Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Impact of Corporate Governance on Financial Performance of Firms in India
Corporate Governance refers to the framework of rules and practices by which a board of directors ensures accountability, fairness, and transparency in a company's relationship with all its stakeholders. Failure of corporates like Enron or Satyam is the prime argument for better corporate governance. In the light of major corporate debacles, efforts have been made for putting into operation better corporate governance. The question then arises, does governance indeed affect the financial performance of a firm? The present study aims to examine and determine the impact of corporate governance on financial performance of firms in India. The study was conducted on a sample consisting of 30 companies of the BSE Sensex for a period of five financial years from 2011-12 to 2015-16. It was concluded that board and audit committee independence significantly have a bearing on performance measures of a company. The performance measures of older companies were significantly higher than younger companies which indicate that the governance of companies with higher age tends to be better. Audit committee independence, audit committee size and age have a significant correlation with performance measures, though the correlations are weak yet positive. Board size (6 to 18 in the sample) is negatively associated with performance measures indicating that large boards have an adverse impact on financial performance of firms.
Corporate Governance, Return on Assets, Return on Equity, Return on Capital Employed, Board Size, Board Independence, Audit Size, Audit Independence.
- Aggarwal, P. (2013), “Impact of Corporate Governance on Corporate Financial Performance”, IOSR Journal of Business and Management (IOSR-JBM) e-ISSN: 2278-487X, p-ISSN: 2319-7668. 13(3), 01-05 www.iosrjournals.org
- Dwivedi, N. “Determinants of Board Effectiveness: Evidence from Large Indian Firms” International Journal of Management Practices and Contemporary Thoughts, pp 1-17
- Gupta, M & Newalkar, G. (2015) “Impact of Corporate Governance on the Profitability of a Firm: Empirical Study on National Stock Exchange”, Conference proceedings, 2nd International Conference on Science, Technology and Management, University of Delhi.
- Kapooria, P et.al., (2013) “Impact of Corporate Governance on Firm Performance: An Empirical Analysis of IT and Manufacturing Sectors”, International Global Research Analysis, 02 (06), 123-124.
- Lal C. Chugh et al, “Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Evidence from India”, Journal of Finance and Accountancy.
- Madan Mohan, G. & Marimuthu. (2015), “A Study on the Impact of Corporate Governance on Financial Performance” ISSN Online (2395-1664) ICTACT Journal on Management Studies, 01(01), 30-33 doi:10.21917/ijms.2015.0005
- Sridhar,V.R and SakthivelMurugan, M. (2015, August) “Impact of Corporate Governance on financial performance of companies – A study with reference to selected corporate sectors” International Journal in Commerce, IT & Social Sciences, 02(08),10-23
- Vishwakarma, R and Kumar, A. (2015) “Does Corporate Governance Increase Firms Performance of its Industry? An Empirical Analysis” BVIMSR’s Journal of Management Research, 07(02), 82-90
Abstract Views: 13
PDF Views: 0