Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Difference in Drought Resistance among Three Brassica species at Different Growing Stages and Application of Zeolite
One of the factors limiting the growth of crops is water deficit. A split plot factorial experiment was conducted in Qazvin (Iran) to determine the effects of water deficit stress on three Brassica species at different growing stages and application of zeolite in 2010-12 growing seasons. In these experiments factorial combination of different levels of water deficit stress (regular irrigation (I0), withholding irrigation from flowering stage to end of plant life cycle (I1), and withholding irrigation from pod stage to end of plant life cycle (I2) and zeolite were applied (0 and 10 t.ha-1), in main plot units, and different species (B. napus, B. rapa and B. junceu) were placed in sub plot units. Results showed that interactions among water deficit stress and different species, different water deficit stress and two zeolite amounts were significant for number of branches per plant, length of main, sub and total plant pod, and seed oil yield. Application of zeolite in all water deficit regimes increased the seed oil percent and seed oil yield and in interaction between these two factors, I1 without zeolite reduced the seed oil yield, in comparison to I0 and zeolite application.
Brassica species, Oil, Water Deficit Stress, Zeolite.
- Deepak, M. and Wattal, P.N. (1995). Influence of water stress on seed yield of Canadian rape at flowering and role of metabolic factors. Plant Physiol. Biochem, 22: 115-118.
- Everitt, J.H., Lonard, R.L. and Little, C.R. (2007). Weeds in South Texas and Northern Mexico. Lubbock: Texas Tech University Press. ISBN 0-89672-614-2.
- Faraji, A., Latifi, N., Soltani, A., Shiranirad, A.H. and Shariati, F. (2008). Effects of different temperature and moisture regimes on oil contents of two canola (Brassica napus L.) cultivars. Seed and Plant Improvement j., 24: 707-720.
- Flagella, Z., Rotunno, T., Tarantino, E., Di Caterina, R. and De Caro, A. (2002). Changes in seed yield and oil fatty acid composition of high oleic sunflower hybrids in relation to the sowing date and the water regime. European J. of Agron., 17: 221-230.
- Gevrek, M.N. and Atasoy, G.D. (2012). Effect of post anthesis drought on certain agronomical characteristics of wheat under two different nitrogen application conditions. Turkish J. of Field Crops, 17:19-23.
- Hamzei, J. and Soltani, J. (2012). Deficit irrigation of rapeseed for water-saving: Effects on biomass accumulation, light interception and radiation use efficiency under different n rates. Agri., Ecosys. and Environ., 155: 153-160.
- Jaleel, C.A., Gopi, R., Manivannan, P., Gomathinayagam, M., Sridharan, R. and Panneerselvam, R. (2008). Antioxidant potential and indole alkaloid profile variations with water deficits along different parts of two varieties of Catharanthus roseus. Colloid Surf. B Biointerf., 62: 312-318.
- Parry, M.A.J., Andralojic, P.J., Khan, S., Lea, P.J. and Keys, A.J. (2002). Rubisco activity: Effects of drought. Annals of Botany, 89: 833-839.
- Qaderi, M.M., Kurepin, L.V. and Reid, D.M. (2012). Effects of temperature and watering regime on growth, gas exchange and abscisic acid content of canola (Brassica napus L.) seedlings. Environ.and Experimental botany, 75:107-113.
- SAS Institute Inc., (2002). The SAS System for Windows, Release 9.0. Statistical Analysis Systems Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Sepaskhah, A.R. and Tafteh, A. (2012). Yield and nitrogen leaching in rapeseed field under different nitrogen rates and water saving irrigation. Agri. Water Manage., 112: 55-62.
- Sylvester-Bradley, R. and Makepeace, R.J. (1984). A code for stages of development in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). In Aspects of Applied Biology 6: Agronomy Physiology, Plant Breeding and Crop Protection of Oilseed Rape. 26–28 March Green AG eds). Organising Committee 1984 Association of Applied Biologists Churchill College, Cambridge U.K., 399-419.
- Triboi-Blondel, A.M. and Renard, M. (1999). Effect of temperature and stress of fatty acid composition of rapeseed oil. In: International rapeseed congress, Canberra, Australia, pp: 12-17.
- Zhang, M., Duan, L., Zhai, Z., Li, J. , Tian, X., Wang, B. , He, Z. and Li, Z. (2004). Effects of plant growth regulators on water deficit-induced yield loss in soybean. In Proc. Congr. 4th International Crop Science Congress, 26 Sep1Oct. Brisbane, Australia.
Abstract Views: 122
PDF Views: 0