Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Real Time Face Recognition in Raspberry Pi: A Guide to Proper Usage of the Available Resources
The use of facial recognition technology is gaining rapid popularity due to its appealing nature and possible use in various fields of life. Its integration into security systems as well as other aspects of technology such as robots has caused researchers around the globe to come up with numerous methods of recognition using different concepts. This paper is a part of a project aiming to develop a robot to be able to identify people in the daily environment. Hence, it makes use of the most readily available and student-friendly development board, the Raspberry Pi, for image processing. The goal of this paper is to compare few widely used methods of face detection and conclude as to which is better at the task.
Cascades, Convolutional Neural Networks, Face Detection, Face Recognition, Raspberry Pi, Webcam.
- Gupta I, Patil V, Kadam C, Dumbre S. Face detection and recognition using Raspberry Pi. 2016 IEEE International WIE Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (WIECON-ECE); 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/WIECON-ECE.2016.8009092.
- Hu G, Yang Y, Yi D, Kittler J, Christmas W, Li SZ, Hospedales T. When face recognition meets with deep learning: An evaluation of convolutional neural networks for face recognition. 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops; 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCVW.2015.58.
- Viola PA, Jones MJ. Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features. Proceedings IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/ CVPR.2001.990517.
- Lit H, Lin Z, Shen X, Brandt J, Huat G. A convolutional neural network cascade for face detection, 2015 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2015.
- Ranjan R, Patel VM, Chellappa R. HyperFace: A deep multi-task learning framework for face detection, landmark localization, pose estimation, and gender recognition. 2017 IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence; 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2017.2781233.
- Agarwal A, Triggs B. Multilevel image coding with hyperfeatures. International Journal of Computer Vision. 2008; 15–27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11263-007-0072-x.
- Deng J, Dong W, Socher R, Li L-J, Li K, Fei-Fei L. Imagenet: A largescale hierarchical image database. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2009; 2009. p. 248–255. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2009.5206848.
- Chen D, Ren S, Wei Y, Cao X, Sun J. Joint cascade face detection and alignment. Computer Vision-ECCV; 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-10599-4_8.
- Felzenszwalb PF, Girshick RB, McAllester D, Ramanan D. Object detection with discriminatively trained part based models. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence; 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2009.167 PMid:20634557.
- Schroff F, Kalenichenko D, Philbin J. FaceNet: A unified embedding for face recognition and clustering. 2015 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2015.7298682.
- Yin X, Liu X. Multi-task convolutional neural network for poseinvariant face recognition. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing; 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2017.2765830.
- Zhao W, Chellappa R, Phillips PJ, Rosenfeld A. Face recognition: A literature survey, ACM Computing Surveys. 2003 Dec; 35(4):399–458. https://doi.org/10.1145/954339.954342.
- Lienhart R, Maydt J. An extended set of Haar-like features for rapid object detection. Proceedings International Conference on Image Processing; 2002. p. I-900–I-903. https://doi.org/10.1109/ ICIP.2002.1038171.
- Jiang H, Learned-Miller E. Face detection with the faster R-CNN. 2017 12th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition; 2017.
- Ahonen T, Hadid A, Pietikainen M. Face description with local binary patterns: Application to face recognition. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2006; 28(12):2037–41. https://doi.org/10.1109/ TPAMI.2006.244 PMid:17108377.
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 0