Open Access Subscription Access
Adoption of E-Recruitment in the Ethiopian Banking Industry
The main objective of this study is to assess the adoption, advantages and disadvantages of e-recruitment in the Ethiopian Banking Industry. This study will be significant to those who are in charge of performing recruitment tasks in different industries, academicians and researchers. The results of the study are presented in a brief manner here under in order of the specific objectives of the study mentioned above. 39% of the banks in the industry are applying e-recruitment methods in performing their recruitment tasks. Geographical spread, ability to reach a large audience, greater chance to find the right candidates quicker, 24/7 on line, cheaper than the traditional method, increased quality of applicants, shift from manual HRM, positive effect on company image, increased efficiency of the recruitment practice, informing vacancies in creative ways, attracting passive job seekers, access to target candidates, easiness to apply for candidates, reduced administrative tasks, wider scope, choice and opportunities are discovered as the advantages of e-recruitment in the Ethiopian Banking Industry. The result of the study revealed that difficulty to use for non-clerical, discrimination of those who do not have access to internet, involvement of user unfriendly tools, lack of personal touch, development fees for small companies, name recognition required, outdated resumes, internet may not be the first option for applicants, overwhelming number of applicants, time consuming sifting of applications, poor segmentation of the market and lack of transparency of data are the disadvantages of e-recruitment in the Ethiopian Banking Industry.
HRM, Recruitment, E-Recruitment, Websites, Social Media, Job Portal.
- Anna, B. (2014). Institutional context and e-recruitment practices of Danish organizations. Employee Relations, 36(4), 432 – 455 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ER-07-2013-0088
- Armstrong, M. (2009).Handbook of human resource management practice (11th ed.). Philadelphia, USA: Kogna Page Limited.
- Aurellie, G & Bernard, F. (2009). E-recruitment: New practices, new issues. An explanatory study. Human Resource Information System. Montpellior, France ; INITICC Press.
- Beniamin, G. (2015). Niche websites and online tools used in recruitment. SEA practical Application of Science, 3(1) (7), 113-120.
- Christian, B, Ralf, H., Malgorgata, M., Radolsaw, O., Robert, T., & Rainer, E. (2005). The impact of semantic web technologies on job recruitment process. Physica Verlag HD, 1367 – 1381
- Derek, K. & Jane, W. (2003). The use of technologies in the recruiting, screening, and selection processes for job candidates. International Journal of Selection and Assesment, 11(2), 113 – 120
- Elena, P. (2013). Importance of information technology in reaching human resource effectiveness: Example of local and international banks in Russia. Humanity and Social Sciences Journal, 8(1), 35 – 40
- Farrukh, S. (2010). Job search on the internet, e-recruitment and labor market outcomes. Rand corporation, California, USA.
- Fawzieh, M. (2015). Deployment of social media in the recruitment process. Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, 5(1), 1-24
- Galanki, E. (2002). The decision to recruit online: Career Development International, 7(5), 243 - 251.
- Helen, V & Sue, W. (2008). Advantages and disadvantages of internet recruitment: A UK study in to employers perceptions. International Review of Business Research Papers, 4(1) ,364-373
- Jain, V. (2014). Impact of technology on human resource practices. International Journal of Informative and Futuristic Research, 1(10), 25 – 37
- James, A. (2012). Diffusion of online recruiting technology in Nigeria. Online Journal of Social Sciences Research, 1(4), 104 – 114
- Jochen M., Tobias, K.& Tim, W. (2005). Analyzing the impact of IT support on recruitment processes : An e-recruitment phase model .
- Kamal & Ashish, K. (2013).Impact of technology advancement on human resource performance. International Journal on Arts, Management and Humanities, 2(2), 43-47
- Mahapatro, B. (2010) .Human resource management. New Delhi, India: New age international (p) Limited, publishers.
- Marjan, F. & Zahra, A. (2014). E-recruitment in Iranian bank and insurance industry. New Marketing Research Journal, special issue, 69-78
- Masese, O. & Uttam, M. (2016). Effectiveness of e-recruitment in organizational development. Management and Economic Journal, 5, 272-282 DOI:10.18535/moj.1024
- Ondina, R. & Cristina, P. (2016). E-recruitment platforms: Features that influence the efficiency of online recruitment systems. Informatica Economica, 20(2), 46-55
- Owuws, A. & Kwabena, S. (2014).Leveraging information technology (IT) in recruitment &selection processes: A comparative study. International Journal of Network and Communication Research, 2(1), 16-44
- Ozuru, H. & Chikwe, J. (2015). Electronic recruiting (E-recruiting) strategy and corporate adoption in Nigeria. European Journal of Business and Management, 7(22), 119 – 129
- Prabjot, K. (2015). E-recruitment: A conceptual study. International Journal Applied Research, 1(8), 78-82
- Sakinah, M., Nik, F., Rosfatihah, C, Nurfathizul, I., Husna, M., & Hassan, A. (2016). E-recruitment: The effective source of recruitment. Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences, 6(15), 84 – 89.
- Sidra, N. Mushtaq, H. & Tayyeb, A. (2016). Effectiveness of e-recruitment in small and medium enterprises of IT industry of Lahoreb (Pakistan). Pakistan Economic and Social Review, 54 (1), 143- 164.
- Steven, O & Yuping, L. (2007). Developing effective e-recruitment websites: Insight for managers from marketers. Business Horizons, 50, 305-314.
- Vaishali, L. & Shruti, A. (2013). Analyzing the effect of social media on recruitment. International Journal of Management and Social Science Research (IJMSSR), 2(9), 37-41.
- Yas, A. & Mona, F. (2015). Evaluating the factors affecting on intention to use e-recruitment. American Journal of Information Science and Computer Engineering, 1 (5), 324-331.
- Yogita, G. (2016). Literature review on e-recruitment: A step towards paperless HR. Research in Computer Science and Management Studies, 4(1), 79 - 84.
- Zulqarnain, M. & Razaullah (2015). The role of e-recruitment towards attraction of work force: A case of Telecom sector organization. Abasyn Journal of Social Sciences, 6(1), 104 – 115
Abstract Views: 81
PDF Views: 0