Open Access Subscription Access
Teaching English Literature to Digital Natives with special reference to Ernest Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea
This paper is an extension of the workshop titled Learning English Language, Literature and Critical thinking for Digital Natives I conducted at the UGC sponsored symposium on Learning English in the Glocalised World organized by the PG and Research Department of English, Vellalar College for Women (Autonomous), Erode, India on 24th January 2019 for the PG Students and Research Scholars of the region. Digital Natives are the children who were born since the last two decades of the 20th century when the world has been filled with computers, videogames, digital music players, cell phones, and myriads of technological toys and gadgets. The advent of the technological era has resulted in a dichotomy in the academic world which is the digital natives being taught by Digital Immigrant teachers i.e., the teachers who were born before the 1980s and immigrated into the world of modern technology. There are many clashes between the approaches of the teachers and the preferred learning styles of the learners. To bridge these gaps between them, the use of Internet Communication Technology is a viable solution. The need for incorporating ICT is a necessity in English Literature courses too. Having understood the need for incorporating internet-based technology into teaching, this paper explores various ways in which literature teaching can be enhanced using ICT to meet the learning needs of the digital native students. English literature courses are offered in most Arts colleges and Universities in India. The growing demand for these courses among young generations is not just passion driven but also because of the worldwide career scope they offer in various fields including teaching.
Blended Learning, Blogs, Digital Immigrants, Digital Natives, Films, Internet, Teaching Literature with Technology, ICT.
- AbdAlla, KMA. Technology integration in teaching literature. University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan. 2017. Available from: https://journals.sfu.ca/vict/index.php/vict/article/viewFile /242/120 on 14th April 2019.
- Mangish A. The Old Man and the Sea Critical Review. 23 March 2019. Available from: https://www.slideshare.net/spidymanjish/the-old-man-and-the-sea-review-ppt.
- Apple. Apple classroom of tomorrow today 2: Learning in the twenty-first century. 2008. 05 April 2019. Available from: http://ali.apple.com/acot2/global/files/ACOT2_Background.pdf.
- Uman B. The Old Man and The Sea as a tragedy. 2011. 23 March 2019. Available from: https://www.slideshare.net/umabhaliya/1303bhaliyauma.
- Blurton C. Directions of ICT Use in Education. 2002. 14 April 2019. Available from: https://www.unesco.org/education/educprog/lwf/dl/edict.pdf.
- Daves L. What stops teachers using new technology? M. Leask, Issues in Teaching Using ICT. p. 61–79; 2001. London: Routledge. PMid: 22312930. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203185117-5.
- Dewey J. The Child and the Curriculum. Edition illustrated reprint, ISBN 1360700501, 9781360700502). Wentworth Press: London; 2016.
- Quazi F. The Old Man and The Sea Book Review. 2017. 23 March 2019. Available from: https://www.slideshare.net/FaheemQazi2/the-old-man-and-the-sea-book-review.
- Fisher A. The Old Man and Sea Advanced Exam Preparation. 2010. 23 March 2019. Available from: https:// www.slideshare.net/andyfisher/the-old-man-and-the-sea-exam-preparation?qid=9ad59b1e-cfa2-4a1a-9367-c08f96cc0c4c&v=&b=&from_search=1.
- Flavia. Teaching and studying literature in the digital era From Text to Hypertext. KABA University of Tirana, Foreign Languages Faculty, Spanish Language Department. 2017. 28 March 2019. Available from: http://dergipark.gov.tr/download/article-file/354651.
- Google Images. Available from: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enOM843OM843&q=pins+on+the+old+man+and+the+sea&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjs556ErtbhAhWF-6QKHV6zAAQQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1280&bih=578.
- Justin J, Lalitha J. Integrated skills development through authentic films. Proceedings of the 8th ELT Conference. Sultan Qaboos University Language Centre: Oman; 2008. p. 113–20.
- Frank SK, Jukes I, McCain Ted DE, McCain Ted DE. Teaching the digital generation: No more cookie-cutter high schools. Michael Hinojosa Republished in Australia by Hawker Brownlow Education; 2009.
- Koskimaa R. The challenge of Cybertext: Teaching literature in the digital world. 2007. 23 March 2019. Available from: https://www.uoc.edu/uocpapers/4/dt/eng/koskimaa.pdf.
- Light D. The role of ICT in enhancing education in developing countries: Findings from an evaluation on the Intel Teach Essentials Course in India, Turkey and Chile. Journal of Education for International Development. 2009; 4(2):52–6.
- Scher L. The Old Man and the Sea. Linkedin SlideShare. 2011. 23 March 2019. Available from: https://www.slideshare.net/linkedin.
- Petrov A. The Old Man and the Sea: Animation. 1999. 24 March 2019. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ih1IRIRxI.
- Prensky M. Digital natives, digital immigrants. On the Horizon (MCB University Press. 2001 Oct; 9(5). 2019. 12 April 2019. Available from: https://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf.
- Printmeposter.com. 12 April 2019. Available from: https://printmeposter.com/blog/the-use-of-posters-in-education/.
- Saunders DJ. Visual communication handbook: Teaching and learning using simple visual materials. London: United Society for Christian Literature; 1974.
- Sturges J, Zinnemann F. The Old Man and The Sea: Film. 1958. 24 March 2019. Available from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052027/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4.
- Scheer AC. Teaching English to Digital Natives: Harnessing the power of socialnetworks and Information and communication technology. (Thesis). 2012. 17 April 2019. Available from: https://portal.education.lu/inno/PUBLICATIONS/Travaux-de-candidature/ArtMID/3717/ArticleID/523936/.
- The Old Man and The Sea: Film. 24 March 2019. Available from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052027/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4.
- Taylor J. 1990. 24 March 2019. Available from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100288/?ref_=tt_rec_tt.
- Tapscott D. Grown up digital: How the net generation is changing your world. New York: MacGraw Hill; 2009.
Abstract Views: 79
PDF Views: 66