Open Access Subscription Access
Factors that Affect Consumers’ Tendency to Buy Locally Assembled Mobile Phone
Since the wireless communication service introduced in Ethiopia, a dramatic growing of a cellular phone communication device market is a one which attract firms to import and assembled such devices for local market. These imported and locally assembled handsets are computing for the same market using defined strategies and business objectives. The intent of this study was that to assess consumers’ tendency related to locally assembled mobile phone handset. The main aim of this study was knowledge contribution for local assembler related to their customer behavior and generation of reliable data for further study also an important focus. Descriptive quantitative research method was utilized therefore it would be convenient to imply decision characteristics, demographic association with preference and brand preference related to this study. Close –ended 5 point Likert scale questioner was used to gather primary data from 385 respondents. Secondary data collected from books, journals, magazine, websites and others relevant sources. The entire respondent should have their own mobile phone. Non probabilistic convenience sampling was implemented to select the respondents. Collected data was analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistical tools including logistic regression and chi-square test to understand the association between demographic variables with preference of mobile phone between local and international brand to understand situation and draw conclusion and recommendation of the findings. From the analysis, product price was identified as dominant factor followed by product quality. Price also had significant effect on mobile preference between local and foreign brands. TECNO mobile was identified dominant brand using by consumers. These studies suggest that local assemblers should consider these and additional factors to understand the true picture of their market environment. All the above mentioned quantitative data were computed using the Statistical Package for Social Science (SPSS-20).
Locally Assembled Mobile Handset, Consumers’ Behavior, Demography, Decision Factors.
- Ali I. C.; Syed A. A.; Muhammad A.; Rashid M. C.;Zafarullha; Siddique and Asif M, (2011). Impact of After Sale Service Characteristics on Customer Satisfaction. Information management and business review. vol. 3, no. 6, pp.360-365, iss 2220-3796. HYPERLINK"http://www.academia.edu/1163749/" http://www.academia.edu/1163749/ .Accede on January 15/2015.
- Beri G.C (2008). Marketing research fourth edition. Published by Tata McGraw Hill Education Privet Limited, 7 west Patel Nagar, New Delhi, India.
- Cynthia, G.; Richard D.; Sylvester G. (2013). Ghanaian Consumers of Mobile Phones: Is the Preference Local or Foreign? International Journal of Social Science (vol.1, No.3, P. 67-76). HYPERLINK "http://www.rassweb.com" http://www.rassweb.com .Accede on December 5/2014.
- Edwin C. I, Nwaizugbo C. I, Anayo D. N and Victor I. O, (2013). Effects of intrinsic and extrinsic product cues on consumers' purchase intention: a study of alcoholic beverage consumers in a developing country metropolitan city. International Refereed Research Journal. Vol.–IV, Issue–3. pp. 1-11. HYPERLINK "http://www.researchersworld.com" www.researchersworld.com . Accede on January 15/2015
- Hajra Arif ;Shahbaz Ahmed and Muhammad Farrukh( 2015). Factors Affecting Customer's Preferences to Buy Cellular Phone for Local versus International Brands: (A Case Study in Pakistan). Journal of Marketing and Consumer Research. Vol.10 p 1111-119. HYPERLINK "http://www.iiste.org" www.iiste.org . accessed on 15 Murch 2015.
- Hashim Z., Rashid S,& Raheel A. (2012). Mobile Phone Buying Behavior of Consumers; a Comparative Study of Rural and Urban Consumers in Pakistan. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, V. 12, I. 6, Ver. 1.0, p 55-59. HYPERLINK "http://journalofbusiness.org/index.php/GJMBR/article/view/688". Accede on December 05/2014.
- Mesay, S. (2013). Factors Affecting Consumer Buying Behavior of Mobile Phone Devices. Mediterranean Journal of Social Science .vol. 4, No.12, pp. 103-112. Doi:10.5901/mjss.2013.v4n12 p103. Accede on December 6/2014.
- Mirjam D. and Ted O.(2013). Students' Perceptions and Attitudes toward Sustainable Tourism Development in Albania. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences,Vol4 No 10.Doi:10.5901/mjss.2013.v4n10p706.
- Mohammad D., Behzad P. R., Mahboobeh A.(2013). The Impact of Mobile Phone Brands on Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty. International Research Journal of Applied and Basic Sciences. Vol. 5 (8): 957-961. HYPERLINK "http://www.irjabs.com" www.irjabs.com . Accede on December 6/2014.
- Orji, O.(2013). Major Classic Consumer Buying Behavior Models: Implications for Marketing Decision-Making.
- Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 164-172. HYPERLINK "http://www.iiste.org" http://www.iiste.org . Accede on December 12/2014.
- Pallant, J. (2007). SPSS Survival Manual. A step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS for Windows (version 12),3rd ed., Berkshire, McGrew-Hill
- Rama B. Radhakrishna.(2007). Tips for developing and testing questionnaires/instruments. Journal of extension. V 45, n 1. HYPERLINK "http://www.joe.org/joe/2007february/tt2.php" http://www.joe.org/joe/2007february/tt2.php . Acceded on December 22/2014
- Raymond K. D. (2013). Factors Affecting Mobile Phone Purchase in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana: A Binary Logit Model Approach. International Journal of Marketing Studies; Vol. 5, No. 6. doi:10.5539/ijms.v5n6p151 URL. Accede on December 6/2014.
- Safiek M. and Azizul Y. Y.(2012). Consumer Choice Criteria in Mobile Phone Selection: AnInvestigation of Malaysian University Students. International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities.Vol. 2, No. 2 , pp. 203-212. HYPERLINK "http://www.irssh.com" www.irssh.com . Acceded on 5 may/2015
Abstract Views: 121
PDF Views: 0