Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Outcome of Intercropping Garlic with Brinjal for the Small Holder Farmers of Bangladesh
The objective of the experiment was to find out the best combination and efficiency the productivity of garlic for intercropping at different planting densities with brinjal. The treatment combinations were brinjal 100% + garlic 70%, brinjal 100% + garlic 60%, brinjal 100% + garlic 50%, brinjal 100% + garlic 40%, brinjal 100% + garlic 30% with sole crop of brinjal. A randomized complete block design replicated three times was used. Different intercropping combinations were evaluated by performed on basis of several intercropping indices such as land equivalent ratio (LER), competitive ratio (CR), monetary advantages index (MAI), replacement value of intercrops (RVI) and economics performance. The monetary return of intercropping of garlic with brinjal with different planting ratio was significantly higher as compared to sole cropping of brinjal. The highest brinjal equivalent yield (91.65 t ha-1), gross return (Tk.1374800 ha-1), gross margin (Tk.1003426 ha-1), BCR (3.70) and LER (2.65) were in intercropping of brinjal 100% + garlic 70% compared to other intercropping combination and sole cropping of brinjal. Brinjal 100% + garlic 60% showed same BCR in intercropping. The study also revealed that brinjal 100% + garlic 70% intercropping system exhibited higher MAI (Tk. 855950 ha-1) and replacement value of intercropping (5.34) compared to the other planting ratio and the sole crop.
Brinjal, Economic, Garlic, Intercropping.
- Ahmad, S. and Ibrar, R. (1996). Sunflower-summer legumes intercropping systems under rainfed conditions: competition and yield advantage. HELIA. 19: 71-78.
- Ali, M. and Mishra, J.S. (1993). Intercropping of blackgram (Phaseolus mungo) and greengram (P. radiatus) with spring sunflower (Helianthus annuus). Indian J. Agric. Sci. 63:493-495.
- Anonymous. (2015). Countries in the world by population. http://www.worldometers.info /world-population/populationbycountry/
- Anonymous. (1993). Integrated management of the brinjal shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guen.) at Joydebpur. Annual Research Report, Entomology Division, BARI, Joydebpur, Gazipur, p.41-44.
- Ghosh, P.K. (2004). Growth, yield, competition and economics of groundnut/cereal fodder intercropping systems in the semi-arid tropics of India. Field Crops Res. 88: 227-237.
- Hashem, A., Moniruzzaman, A.F.M. and Akhtaruzzaman, M.A. (1990). Study on the productivity and profitability of potato intercropped with vegetable and relayed with onion. Bangladesh Agron. J. 3:39-13.
- Hossain, M.A. and Bari, A. K. M. A. (1996). Effect of intercropping groundnut with garlic at varying plant population levels. Bangladesh Hort. 24:29-34.
- Islam, M.R., Rahman, M.T., Hossain, M.F. and Ara, N. (2014). Feasibility of intercropping leafy vegetables and legumes with brinjal. Bangladesh J. Agril. Res. 39: 685-692.
- Islam, M.R., Kaisar, M.O., Ahamed, K.U. and Humauan, M.R. (2008). Insect infestation in selected winter vegetables: A survey in Comilla. Bangladesh J. Agricultural. 1:163-168.
- Jedel, P.E., Helm, J.H. and Burnett, P.A. (1998). Yield, quality and stress tolerance of barley mixture in central Alberta. Can. J. Plant Sci. 78:429-436.
- Juskiw, P.E., Helm, J.H. and Salmon, D.F. (2000). Competitive ability in mixture of small grain cereals. Crop Sci. 40:159-164.
- Mahapatra, S.C. (2011). Study of Grass-Legume Intercropping System in Terms of Competition Indices and Monetary Advantage Index under Acid Lateritic Soil of India. American J. Exp. Agric. 1: 1-6.
- Marshall, B. R. and Willey, W. (1983). Radiation interception and growth in an intercrop of pearl millet/groundnut. Field Crops Res. 7: 141-160.
- MOA (Ministry of Agriculture). (2014). Hand Book of Agricultural Statistics, December 2007. Govt. Peoples Repub. Bangladesh. http://www.moa.gov.bd/statistics/ statistics.htm
- Moseley, W.G. (1994). An equation for the replacement value of agroforestry. Agrofor. Sys. 26:47-52.
- Mondal, M.R.I., Begum, F. and Hossain, M.A. (2004). Stydy on intercropping groundnut with garlic. Bangladesh J. Agril. Res. 29:357-364.
- Quayyum, M.A., Akanda, M.E. and Karim, M.F. (1987). Row spacing and number of rows of chickpea grown in association with maize. Bangladesh J. Agric. 12:223-230.
- Willey, R.W. and Rao, R.M. (1980). A competitive ratio for quantifying competition between intercropping. Exp. Agric., l6: 117-125.
- Willey, R.W. (1990). Resource use in intercropping system. J. Agric. Water Manage., 17: 215-231.
Abstract Views: 107
PDF Views: 0