Jagruti : Suvendu Sekhar Mahapatra Electronics and Telecommunication to Solid Waste Management
How an electronics and telecommunication engineer became an entrepreneur and managed the municipal solid waste (MSW) system of a smart city ? MSW management is a labour intensive job which involves ridiculous work hours, and is subjected to immense pressures from citizens and many other stakeholders. The dimensions involved are varied and unique - managing illiterate or semi-literate workforce, scheduling different zones to ensure the completion of work in time, effective monitoring of the work, operating within the cost constraints, and managing the cumbersome bureaucratic process of the government. How many novice entrepreneurs would like to get into such a sector?
This case study presents the sequence of events, dynamics, and challenges of an entrepreneur in this sector. It also briefly discusses various aspects of managing MSW. The case study supporting resources are given to facilitate case discussion with the participants.
- Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation. (n.d.). Swachh Bhubaneswar Abhiyaan. Retrieved May 29, 2020 from https://www.bmc.gov.in/programs/swachh-bhubaneswar-abhiyaan
- Effectuation.org. (2011).What is effectuation ?https://www.effectuation.org/sites/default/files/documents/effectuation-3-pager.pdf
- Hoornweg, D., & Bhada-Tata, P. (2012). What a waste : A global review of solid waste management. Urban development series, knowledge paper no. 15. World Bank, Washington, DC. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/17388
- Kar, B. (2015). Karmic cycle: The context, and an entrepreneurial journey. Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management Journal, 3(2), 90–103. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2604807
- Kar, B., Pathak, M. D., & Panda, M. C. (2018). Experiential and persistent entrepreneur : Deepak Jain From Subtlelabs. AMC Indian Journal of Entrepreneurship , 1 ( 4 ) , 7 – 1 5 . https://doi.org/10.17010/AMCIJE/2018/V1I4/141217
- Kar, B., & Patra, P. K. (2017). Partners in crime: The risk in entrepreneurship. Parikalpana : KIIT Journal of Management, 13(1), 126–136. doi : 10.23862/kiit-parikalpana/2017/v13/i1/151283
- Kumar, S., Bhattacharyya, J. K., Vaidya, A. N., Chakrabarti, T., Devotta, S., & Akolkar, A. B. (2009). Assessment of the status of municipal solid waste management in metro cities, state capitals, class I cities, and class II towns in India: An insight. Waste Management,29(2),883–895. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.04.011
- Mohanty, C. R., Mishra, U., & Beuria, P. R. (2014). Municipal solid waste management in Bhubaneswar, India - A review. International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology, 3(3), 303–312. https://www.ijltet.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/50.pdf
- Patnaik, L. (2018, May 25). Over-budget burden on waste project. The Telegraph. https://www.telegraphindia.com/states/odisha/over-budget-burden-on-waste-project/cid/1415318
- Sarasvathy,S.D.(n.d.).What makes entrepreneurs entrepreneurial? https://www.effectuation.org/sites/default/files/research_papers/what-makes-entrepreneursentrepreneurial-sarasvathy_0.pdf
- Subudhi, R. N., Kar, B., & Nayak, A. P. (2017). Red ocean, efficacy and entrepreneurial spirit: Case-study of AstangAyurved Chyavanpras, Bhubaneswar. Amity Journal of Entrepreneurship, 2(2), 37–49.
- Swachh Bharat - Swachh Bharat Abhiyan a nation-wide campaign in India. (n.d.). https://swachhbharat.mygov.in/
Abstract Views: 15
PDF Views: 4