Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Supply Chain Management of Indian Agriculture Industry: An Exploratory Study
Indian Agriculture/Agro Industry (IAI) is an integral part of Indian society and economy. Approximately half of the total population relies on this industry as a principle source of income and it contributes around 14% of India’s GDP. Indian food business has increased to US$ 250 billion in 2015 as compared to US$ 220 billion in the year 2009 and expected to grow further rapidly in the next ten years. Indian Agriculture is a world leader in terms of production of many product categories As a result, on one hand engagement of huge population, rising demand, farm mechanization, increase in global markets, etc., offer huge potential for this industry. On the other hand, it faces many severe problems. Producers of agro products are getting merely 30–35 per cent of the market price in most of the cases due to lack of supply chain practices. Annual wastages of agricultural output are also very high which in monetary term sums up to around Rs 90,000 Crore. This wastage is mainly due to inadequate supply chain infrastructure. The objective of this paper is to highlight the present scenario of Indian Agricultural Industry in terms of prospects and explores various supply chain related issues of this industry.
Agro Industry, Indian Agriculture, Real-Time Information, Supply Chain Management, Supply Chain Network.
- Agrawal DK. Indian agro and food supply chain: Issues and challenges. Proceedings of International Conference ICONBHU 2011; Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. 2010 Jan 21–23.
- Agrawal DK. (2010). Supply chain management: strategy, cases and best practices. New Delhi: MacMillan Publishers India Ltd.
- Ishant B. Has food corporation of India reduced its inefficiency? Business Standard. 2015 Dec 22.
- Bowonder B, Gupta V, Singh A. Developing a rural market e-hub: The case study of e-Choupal experience of ITC; 2007.
- Developing a Rural Market e-hub- The case study of e-Choupal experience of ITC. Available from: http://planningcommission.nic.in/reports/sereport/ser/stdy_ict/4_e-choupal%20.pdf
- Ramesh C. Platform for National Agricultural Market, EPW. 2016; 51(28).
- Dasgupta S. APMC ACT Amendment-Freedom from middleman for farmers, opinion Economic Freedom; 2014.
- Data Bank on Economic Parameters of the Food Processing Sector, Ministry of Food Processing Industries (Indian Brand Equity Foundation).
- Deloitte Report. Enhancing firm level competitiveness: Indian food and agro processing industry, strategies and roadmap development, for National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council. Govt of India; 2009.
- Deloitte Report. Making an Impact that Matters. Global Reports; 2015.
- Economic Times Intelligence Group. Changing gears: Retailing in India. Economic Times, Knowledge Series, Economic Times Intelligence Group, Mumbai; (2003),
- Fa champs M, Vargas-Hill RV, Minten B. Quality control in non-staple food markets: Evidence from India. Agricultural Economics. 2008; 38(3):251–66. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.15740862.2008.00297.x.
- FAIDA Revisited Realizing the Potential. CII- Mckensey report. 2004 Jan.
- FOBICS. Success Through Service “Food Processing in India”; 2015.
- Food Processing Policy; 2005. Available from: http://www.mofpi.nic.in
- Zia H. Food India wastes can feed all of Bihar for a year, shows govt study-Hindustan Times, New Delhi; 2015. Available from: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/food-indiawastescan-feed-all-of-bihar-for-a-year-shows-govt-study/ story-qwV3C9YnJAoXn83b3htmsK.html
- Lee HL, Seungjin W. E-business and Supply chain integration. Stanford Global Supply Chain SGSCMF- W2–2001 Management Forum; 2001.
- IBEF (India Brand Equity Foundations). Agriculture in India: Information About Indian Agriculture and its importance; 2015. Available from: www.ibef.org
- India as an agriculture and high value food powerhouse- A new vision for 2030 FAIDA, A Report. CII and Mc. Kinsey; 2013.
- India’s Sleeping Giant: Food. Mckinsey Quarterly; 1997.
- Krishna MR. Agriculture under sustainable development discovery Delhi: Publishing House; 2015.
- Mehta CR, Chandel NS, Senthilkumar T, Singh KK. 2014. Trends of agricultural mechanization in India, ESCAP CSAM, Policy Brief.
- National land utilization policy framework for land use planning and management. Department of Land Resources; 2013.
- Raghunath S, Ashok D. Delivering simultaneous benefits to the farmer and the common man: Time to unshackle the agricultural produce distribution system. Business World India; 2004.
- Ramesh P, Singh M, Rao, A. Organic farming: Its relevance to the Indian context. Current Science. 2005; 88(4).
- Report of Department of Land Resources of Govt of India; 2013.
- Report on Agriculture and Allied Industries. India Brand Equity Foundation; 2017. Available from: https://www.ibef.org/download/ Agriculture-and-Allied-Industries-December-20172.pdf
- Report on Cold Chain in India. A note on the present status and future prospects. Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry; 2004 Oct.
- Parwez S. Food Supply chain management in Indian agriculture: Issues, Opportunities and Further Research, African journal of Business Management. 2014; 8(4):572–81.
- Parwez S. Food supply chain management in Indian agriculture: Issues, opportunities and further research, centre for studies in economics and planning. Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, Munich Personal RePEc Archive; 2013. Available from: https:// mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/60441/
- Singh JP. Developing countries, agriculture and the WTO. Yojna; 2014 Jun. p. 24.
- Singh S. Contract farming for agricultural development: Review of theory and practice with special reference to India. Bhaumic SK, editor. Reforming Indian Agriculture: Towards Employment Generation and Poverty Reduction. New Delhi: Sage. 2014; 8:165–195.
- The Economic Times Intelligence Group. Supply Chain and Logistics 2002. The ET Knowledge Series; Mumbai. 2002.
- Vision, Strategy and action plan for food processing industries. Volume I and Volume II, Prepared by Rabobank, India for the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of India. 2004 Dec. Available from: http://mofpi.nic.in/visdoc/visndoc.htm
Abstract Views: 30
PDF Views: 0