Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Consumer Involvement Profile Incorporating the Moderating Effects of Brand Loyalty and Brand Trust
The concept of involvement has received much attention in social psychology and, more recently, in marketing to study buyer behavior. In theory, involvement is regarded as a motivating variable with a number of consequences on the consumers' purchase and communication behavior. Unlike a crude single index of involvement, the involvement profiles of consumers demonstrate a clear picture as well as type of involvement in a product category. Involvement could stem from multiple sources and to know the exact nature of consumer involvement it is essential to know the entire profile to assess the relative contribution of each antecedent. The mean involvement profiles are used to provide relevant information to the practicing managers to formulate marketing and communication strategies. The consumer involvement profile, as we have seen in this article, can be used to provide relevant information to the practicing managers to understand the nature of relationship between a target group and a product category. The consumer involvement profile coupled with other relevant demographic as well as psychographic variables may be used as a basis for segmenting the market and developing suitable advertising strategy.
Involvement, Brand Trust, Brand Loyalty, CIP
- Bauer, R.A. (1967): "Consumer Behaviour as Risk Taking", in Risk Taking & information Handling in Consumer Behaviour, D.F. Cox, ed. Boston: Harvard University Press. Division of Research, Graduate School of Business Administration, Harvard University, pp. 23-33.
- Belch, G. E., Belch, M. A., Ceresino, G., 1985. “Parental and Teenage Child Influences in Family Decision Making”. Journal of Business Research 13, 163-76.
- Belch, M. A., Laura A. W., 2002. “Family decision at the turn of the century: Hasthechanging structure of households impacted the family decision-making process?” Journal of Consumer Behaviour 2 (2), 111-24.
- Belch, George E., Michael A. Belch, and Gayle Ceresino. 1985. "Parental and Teenage Child Influences in Family Decision Making." Journal of Business Research 13 (April): 163-176.
- Berry, Lewis A. and R.W.Pollay. 1968. “The Influencing Role of Child in family Decision Making”. Journal of Marketing Research, 5 (February), 70-72).
- Belch, M, Krentler KA, & Willis-Flurry, LA 2005, "Teen Internet Mavens: Influence in Decision Making." Journal of Business Research, 58 (5), pp. 569- 575.
- Belk, RW 1988, “Possessions and the Extended Self,” Journal of Consumer Research, 15(2), pp. 139-168.
- Bhattacharya, D 2000, “Antecedents and Measurement of Consumer Involvement Profiles”, an unpublished dissertation at the University of North Bengal, India.
- Bloch, Peter H 1982. "Involvement beyond the Purchase Process: Conceptual Issues and Empirical Investigation," Advances of Consumer Research, 9, 413-417.
- Bloch, PH 1981, "An Exploration into the Scaling of Consumers' Involvement with a Product Class," in Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 8, Kent B. Monroe, Ann Arbor, MI: Association for Consumer Research, pp. 61-65.
- Blood, R. O., Wolfe, D. M., 1960. “Husbands and Wives: The Dynamics of Married Living”. Free Press, Glencoe, IL.
- Bloom, PN 1981, "What Marketers Need to Know about the Marketing of Professional Services," in J. H. Bonnelly and W. R. George (Eds.), Marketing of Services, pp. 86-87.
- Bravo, R, Fraj, E & Martínez, E 2007, “Intergenerational Influences on the Dimensions of Young Customer-based Brand Equity,” Young Consumers, 8(1), pp. 58-64. Campbell, DT 1960, "Recommendations for APA Test Standards Regarding Construct, Trait and Discriminant Validity", American Psychologist, 15, pp. 546-553.
- Cataluna, FJR, Garcia, AN & Phau, I 2006, "The Influence of Price and Brand Loyalty on Store Brands versus National Brands", International Review of Retail Distribution and Consumer Research, Vol.16 (4), pp. 433-452. Churchill, GA Jr. 1979, "A Paradigm for Developing Better Measures of Marketing Constructs", Journal of Marketing Research, 16 (February), pp. 64-73.
- CerBelch, G., M.A. Belch, and G.Ceresino. 1985. “Parental and Teenage Influence in family Decision-Making”. Journal of Business Research 13 (April), 163-176.
- Cosenza, M. R., Davis, D. L., 1980. “The effect of the wife’s working status on familial dominance structure”. Academy of Marketing Science Journal 8, 73-82.
