Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Study to Understand the Traffic Behavior of the People and their Underlying Attitude Towards Safe Driving and Traffic Rules
It has been largely observed that people riding vehicles on the road generally lack traffic sense in most of the cities in India. Everyone, irrespective of the type of vehicles, wants to be the first one reaching their respective destinations. Hence they end driving fast, overtaking wrongly, blowing horn unnecessarily, without caring about the others on the road. Driving with a care for others on the road definitely makes the ride a peaceful and safe one for driver and for others as well. The literature review indicates that people‟s attitude towards the traffic rules and regulations have been largely responsible for unsafe driving. Several measures have been taken by the government authority such as conducting awareness campaigns, educating people and even the punishment to promote safe driving behavior. However these efforts seem to have created negligible impact on the behavior of the people. This study is an attempt to understand the attitude of the people towards safe driving and traffic rules.
Traffic Behavior, Attitude Toward Safe Driving, Traffic Sense.
- Yagil Dana, (1998), Gender and Age Related Differences in Attitudes toward Traffic Laws and Traffic Violations Transportation Research Part F, Perga, 123-135
- Fergusson D, Swain-Campbell N, Horwood J.(2003), Risky Driving Behaviour in Young People: Prevalence, Personal Characteristics and Traffic Accidents, Australian New Zealand Journal of Public Health,27,337-342
- Crundall D, Van Loon E, Underwood G(2006), Attraction and Distraction of Attention with Roadside Advertisements, Accident Analysis and Prevention,38(4),617-627
- Machin M.A., Sankey K.S.(2008), Relationships Between Young Drivers‟ Personality Characteristics, Risk Perceptions, and Driving Behavior, Accident Analysis and Prevention.,40,541-547
- Sixsmith J, Sixsmith A.(1993), Older People: Driving and New Technology. Applied Ergonomics Journal.,24,40-53
- Ulleberg P, Rundmo T.(2003), Personality, Attitudes and Risk Perception as Predictors of Risky Driving Behaviour Among Young Drivers, Safety Science Journal.,41,427-443
- Zhuang M, Bai H, Xie X.(2007), A Study on Risky Driving Behaviour and Related Factors, Acta Scientiarum Naturalism Universitatis Pekinensi,75-82
- Simpson H. M.(1987), Community-Based Approaches to Highway Safety, Health Promotion and Drinking-Driving, Drug Alcohol Depend,20,27-37
- Bingham C. R. Shope J. T.(2004), Adolescent Development Antecedents of Risky Driving Among Young Adults, J Stud Alcohol, 65,84-94
- Bingham C. R. Shope J. T., Ragunathan T.(2006), Patterns Of Traffic Offenses From Adolescent Licensure Into Early Young Adulthood, Journal of Adolescent Health., 39,35-42
- Barkley R. A. , Murphy K. R. , Kwasnik D.(1996), Motor Vehicle Driving Competencies and Risks in Teens and Young Adults With Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, American Academy of Pediatrics,98(6), 1089-1095
- Musselwhite C. (2006), Attitudes towards Vehicle Driving Behaviour: Categorizing and Contextualizing Risk, Accident Analysis and Prevention,38,324-334
- Arthur W, Jr, Doverspike D.(2001),Predicting Motor Vehicle Crash Involvement From A Personality Measure and A Driving Knowledge Test, Journal Of Prevention and Intervention in the Community,22,35–42 Beirness DJ.(1993), Do We Really Drive As We Live? The Role of Personality Factors in Road Crashes, Alcohol, Drugs, and Driving, 9,129–143.
- Dahlen ER, Martin RC, Ragan K, Kuhlman MM(2005), Driving Anger, Sensation Seeking, Impulsiveness: And Boredom Proneness In The Prediction of Unsafe Driving, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 37(2),341-348.
- Schwebel DC, Severson J, Ball KK, Rizzo M.(2006), Individual difference factors in risky driving, the roles of anger/hostility, conscientiousness, and sensation-seeking, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 38(4),801-810.
- Fine B. J.(1963), Introversion-Extroversion and Motor Vehicle Driver Behaviour, Perceptual and Motor Skills,12,95-100
- Schwebel D. C., Ball K. K., Severson J., Barton B.K., Rizzo M.,Viamonte S. M.(2007), Individual Diffrence Factors in Risky Driving Among Older Adults, Journal of Safety Research,38(5),501-509
- Deffenbacher J. L., Oetting E. R., Lynch R. S.(1994), Development of Driving Anger Scale, Psychological Reports,74, 83-91
- Vernic J. S., Ogaitis, G. Li S.,Mac Kenri E.J.,Paker S.P. and Gilem N. C.(1999),Effects of High School Driver Education on Motor Vehicle Crashes, Violence, and Licensure, American Journal of Preventive Medicine,16,40-46
- Harre N., Field J., Kirkwood B.(1996), Gender Differences and Areas of Common Concern in the Driving Behaviours And Attitudes of Adolescent, Journal of Safety Reasearch,27,163-173
- Ivers R., Senserrick T., Boufous S., Stevenson M., Chen Huei-Chen, Woodward M., Norton R.(2009), Novice Drivers‟ Risky Driving Behaviour, Risk Perception and Crash Risk: Findings from the Drive Study,American Journal of Public Health,99(9),1638-1644
- Dula C. S., Ballard M. E.(2003), Developmenrt and Evaluation of Measure of Dangerous, Aggressive, Negative Emotional, and Risky Driving, Journal of Applied Social Psychology,33(2), 263-282
- Alm H., Nilsson L.(1995), The Effect of A Mobile Telephone Task on Driver Behaviour in A Car Following Situation, Accident Analysis and Prevention,27(5),707-715
- Mobile Phone Use: A Growing Problem of Driver Distraction. Geneva, Switzerland, World Health Organization,2011(http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/publications/road_tra€c/en/index.html).
- Strayer, David, Drews F., Albert R., Johnston W.(2001), New Study Suggests that Cell Phone Conversations Can Be Significant Distraction for Motorists, National Safety Council.
Abstract Views: 31
PDF Views: 0