Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Performance of ten Durum Wheat (Triticum Durum Desf.) Cultivars under Semi Arid Conditions (North Africa-Algeria-)
The present study was conducted on the experimental site of station ITGC in setif. Grain yield (GY), vegetative above ground biomass (BIO) was measured. Thousand-kernel weight (TKW) was determined from sub-samples taken from harvested grains of each plot. Leaf senescence (S) was evaluated by numerical image analysis (NIA) and chlorophyll content (Chl) is measured by SPAD instrument. Study of correlation between grain yield and its components, refers to the absence of significant correlations between grain yield, thousand-kernel weight and biomass (r = 0.07 and 0.47 respectively) but there is a significant negative correlation between grain yield and number of days from sowing to heading (DH) (r = -0.75). A significant negative correlation between chlorophyll content and average senescence (Sa%) is noted in this study (r = -0.68). A significant positive correlation showed between ∑50s and grain yield suggests that genotypes with slow senescence showed highest yield. The absence of significant correlation between grain yield and thousandkernel weight is noted when the water stress is shown during period of grain filling.
Chlorophyll, Durum Wheat (Triticum Durum Desf.), Grain Yield, Senescence, Water Stress.
- Acevedo E.H., Silva P.C., Silva H.R., Solar B.R., (1999). Wheat production in Mediterranean environments. In: Satorre EH, Slafer GA (eds) Wheat: ecology and physiology of yield determination. Food Products Press, New York, 295–323.
- Austin, R.B., (1993). Augmenting yield-based selection. In: Plant Breeding: Principles and Prospects, [Hayward, M.D., Bosemark, N.O. and Romagosa, I. (eds)]. Chapman and Hall, London, pp. 391-405.
- Baldy, C., (1986). Comportement des blés dans les climats méditerranéens. Ecologia Mediterranea, 12: 73–88.
- Blum, A., (1998). Improving wheat grain ûlling under stress by stem reserve mobilization. Euphytica, 100: 77–83
- Bruckner, P.L., Frohberg, R.C., (1987). Rate and duration of grain fill in spring wheat. Crop Sci., 27: 451–455.
- Corbeels, M., Hofman, G., Van Cleemput, O., (1998). Analysis of water use by wheat grown on a cracking clay soil in a semi-arid Mediterranean environment: weather and nitrogen effects. Agric. Water Manage, 38: 147–167.
- Cantagallo, J.E., Chimenti, C.A., Hall, A.J., (1997). Number of seeds per unit area in sunflower correlates well with a photothermal quotient. Crop Sci., 37: 1780–1786.
- Ellen, J., (1987). Effects of plant density and nitrogen fertilization in winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) I. Production pattern and grain yield. Neth. J. Agric. Sci., 35: 137–153.
- Elhani ,S., V. Martos, Y. Rharrabti, C. Royo and L.F. Garcýa del Moral, (2007). Contribution of main stem and tillers to durum wheat (Triticum turgidum L. var. durum) grain yield and its components grown in Mediterranean environments. Field Crops Research, 103: 25–35.
- Evans, J.T., (1983). Nitrogen and photosynthesis in the flag leaf of wheat. Plant Physiol., 72: 297–302.
- Fischer, R.A., (1983). Wheat In Proceeding Symposium on Potential Productivity of Field Crops under Different Environments.129-154.
- Fischer, R.A., (1985). Number of kernel in wheat crops and the influence of solar radiation and temperature. J. Agri. Sci., 105: 447–461.
- Hafsi, M, Mechmeche, W, Bouamama, L, Djekoune, A, Zaharieva, M and Monneveux, P, (2000). Flag leaf senescence, as evaluated by numerical image analysis, and its relationship with yield under drought in durum wheat. J. Agronomy and Crop Sci., 185: 275–280.
- Housley, T.L., Kirleis, A.W., Ohm, H.W and Patterson, F.L., (1982). Dry matter accumulation in soft red winter wheat seeds. Crop Sci., 22: 290–294.
- Oweis,T., Zhang, H., Pala, M., (2000).Water use efficiency of rainfed and irrigated bread wheat in a Mediterranean environment. Agron. J., 92: 231–238.
- Rawson, H.M., J.H. Hindmarsh, Fisher, R.A., Y.M. Stockman, (1983). Changes in leaf photosynthesis with plant ontogeny and relationships with yield per ear in wheat cultivars and 120 progeny. Aust. J. Plant Physiol., 10: 503–514.
- Seemann, J.R., Sharkey, T.D., Wang, J., Osmond, C.B., (1987). Environmental effects on photosynthesis, nitrogen-use efficiency, and metabolite pools in leaves of sun and shade plants. Plant Physiol., 84: 796–802.
- Sharma, R.C., Smith, E.L., (1986). Selection for high and low harvest index in three winter population. Crop Science, 26: 1147-1150.
- Sylvester-Bradley, R., Scott, R.K., Wright, C.E., (1990). Physiology in the production and improvement of cereals. Home-Grown Cereals Authority Research Review, 18: 100-106.
- Waddington, S.R., Osmanzia, M., Yoshida, M., Ranson, J.K., (1987). The yield of durum wheats released in Mexico between 1960 and 1984. Journal of Agricultural Science, 108: 469-477.
- Wittenbach V.A., (1979). Ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase and proteolytic activity in wheat leaves from anthesis through senescence. Plant Physiol., 64: 884-887.
- Yang, J., Wang, Z., Zhu, Q., (1997). Photosynthetic characteristics, dry matter accumulation and its translocation in inter-specific hybrid rice. Acta Agron. Sincia, 23: 82–88.
- Zhang, H., Oweis,T., (1999).Water–yield relations and optimal irrigation scheduling of wheat in the Mediterranean region. Agric. Water Manage., 38: 195–211.
- Zhang, C.J. Chen, G.X. Gao, X.X. Chu C.J., (2006). Photosynthetic decline in flag leaves of two field-grown spring wheat cultivars with different senescence properties. South African Journal of Botany, 72: 15–23.
- Zhu, Q., Zhang, Z., Yang, J., Wang, Z., (1997). Source-sink characteristics related with the yield of inter-sub specific hybrid rice. Sci. Agric. Sinica, 30: 52–59.
Abstract Views: 267
PDF Views: 1