- Davis H L 1970 “ Dimension of Marital Roles in Consumer Decision Making”, Journal of Marketing Research, vol.VII , 168-77.
- Davis H L 1976: “Decision Making within Household”. Journal of Consumer Research. Vol.1, 241-260.
- Davis, H. L., Rigaux, B. P., 1974. “Perception of Marital Roles in Decision Process”. Journal of Consumer Research 1 (1), 51-62.
- Dobbelsteen, S., Kooreman, P., 1997. “Financial Management, bargaining and efficiency within the household: An Empirical analysis”. De Economist 45 (3), 345-67.
- Dick, AS & Basu, K 1994, "Customer Loyalty Towards an Integrated Conceptual Framework," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 22 (spring), pp. 99-113.
- Freedman, JL 1964, "Involvement Discrepancy and Change", Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 69 (September), pp. 290-95.
- Green, R. T., Cunningham, I. C. M., 1975. Feminine Role Perception and Family Purchasing Decisions. Journal of Marketing Research 12, 325-332. Hempel, D. 1974, “Family buying decisions: A cross-cultural perspective.” Journal of Marketing Research, 11, 295-302.
- Gaski, JF & Etzel, JE, 1986, "The Index of Consumer Sentiment Toward Marketing", Journal of Marketing, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 71-81.
- Houston, MJ & Rothschild, ML 1977, "A Paradigm for Research on Consumer Involvement", Working Paper No. 11-77-46, University of Wisconsin- Madison Jacoby, J. and R.W. Chestnut, 1978 “Brand Loyalty: Measurement and Management”. New York: Wiley.
- Jacoby, J & David, BK 1973, "Brand Loyalty versus Repeat Purchasing," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 10 (February), pp. 1-9. Jacoby, J & Chestnut, R 1978, "Brand Loyalty Measurement and Management," John Wiley and sons, New York.
- Jain, K & Srinivasan, N 1990, "An Empirical Assessment of Multiple .Operationalisations of Involvement", in Goldberg, ME & Pollay, RW (eds.), Advances in Consumer research (Vol. 17, pp. 594-602).
- Provo, VT: Association for Consumer Research. Ruth, J., Commuri, S. R. (1998), "Shifting Roles In Family Decision Making", in Advances in Consumer Research Volume 25, eds. Joseph W. Alba & J. Wesley Hutchinson, Provo, UT : Association for Consumer Research, Pages: 400-406.
- Jain, KS & Sharma, K 2000, "Product Related Antecedents of Consumer Involvement: An Empirical Investigation", Vikalpa, Vol. 25, No.1, January-March, pp. 29-42. Krugman, HE 1967, "The Measurement of Consumer Involvement", Public Opinion Quarterly, 30 (Winter), pp. 583-596. Krugman, HE 1971, "Brain Wave Measures of Media Involvement", Journal of Advertising Research, pp. 3-10.
- Kapoor, S.2001, “Family Influence on Purchase Decisions- A Study with Reference to Consumer Durables”.
- Kaur, P., Singh, R. 2004, “Dynamics of Purchase Decision-making in Families”. South Asian Journal of Management 11 (5), 26-42.
- Kaur, P., Singh, R. 2004, “Dynamics of Purchase Decision-making in Families”. South Asian Journal of Management 11 (5), 26-42
- LaTour M. S, Henthorne T. L and Ford J. B ,1992 “Marital Roles Influence in the Purchase Decision Process: A Study of 100 Beijing Couples”. Asian Journal of Marketing.
- Lee, C. K., Beatty, S. E. 2002, “Family structure and influence in family decision making”. Journal of Consumer Marketing 19 (1), 24-41.
- Lee, C. K., Beatty, S. E. 2002, “Family structure and influence in family decision making”. Journal of Consumer Marketing 19 (1), 24-41. Lastovicka, JL & Gardner, DM 1979, "Components of Involvement", in Attitude Research Plays for High Stakes, Malory, JC & Silverman, B, eds. Chicago: American Marketing Association, pp. 53-73. Laurent ,G & Kepferer, JN 1993, "Further Evidence on the CIP: Five Antecedents of Involvement", Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 10 (14), July-August 1993, pp. 347-355.
- Laurent, G & Kepferer, JN 1985a, "Consumer Involvement Profiles: A New Practical Approaches of Consumer Involvement", Journal of Advertising Research, 6, pp. 48-56.
