Open Access Subscription Access
Measuring the Entrepreneurial Intention Among Millennials in Uttarakhand
In a developing country like India, most of the millennials intend to be employees in a company rather than start their own enterprise. The present study aimed at unfolding the reasons behind development of entrepreneurial intention and did not concern with the relation between intention and action. A well-structured questionnaire on a five-point Likert scale has been used for the measurement of entrepreneurial intention. The factors included in the study are attitude towards entrepreneurship, instrumental readiness, locus of control, subjective norms, need for achievement, and perceived support and barriers. The data were analysed with multiple regression. A positive relationship was found with locus of control, subjective norms, and instrumental readiness of various age groups where parent’s occupation is a major hindrance to starting a own venture. The findings will help the government to address the emerging issue of unemployment among millennials. The results of the study will classify the factors which play a significant role in influencing students’ entrepreneurial mindset in the mountainous state of Uttarakhand.
Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial Intention, Intention, Millennials, Uttarakhand.
- Ács, Z. J., Szerb, L., Lafuente, E., & Lloyd, A. (2018). The Global Entrepreneurship Index (GEINDEX). Washington, D.C. doi : 10.1007/978-3-030-03279-1
- Ajzen, I., Driver, B. L. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179–211. Doi : https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Al Mamun, A., Nawi, N. B. C., & Shamsudin, S. F. F. B. (2016). Examining the effects of entrepreneurial competencies on students’ entrepreneurial intention. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 7(2), 119.
- Altinay, L., Madanoglu, M., Daniele, R., & Lashley, C. (2012). The influence of family tradition and psychological traits on entrepreneurial intention. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31(2), 489–499. Doi : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2011.07.007
- Ambad, S. N. A., & Damit, D. H. D. A. (2016). Determinants of entrepreneurial intention among undergraduate students in Malaysia. Procedia Economics and Finance, 37(16), 108–114. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30100-9
- Autio, E., Keeley, R. H., & Klofsten, M., Parker, G., G. C., & Hay, M. (2001). Entrepreneurial intent among students in Scandinavia and in the USA. Enterprise and Innovation Management Studies, 2(2), 145–160. Doi : https://doi.org/10.1080/14632440110094632
- Collins, C. J., Hanges, P. J., & Locke, E. A. (2004). The relationship of achievement motivation to entrepreneurial behavior :Ameta-analysis. Human Performance,17(1),95–11 7 . D o i : https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327043HUP1701_5
- Denanyoh, R., Adjei, K., & Nyemekye, G. E. (2015). Factors that impact on entrepreneurial intention of tertiary students in Ghana. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 5(3), 19–29. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.18533/ijbsr.v5i3.693
- Israr, M., & Saleem, M. (2018). Entrepreneurial intentions among university students in Italy. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 20(8). Doi : https://doi.org/10.1186/s40497-018-0107-5
- Jayalakshmi, P., & Saranya, S. (2015). Entrepreneurial intention among students of arts and science colleges in Chennai - An empirical study. International Journal on Information Sciences and Computing, 9(1), 6–15. Doi : 10.18000/ijisac.50150
- Keat, O. Y., Selvarajah, C. T., & Meyer, D. (2011). Inclination towards entrepreneurship among university students : An empirical study of Malaysian university students. International Journal of Business and Science, 2(4), 206–220.
