Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Business Sustainability Measures in Tribal Jharkhand
The objective of this paper is to identify the CSR activities, sustainable measures and its uniqueness undertaken by these industries to uplift the tribal people and its rural impact. These industries, along with the government, are promoting and funding small scale enterprises, and are taking initiatives to boost the startup ecosystem. We have used Exploratory and cross-sectional research design. We have studied sustainability in a single snapshot of the critical industries in Jharkhand. We have collected data through interviews, journals, articles, annual reports and sustainability reports. The findings reveal that innovation is a vital element for sustainable business. This study also shows the impact of sustainability measures undertaken by these industries in the development of rural Jharkhand. It further lays down a conceptual foundation model along with policy and strategy level implications.
Corporate Social Responsibility, Sustainability, Tribal, Rural Impact.
- About Jharkhand Information on Mining Industries. (2017). Economy, agriculture and geography. Retrieved from https://www.ibef.org/states/jharkhand.aspx
- Annual Report. (2017). CCL. Retrieved from http://www.centralcoal-fields.in/prfnc/pdf/08_09_2017_ccl_anl_rprt_1617.pdf
- Annual Report. (2017). MECON. Retrieved from http://www.meconlimited.co.in/Writereaddata/Downloads/Annual%20Report16-17.pdf
- Annual Report. (2016). HEC. Retrieved from http://hecltd.com/download/performance/AnnualReport-2015-2016_English.pdf
- Annual Report. (2017). Hindustan Copper Limited. Retrieved from http://www.hindustancopper.com/Upload/Reports/0-636391787940175000-AnnualReport.pdf
- Annual Report. (2017). Burnpur cement. Retrieved from http://burnpurcement.com/pdf/financials/Annual_Report_2016-17.pdf
- Annual Report. (2017). USHA Martin. Retrieved from http://www.usha-martin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/UM_AR_2016-17.pdf
- Anriquesz, G., & Stamoulis, K. (2007). Rural development and poverty reduction: Is agriculture still the key? CID WP No. 07. The food and agriculture organization of the United Nations, ESA.
- Bowen, H. R. (1953). Social responsibility of the businessman. Harper: New York.
- Barnea, A., & Rubin, A. (2010). Corporate social responsibility as a conflict between shareholders. Journal of Business Ethics, 97(1), 71-86.
- Blowfield, M., & Murray, A. (2008). Corporate responsibility: A critical introduction. Oxford: New York: Oxford University Press.
- Calton, J. M., & Payne, S. L. (2003). Coping with paradox: Multistakeholder learning dialogue as a pluralist sensemaking process for addressing messy problems. Business & Society, 42(1), 7-42.
- Carroll, A. B. (1979). A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate performance. Academy of Management Review, 4(4), 497-505.
- Cespa, G., & Cestone, G. (2007). Corporate social responsibility and managerial entrenchment. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 16(3), 741-771.
- Elkington, J. (1995). Cannibals with forks: The triple bottom line of 21st century business. Oxford: Capstone.
- Fishman, R., Heal, G., & Nair, V. (2005). Working paper corporate social responsibility: Doing well by doing good? Wharton School: University of Pennsylvania.
- Harjoto, M. A., & Jo, H. (2011). Corporate governance and CSR nexus. Journal of Business Ethics, 100(1), 45-67.
- Jensen, M. C. (2001). Value maximization, stakeholder theory, and the corporate objective function. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 14(3), 8-21.
- Meyer, P. B., & Burayidi, M. (1991). Is value conflict inherent in rural economic development? An exploratory examination of unrecognized choices. Agriculture and Human Values, 8(3), 10-18.
- Meyer, & Francois, D. (1991). Is value conflict inherent in rural economic development? An exploratory examination of unrecognized choices, agriculture and human value. Summer Paper No. 3, Gainesville, Florida: USA.
- The Presidency. (2000). Integrated sustainable rural development strategy (ISRDS). Pretoria: Government Printer. Jharkhand Industrial Policy, IBEF, Department of Industry, Government of Jharkhand, CSO. SEZ, India. Retrieved from www.jharkhand.gov.in/web/guest/resouce and environment
- Jharkhand Industrial Policy. (2017). IBEF, Directorate of Economics and Statistics of Jharkhand, Central State Office. Retrieved from www.jharkhand.gov.in/web/guest/resouceandenvirnment
- Jharkhand Industrial Policy. (2017). IBEF, Department of Ministry and Geology, Government of Jharkhand, Jharkhand and State Mineral Development Corporation, Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India. Retrieved from www.jharkhand.gov.in/web/guest/resouceandenvirnment
- Ristic, L. (2013). Strategic management of sustainable rural development in the republic of Siberia. Economic Horizon, 15(3), 233-248.
- Scherer, A. G., Palazzo, G., & Baumann, D. (2006). Global rules and private actors: Toward a new role of the transnational corporation in global governance. Business Ethics Quarterly, 16(4), 505-532.
- Patzelt, H., & Shepherd, D. A. (2011). Recognizing opportunities for sustainable development. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 35(4), 631-652.
- Schumpeter, J. A. (1934). The theory of economic development, profit, capital, credits, interest and business cycle. Transaction Publishers: Cambridge.
- Sustainability Report. (2017). Tata Steel. Retrieved from http://www.tatasteel.com/media/4852/csr-2016-17.pdf
- Sustainability Report. (2017). Tata Motors. Retrieved from http://www.tatamotors.com/investors/financials/72-ar-html/pdf/Tata-Motors-AR-2016-17.pdf
- Sustainability Report. (2017). Tata Chemicals. Retrieved from https://sustainability.tatachemicals.com
- Sustainability Report. (2017). HINDALCO. Retrieved from www.hindalco/sustainability/CSR
- Sustainability Report. (2017). BOKARO Steel Plant. Retrieved from https://sail.co.in/sustainability-report
- Sustainability Report. (2017). Aditya Birla Chemicals Limited. Retrieved from https://www.adityabirlanuvo.com/pdf/2017-ABG-2016-Sus-Rep.pdf
- UNCED Report. (1992). Rio earth summit. Retrieved from www.un.org/geninfo/bp/enviro.htm
- UNDP Report. (2016). Sustainable development goals. Retrieved from www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/sustainable-development-goals.html
- Wisser, W. (2010). The age of DNA responsibility. Journal of Business System Governance and Ethics, 5(3).
- World Bank. (1997). Taking action to reduce poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa. Development Practice: Washington.
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development. Retrieved from http://www.wbcsd.org/workprogram/business-role/previous-work/corporate-social-responsibility.aspx
- WCED. (1987). Our common future report: UN world commission on environment and development. Retrieved from http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 1