism. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism,12(4), 237-255.
- Nigam, A. (2012). Modeling relationship between experiential marketing, experiential value and purchase intension in organized quick service chain restaurants using structural equation modeling approach. International Journal of Computer Science and Management Studies, 12, 114-123.
- Nysveen, H., Pedersen, P. E., & Skard, S. (2013). Brand experiences in service organizations: Exploring the individual effects of brand experience dimensions. Journal of Brand Management, 20(5), 404-423.
- Oh, H., Fiore, A. M., & Jeong, M. (2007). Measuring experience economy concepts: Tourism applications. Journal of Travel Research, 46(2), 119-131.
- Pallant, J. (2005). SPSS Survival Manual. Buckingham: Open University Press.
- Pijls, R., Groen, B. H., Galetzka, M., & Pruyn, A. T. (2017). Measuring the experience of hospitality: Scale development and validation. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 67, 125-133.
- Pine, B. J., & Gilmore, J. H. 1998. Welcome to the experience economy. Harvard Business. Review, 76(4), 97-105.
- Pine, B. J., & Gilmore, J. H. (1999). The experience economy. Harvard University Press, Harvard, 11-12.
- Pine, B. J., & Gilmore, J. H. (2011). The experience economy: Work is theatre & every business a stage. Harvard Business Press.
- Prahalad, C. K., & Ramaswamy, V. (2004). Co-creation experiences: the next practice in value creation. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18(3), 5-14.
- Quadri-Felitti, D., & Fiore, A. M. (2012). Experience economy constructs as a framework for understanding wine tourism. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 18(1), 3-15.
- Quadri-Felitti, D. L., & Fiore, A. M. (2013). Destination loyalty: Effects of wine tourists experiences, memories, and satisfaction on intentions. Tourism and Hospitality Research, 13(1), 47-62.
- Rather, R. A. (2018). Consequences of consumer engagement in service marketing: An empirical exploration. Journal of Global Marketing, 1-20 (In press)
- Rather, R. A. (2017). Investigating the impact of customer brand identification on hospitality brand loyalty: A social identity perspective. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 27(5), 487-513.
- Rather, R. A., & Shakir, P. H. (2018). Customer engagement in increasing affective commitment within hospitality sector. Journal of Hospitality Application & Research, 13(1), 72-91.
- Rather, R. A., & Sharma, J. (2016b). Customer engagement in strengthening customer loyalty in hospitality sector. South Asian Journal of Tourism and Heritage, 9(2), 62-81.
- Rather, R. A., & Sharma, J. (2017a). Customer engagement for evaluating customer relationships in hotel industry. European Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation, 8(1), 1-13.
- Rather, R. A., & Sharma, J. (2017b). The effect of customer satisfaction and commitment on customer loyalty: Evidence from the hotel industry. Journal of Hospitality Application & Research, 12(2), 41-60.
- Rather, R. A., & Sharma, J. (2018). Exploring relationships among customer brand engagement, brand equity and brand loyalty towards hospitality brands. Abhigyan, (In press).
- Schacter, D. L., Chiu, C. Y. P., & Ochsner, K. N. (1993). Implicit memory: A selective review. Annual Review of Neuroscience, 16, 159-82.
- Schmitt, B. (1999). Experiential marketing. Journal of Marketing Management, 15(1-3), 53-67.
- Schmitt, B. H. (2003). Customer experience management: A revolutionary approach to connecting with your customers. John Wiley & Sons.
- Sharma, J., & Rather, R. A. (2015). Understanding the customer experience: An exploratory study of “A” category hotels. International Journal on Customer Relations, 3(2), 21-31.
- Sharma, J., & Rather, R. A. (2016). The role of customer engagement in ensuring sustainable development in hospitality sector. International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Systems, 9(1), 33-43.
- Shaw, C., & Ivens, J. (2005). Building great customer experiences. New York: MacMillan.
- Sirapracha J., & Tocquer, G. (2012). Customer experience, brand image and customer loyalty in telecommunication services. International Conference on Economics, Business and Marketing Management, 29, 112-116.
- Stamboulis, Y., & Skayannis, P. (2003). Innovation strategies and technology for experience based tourism. Tourism Management, 24, 35-43.
- Titz, K. (2007). Experiential consumption: Affect-emotions-hedonism. Handbook of Hospitality Marketing Management, 324-352.
- Tscaur, S. H., Chiu, Y. T., & Wang C. H. (2006). The visitors behavioural consequences of experiential marketing: An empirical study on taipei zoo. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 21(1), 47-64.
- Tung, V. W. S., & Richie, J. R. B. (2011). Exploring the essence of memorable tourism experiences. Annals of Tourism Research, 48(4), 1367-1386.
- Turley, L. W., & Milliman, R. E. (2000). Atmospheric effects on shopping behaviour: A review of the experiential evidence. Journal of Business Research, 49(2), 193-211.
- Verhoef, P. C., Lanerak., L., & Donkers. B. (2007). Understanding brand and dealer retention in the new car market: The moderating role of brand tier. Journal of Retailing, 83(1), 97-113.
- Verhoef, P. C., Lemon, K. N., Parasuraman, A., Roggeveen, A., Tsiros, M., & Schlesinger, L. A. (2009). Customer experience creation: Determinants, dynamics, and management strategies. Journal of Retailing, 85(1), 31-41.
- United Nations World Tourism Organization. (2013). UNWTO Tourism Highlights, UNWTO.
- Walls, A., Okumus, F., Wang, Y., & Kwun, D. (2011). Understanding customer experience: An exploratory study of luxury hotels. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 20(2), 166-197.
- Wang, N. (1999). Rethinking authenticity in tourism experience. Annals of Tourism Research, 26(2), 349-370.
- Wilkins, H., Merrilees, B., & Herington, C. (2009). The determinants of loyalty in hotels. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 19(1), 1-21.
- Wu, C. H. (2007). The impact of customer-to-customer interaction and customer homogeneity on customer satisfaction in tourism service: The service encounter perspective. Tourism Management, 28, 1518-1528.
- Xu, J., & Chan, A. (2010). Service experience and package tours. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 15(2), 177-194.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0