- Keong., L., C. (2008). Entrepreneurial intention: An empirical study among open university Malaysia students. http://library.oum.edu.my/oumlib/content/catalog/595178
- Kirby, D. A. (2004). Entrepreneurship education: Can business schools meet the challenge? Education + Training, 46(8/9), 510–519. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1500894
- Koe, W., Sa’ari, J. R, Majid, I. A., & Ismail, K. (2012). Determinants of entrepreneurial intention among millennial generation. Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences,40,197–20 8 . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.03.181
- Kristiansen, S., & Indarti, N. (2004). Entrepreneurial intention among Indonesian and Norwegian students. Journal of Enterprising Culture, 12(1), 55–78. Doi : 10.1142/S021849580400004X
- Krueger, J. N. F., & Carsrud, A. L. (1993). An international entrepreneurial intentions: Applying the theory of planned behaviour. Entrepresneurship & Regional Development, 5, 315–330. Doi : https://doi.org/10.1080/08985629300000020
- Krueger, N. F., Reilly, M. D., & Carsrud, A. L. (2000). Competing models of entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of Business Venturing, 15(5-6), 411–432. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(98)00033-0
- Kuratko, D. F. (2005). Education and challenges introduction: A perspective on entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 29(5), 577–597.
- Küttim, M., Kallaste, M., Venesaar, U., & Kiis, A. (2014). Entrepreneurship education at university level and students’ entrepreneurial intentions. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 110, 658–668. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.12.910
- Lee, J. (1996). The motivation of women entrepreneurs in Singapore. Women in Management Review, 11(2), 18–29. Doi : https://doi.org/10.1108/09649429610112574
- Liñán, F., & Chen, Y. (2009). Development and cross-cultural application of a specific instrument to measure entrepreneurial intentions. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3), 593–617. http://institucional.us.es/vie/documentos/resultados/LinanChen2009.pdf
- Mamun, A. A, Binti, N., Nawi, C., Mohiuddin, M., Fazira, F., Shamsudin, B., & Fazal, S. A. (2017). Entrepreneurial intention and startup preparation : A study among business students in Malaysia. Journal of Education for Business, 92(6), 296–314. https://doi.org/10.1080/08832323.2017.1365682
- Mazzarol, T., Volery, T., Doss, N., & Thein, H. H. (1999). Factors influencing small business start-ups: A comparison with previous research. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 5(2), 48–63. Doi : 10.1108/13552559910274499
- Molaei, R., Zali, M. R., Mobaraki, M. H., & Farsi, J. Y. (2014). The impact of entrepreneurial ideas and cognitive style on students entrepreneurial intention. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies, 6(2), 140–162. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEEE-09-2013-0021
- Nabi, G., Holden, R., & Walmsley, A. (2010). Entrepreneurial intentions among students: Towards a re-focused research agenda. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 17(4), 537–551. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/14626001011088714
- Nazri, M. A., Aroosha, H.,, & Omar, N. A. (2016). Examination of factors affecting youths’ entrepreneurial intention: A cross-sectional study. Information Management and Business Review, 8(5), 14–24. doi: 10.22610/imbr.v8i5.1456.g1333
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978). Psychometric theory. Jamaica.
- Peterman, N. E. (2003). Enterprise education : Influencing students. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 28(2), 129–144.
- Pickernell, D., Packham, G., Jones, P., Miller, C., & Thomas, B. (2011). Graduate entrepreneurs are different: They access more resources? International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 17(2), 183–202. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551111114932
- Pretheeba, P. (2018). Entrepreneurial intentions among students in India.
- Shapero, A., & Sokol, L. (1982). The social dimension of entrepreneurship. In Kent C.A., D. L. Sexton, K.H. Vesper (eds.). Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurship, Englewoods Cliff. NJ: Prentice Hall, 72–90 p.
- Terpstra, D. E., Rozell, E. J., & Robinson, R. K. (1993). The influence of personality and demographic variables on ethical decisions related to insider trading. The Journal of Psychology, 127(4), 375–389. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1993.9915573
- Thompson, E. R. (2009). Entrepreneurial intent and development reliable metric. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3), 669–695.
- Turker, D., & Selcuk, S. S. (2009). Which factors affect entrepreneurial intention of university students? Journal of European Industrial Training, 33(2), 142–159. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090590910939049
- Yildirim, N., Çakir, Ö., & Askun, O. B. (2016). Ready to dare ? A case study on the entrepreneurial intentions of business and engineering students in Turkey. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 229, 277–288. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.07.138
Abstract Views: 13
PDF Views: 2