Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Impact of Working Capital Efficiency on Firms’ Profitability: A Study on Manufacturing Sector in India
The study highlights the efficiency of manufacturing companies in India in managing their day to day requirements for capital which may have an impact on the profitability of a concern. The concept has been studied before by many academicians. However, the set of study has not been performed for the selected time period and with the sample companies. S&P BSE Stocks as per their market capitalization have been taken from 2009-16. The conversions of sale into cash and profit margins have been incorporated in the study. Using Panel data regression analysis in STATA, results have been interpreted showing significant impact of efficiency in management of operating capital vis-a-vis profits in the firm. The cash conversion cycle of sample companies has significantly affected their net profit margin. It may be deduced from the results that the short term capital managerial efficiency is an important variable and has the capacity to influence profit margins in case of manufacturing units.
Gross Operating Cycle, Net Operating Cycle, Net Profit Margin, Profitability, Working Capital Management.
- Agha H. Impact of working capital management on profitability, European Scientific Journal. 2014; 10(1):374-381.
- Alipour M. Working capital management and corporate profitability: Evidence from Iran, World Applied Sciences Journal. 2011; 12(7):1093-99.
- Babu NS, Chalam GV. Study on the working capital management efficiency in Indian Leather Industry - An empirical analysis, International Journal of Research in Management and Technology. 2014; 4(5):196-201.
- Bagchi B, Chakrabarti J, Roy PB. Influence of working capital management on profitability: A Study on Indian FMCG Companies, International Journal of Business and Management. 2012; 7(22), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v7n22p1.
- Balestra P. Introduction to Linear Models for Panel Data. In: Mátyás, L. and Sevestre, P. (Eds.), The Econometrics of Panel Data (21-29), Netherlands: Springer; 1992. https://doi.org/10.1007/97894-009-0375-3_2.
- Danuletiu AE. Working capital management and profitability: A Case of Alba County Companies, Annals Universities Apulensis Series Oeconomica, 2010; 12(1):364-74.
- Deloof M. Does Working Capital Management Affect Profitability of Belgian Firms? Journal of Business Finance and Accounting. 2003; 30(3):573-87. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-5957.00008.
- Enqvist J, Graham M, Nikkinen J. The Impact of working capital management on firm profitability in different business cycles: Evidence from Finland, Research in International Business and Finance. 2014; 32:36-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2014.03.005.
- Ganesan Vedavinayagam. An analysis of working capital management efficiency in telecommunication equipment industry, Riveir Academic Journal. 2007; 3(2):1-10.
- Gill Amarjit, Biger N, Mathur N. The relationship between working capital management and profitability: An evidence from the United States, Business and Economics Journal. 2010; 1-9.
- Joshi LK, Ghosh S. Working capital management of Cipla Limited: An empirical study. International Journal of Marketing, Financial Services and Management Research. 2012; 1(8):170-86.
- Karaduman HA, Akbas HE, Ozsozgun A, Durer S. Effects of working capital management on profitability: The case for selected companies in the Istanbul Stock Exchange (2005-2008), International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies. 2010; 2(2):47-54.
- Koto RK, Vitor DA, Angmor PL. Working capital management and profitability: Evidence from Ghanainan listed manufacturing firms, Journal of Economics and International Finance. 2013; 5(9):373-79.
- Nazir MS, Afza T. Impact of aggressive working capital management policy on firms’ profitability, IUP Journal of Applied Finance. 2009; 15(8):19-30.
- Padachi, Kesseven. Trends in working capital management and its impact on firms’ performance: An analysis of mauritian small manufacturing firms, International Review of Business Research Papers. 2006; 2(2):45-58.
- Raheman Abdul, Nasr Mohamed. Working capital management and profitability- A case of Pakistani firms, International Review of Business Research Papers. 2007; 3(1):279-300.
Abstract Views: 32
PDF Views: 0