- Laurent, G & Kepferer, JN 1985b, "Measuring Consumer Involvement Profiles", Journal of Marketing Research, 22, pp. 41-53. Laurent, G & Kapferer, JN 1985b, "Consumer Involvement Profiles: A New Practical Approach of Consumer Involvement", Journal of Advertising Research, 6, pp. 48-56.
- Leclerc, F & Little, JDC 1997, "Can Advertising Copy Make FSI Coupons more Effective?" Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 34 (November), pp. 473-484.
- Mitchell, A. 1979, "Involvement: A Potentially Important Mediator of Consumer Behavior," Advances in Consumer Research, pp - 6 Mitchell, A. 1989, "Involvement: A Potentially Important mediator of Consumer Behaviour," Advances in Consumer Research, 16, 127 – 129
- Mittal A, Vikas P. and Wagner K. 2001, "Satisfaction, Repurchase Intent, and Repurchase Behavior: Investigating the Moderating Effects of Customer Characteristics”. Journal of Marketing Research, 38, 131-142.
- Martin, CL 1998, "Relationship Marketing: A High Involvement Product Attribute Approach," Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 7 (1), pp. 6-26.
- Mittal, B & Lee, MS 1989, "A Causal Model of Consumer Involvement", Journal of Economic Psychology, 10, pp. 362-389.
- Mittal, B 1989, "Measuring Purchase Decision Involvement", Psychology and Marketing, 6 (2), pp. 147-162.
- Mittal, B 1995, "A Comparative Analysis of Four Scales of Consumer Involvement", Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 12(7), pp. 663-82.
- Oliver, RL 1999, "Whence Consumer Loyalty?", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 63 (Special issue), pp. 33-44.
- Peter, PJ 1981, "Construct Validity: A Review of Basic Issues and Practices", Journal of Marketing Research, pp. 133-145.
- Quester, P & Lim, AL 2003, “Product Involvement/brand loyalty: Is there a link?”,Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 12, No.1, 2003, pp. 22-38.
- Sahay, A & Sharma, N, 2010 “Brand Relationships and Switching Behaviour for Highly Used Products in Young Consumers” , Vikalpa • volume 35 • no 1 • January - March.
- Sadasivan, K, Samudhra Rajakumar, C & Syed Zafar, M, 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding, 2011.
- Samudhra Rajakumar & Sritharan 2004, "Brands Building strategies", Innovation in Marketing Management, Edited by Dr. V. Balakrishnan and Dr. C. Samudhra Rajakumar, Excel Books, New Delhi.
- Sheth, JN 1968, "A Factor Model of Brand Loyalty", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 5, pp. 398.
- Sritharan , K.Tamizh Jyothi , C.Samudhra Rajakumar , 2008; “Role of involvement in predicting brand loyalty” Asia-Pacific Business Review , Jan-March.
- Schaninger, C. M., Allen, C. T. 1981, “Wife’s Occupational Status as a Consumer Behavior Construct”. Journal of Consumer Research 8, 189-97.
- Sin, L. Y. M., Yau, O. H. M.,. 2004, “Female Role Orientation of Chinese Women: Conceptualization and Scale Development”. Psychology & Marketing 21(12), 1033-58.
- Simon, K & Walker, D 2003, "Empirical Developments in the Measurement of Involvement, Brand Loyalty and their Relationship in Grocery Markets", Journal of Strategic Marketing, Vol. 11 (December), pp. 271-286.
- Skinner, S. J., Dubinsky, A. J., 1984, “Purchasing Insurance: Predictors of Family Decision-Making Responsibility”. Journal of Risk and Insurance 51 (3), 513-23.
- Laurent, G. & Kepferer, J.N. (1985a): "Measuring Consumer Involvement profiles", Journal of Marketing Research, 22, pp. 41-53.
- Laurent, G. and Kapferer, J.N. (1985b): "Consumer Involvement Profiles: A New Practical Approach of Consumer Involvement", Journal of Advertising Research, 6, pp. 48-56.
- Mittal, B. & Lee, M.S. (1989): "A Casual Model of Consumer Involvement", Journal of EconomicPsychology, 10, pp. 362-389.
- Mittal, B. (1989): "Measuring Purchase Decision Involvement", Psychology and Marketing, 6 (2), pp. 147-162.
- Mittal, B. (1995): "A Comparative Analysis of Four Scales of Consumer Involvement", Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 12 (7), pp. 663-82.
Abstract Views: 270
PDF Views: 52