Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
In this paper, we will first briefly describe what may be understood by the terms `group`, and `group work‟, their significance and the skills required to make group work successful and effective. We will then look at Tuck man‟s theory of group stage development and the further developments done in the stages, describing each stage. Another related issue that arises in academic group work is that of evaluation, so we will be reflecting on group work&assessments specifically peer &self assessment. We will then look at benefits and challenges of Group work.
- Aoun, C. (2008)"Peer-Assessment and Learning Outcomes: Product Deficiency or Process Defectiveness?" In the proceedings of The 34th International Association for Educational Assessment (IAEA) Conference, Cambridge University. Retrieved from www.iaea2008.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/ca/.../180447_
- Campbell, J. and Li, M. Massy University, Wellington, New Zealand. Asian Students? Perceptions of Group Work and Group Assignments in a New Zealand Tertiary Institution
- Challenges of Group Work in College | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8203132_challenges-group-work-college.html#ixzz29FUfvES3
- Davis B. G. (1993). Collaborative Learning: Group Work and Study Teams. Tools for Teaching. http://teaching.berkeley.edu/bgd/collaborative.html
- Fiona White, Hilary Lloyd and Jerry Goldfried, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Medicine; Evaluating student perceptions of group work and group assessment .available at http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/2117/1/TransUniWhtie7.pdf
- Bhatia,H.K.,2012, Blended_Learning_&_Peer_Collaboration_in_Teacher_Education_
- James, R., McInnis, C. and Devlin, M. (2002) Assessing Learning in Australian Universities.
- Mark Windschitl, Jessica Thompson, Melissa Bratten, Designing Group Work in Science Classrooms; Designing Group Work .Available at http://tools4teachingscience.org/resources/Resources_pdfs/Designing_Group_Work.pdf
- Ray Martinez,April, Shen-Yi Cheng,Kennon Smith,Matt Smith,Sangil Yoon, Indiana University Instructional Systems Technology (IST) Graduate Student Attitudes Towards Group Work http://www.indiana.edu/~educy520/sec5982/week_15/rmacksmssy.pdf
- Reid, K. E. (1981) 'Formulation of a method, 1920-1936' in From Character Building to Social Treatment. The history of the use of groups in social work, Westport, Connecticut. Available in the informal education archives:http://www.infed.org/archives/e-texts/reid_groupwork_formulation_method.htm. 70
- Richard Raban and Andrew Litchfield, Faculty of Information Technology, University of Technology Sydney, Self and peer assessment in groupwork using TeCTra, Proceedings Ascillite2007 http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/singapore07/procs/raban-poster.pdf
- Sean Harte, 2006,Groups & Group Work, Student Youth Work Online, Retrieved from http://youthworkcentral.tripod.com/sean3.htm
- Sebba J, Crick RD, Yu, G, Lawson H, Harlen W, Durant K (2008) Systematic review of research evidence of the impact on students in secondary schools of self and peer assessment. Technical report. In: Research Evidence in Education Library. London: EPPI-Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London.,
- Smith, Mark K (2008) 'What is a group?', the encyclopaedia of informal education. [www.infed.org/groupwork/what_is_a_group.htm].
- Smith, M. K. (2004) 'Grace Coyle and group work, the encyclopedia of informal education, www.infed.org/thinkers/coyle.htm
- Smith, Mark K. (2008) 'Group work', the encyclopaedia of informal education. [www.infed.org/groupwork/what_is_groupwork.htm].
- Topping, KJ 2005, „Trends in Peer Learning?, Educational Psychology, vol. 25, no. 6, p631-645.
- `18 W. Martin Davies, Groupwork as a form of assessment: common problems and recommended solutions Published online: 20 March 2009_ Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2009
Abstract Views: 111
PDF Views: 0