Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Workplace Spirituality and Managerial Effectiveness
Workplace spirituality includes values like love, non-violence, honesty, peace, quality work and right conduct while some believe treating employees and workers in a caring and responsible way. The concept of workplace spirituality and managerial effectiveness is explained through various perceptions. Recent research has proved that spirituality at workplace can significantly boost the productivity and overall performance of an organisation. Latest studies now aim to provide analysis on how spirituality may be applied to various walks of life, at the private and personal level, and also at the professional and official level. As a result of this, there is now a broader vision as far as organisational techniques of workplace spirituality is concerned. The spiritual potential of each individual must be tapped into for a productive professional output. In this, professionals and the management of organisations themselves are slowly beginning to understand the importance of spirituality in work spaces. They now realise that the appropriate intertwining of spirituality and work. This paper seeks to address how spirituality is linked with workplace behaviour and productivity and how it can enhance the same.
Managerial Effectiveness, Organization Effectiveness, Spirituality, Workplace Spirituality.
- Abdullah A, Alzaidiyeen N, Aldarabah I. Workplace spirituality and leadership effectiveness among educational managers in Malaysia. European Journal of Social Sciences. 2009; 10(2):304–16.
- Ashmos D, Duchon D. Spirituality at work: A conceptualisation and measure. Journal of Management. 2000l; 9(2):134–45. https://doi.org/10.1177/105649260092008
- Balarman S. Are leadership styles predictive of managerial effectiveness? Indian Journal of industrial relations. 1989 Apr; 24(4):399–415.
- Barrick M, Mount M. The big give personality dimensions and job effectiveness: A meta analysis. Personnel Psychology. 1991; 44(1): 1–26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1991.tb00688.x
- Bartol K, Martin D. Management. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1991. PMCid:PMC1281209
- Binerman J, Whitby M. A postmodern spiritual future for work. Journal of Organisational Change and Management. 1997; 10(2):130–8. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534819710160790
- Crawford A, Hubbard S, Lonis-Shumate S, O’neill M. Workplace spirituality and employee attitudes within the lodging environment. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism. 2009; 8(1):64–81. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332840802274445
- Fairholm GW. Real Leadership: How spiritual values give leadership meaning; 2011.
- Ghosh S. Investment opportunities in India energy sector. International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management. 2007; 64–81.
- Graber DR. Spirituality and healthcare organisations. Journal of Healthcare Management. 2001; 46(1):39–50. https://doi.org/10.1097/00115514-200101000-00008 PMid:11216122
- Gupta S. Manegerial effectiveness: conceptual framework and scale development. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations. 1996; 31(3):392–409.
- Hackman J. Work redesign and motivation. Professional Psychology. 1980; 11(3):445–55. https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.11.3.445
- Hicks DA. Religion and the workplace: Pluralism, Spirituality, Leadership. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2003. https:// doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511615474
- Imitiaz S, Ahmed S. Impact of stress on employee productivity, performance and turnover: An important managerial issue. International Review of Business Research Papers. 2009; 5(4):468–77.
- Karakas F. Spirituality and performance: a literature review. Journal of Business Ethics. 2010; 94(1):89–106. https://doi.org/10.1007/ s10551-009-0251-5
- Kolodinsky R, Giacalone R, Jurkiewicz C. Workplace values and outcomes: Exploring personal, organisational, and interactive workplace spirituality. Journal of Business Ethics. 2008; 81(2):465– 80. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9507-0
- Kumar N, Rose R, Subramaniam. The effects of personality and cultural intelligence on international assignment effectiveness: A review. Journal of Social Sciences. 2008; 4(4):320–8. https://doi.org/10.3844/jssp.2008.320.328
- Kumar SL, Neck C. The “what” “Why” and “how” of spirituality in workplace. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 2002; 17(3):153–64. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940210423060
- Mahoney MJ, Graci GM. The meanings and correlates of spirituality: Suggestions from an explpratory survey of experts. Death Studies. 1991; 23:521–8.
- Malik M, Naeem B. Role of spirituality in job satisfaction and organisational commitment among faculty of institutes of hgher learning in pakistan. African Journal of Business management, 2011; 5(4):1236–44.
- Marques J, Dhiman S, King R. Spirituality in the workplace developing an integral model and a comprehensive definition. Journal of American Academy of Business. 2005; 7(1):81–91.
- Milliman J, Czaplewski A, Ferguson J. Workplace spirituality and employee work attitudes: an exploratory assessment. Journal of Organizational Change Management. 2003; 16(4):426–47. https:// doi.org/10.1108/09534810310484172
- Mitroff I, Denton EA. A spiritual audit of corporate America: A hard look at spirituality, religion and values in the workplace. 1st ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 1999.
- Morley M. Person-organization fit. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 2007; 22(2):109–17. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940710726375
- Narayan S, Rangenkar S. An emperical study of organizational climate and HRD climate and job involvement as predictors of managerial efffectiveness. Proceedings of Glogift; 2008. p. 146–60.
- Nasina M, Doris K. The workplace spirituality and effective commitment among auditors in big four public accounting firms: does it matter. Journal of Global Management. 2011; 2(1):216–26.
- Neal J, Bennett J. Examining multi-level or holistic spiritual phenomena in the workplace. Management, Spirituality and Religion Newsletter; 2000. p. 1–2.
- Neal J, Biberman A. Introduction: The leading in research on spirituality and organizations. Journal of Organizational Change Management. 2003; 16(4):363–6. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810310484127
- Noor S, Arif S. Achieving job satisfaction via workplace spirituality: Pakistani doctors in focus. European Journal of Social Sciences. 2011; 19(4):507–15.
- Nunnally J. Psychometric theory. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1978.
- Pathak R, Chauhan V, Dhar U, Gramberg B. Managerial effectiveness as a function of culture and tolerance of ambiguity a cross-cultural study of India and Fiji. International Employment Relations Review. 2009; 15(1):73–119.
- Rastogi R, Dave V. Managerial effectiveness: a function of personality type and organisational components. Singapore Management Review. 2004; 26(2):79–87.
- Ravichandran A. Organizational structure, HR practices and its outcomes: A conceptual model. International Conference on Technology and Business Management; 2011. p. 632–9.
- Rego A, Pina e Cunha M. Workplace spirituality and organizational commitment: An emerical study. Journal of Organizational Change Management. 2008; 21(1):53–75. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810810847039
- Smith PS. Values. Handbook of cross-cultural psychology; 1997. p.77-118.
- Thompson W. Spirituality at work. Executive Excellence. 2001; 18(9):10.
- Ushman A, Danish R. Leadership spirituality and organizational commitment among bank employees. International Journal of Business and Management. 2010; 5(3):185–93.
- Vaill P. Introduction to spirituality for business leadership. Journal of Management Inquiry. 2000; 9(2):115–6. https://doi.org/10.1177/105649260092004
- Vallabh P. Workplace spirituality- relationship with organizationsl culture and organizational effectiveness. AIMS International Conference on Value-based Management; 2010 Aug. p. 881–5.
- White KL. Revolution for the human spirit. Organizational Development Journal. 2001; 19(2):47–58.
Abstract Views: 16
PDF Views: 0