Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Phytochemical Study and In Vitro Propagation of Patakpura, A Native Musa Variety of Odisha
The presented experiments were carried out to evaluate the phytochemicals present in a Musa variety Patakpura, which is native to the coastal areas of Odisha state. Experiments were also conducted to study the effects of phytohormones such as cytokinin (BAP) and auxins (IAA) during its in vitro micropropagation. It was marked that the fruit peel, sap and stem extracts contains high phenolic and flavonoid compounds. The presence of phenolic content in high quantity caused lethal browning of explants during propagation of Patakpura. During in vitro culture it was observed that media containing high concentration of BAP (6 mg/L) had better respond in initial culture while low concentration of BAP (3 mg/L) had high bud formation in multiplication stage. Patakpura explants grown on multiplication medium supplied with 3 mg/l BAP + 0.5 mg/L IAA had highest numbers of shoot buds. In rooting culture the media containing 1.5 mg/L IAA found to be more effective in root induction.
Musa,In vitro, Phytochemical, Phytohormones, Micropropagation, Patakpura
- Ali, A., Sajid, A., Naveed, N.H., Majid, A., Saleem, A., Khan, U.A., Jafery, F.I. and Naz, S. (2011). Initiation, proliferation and development of micro-propagation system for mass scale production of banana through meristem culture. African J. Biotechnol., 10 : 15731-15738.
- Buah, J.N., Danso, E., Taah, K.J., Abole, E.A., Bediako, E.A., Asiedu, J. and Baidoo, R. (2010). The effects of different concentrations cytokinins on the in vitro Multiplication of plantain (Musa sp.). Biotechnol., 9(3):343-347.
- Buising, C.M., Shoemaker, R.C. and Benbow, R.M. (1994). Early events of multiple bud formation and shoot development in soybean embryonic axes treated with the cytokinin, 6Benzylaminopurine. American J. Botany, 81 : 1435-1448.
- Chun, O.K., Kim, D.O., Moon, H.Y., Kang, H.G. and Lee, C.Y. (2003). Contribution of individual polyphenolics to total antioxidant capacity of plums. J. Agric. Food Chem., 51 : 7240-7245.
- Devendrakumar, D., Anbazhagan, M. and Rajendran, R. (2013). Effect of benzyl amino purine (BAP) concentration on in vitro shoot proliferation of Banana (Musa spp.). Internat. J. Res. Biotechnol. & Biochemistry, 3(3):31-32.
- Farahani, F., Aminpoor, H., Sheidai, M., Noormohammadi, Z. and Mazinani, M.H. (2008). An improved system for in vitro propagation of banana (Musa acuminate L.) cultivars. Asian J. Plant Sci., 7(1):116 – 118.
- Hollman, P.C. (2001). Evidence for health benefits of plant phenols: Local or systemic effects. J. Sci. Food & Agric., 81 : 842-852.
- Kumar, A., Sharma, B.C. and Kumar, J. (2012). Integrated weedmanagement in gladiolus. Indian J. Weed Sci., 3: 181-182 Madhulatha, P., Anbalagan, M., Jayachandran, S. and Sakthivel, N. (2004). Influence of liquid pulse treatment with growth regulators on in vitro propagation of banana (Musa spp. AAA). Plant Cell Tissue & Organ Culture, 76 : 189-192.
- Mohapatra, N. and Deo, B. (2019). Substitution of BAP with meta-Topolin (m-T) in multiplication culture of Musa species. Plant Sci. Res., 41 (1&2): 8-11.
- Murashige, T. and Skoog, F. (1962). A revised medium for rapid growth and bio-assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum, 15 : 473-497.
- Navarro, C., Escobedo, R.M. and Mayo, A. (1997). In vitro plant regeneration from embryogenic cultures of a diploid and a triploid, Cavendish banana. Plant Cell, Tissue & Organ Culture, 51 : 17–25.
- Ngomuo, M., Mneney, E. and Ndakidemi, P.A. (2014). The in vitro propagation techniques for producing banana using shoot tip cultures. American J. Plant Sci., 5 : 1614-1622.
- Ogbonna Obiageli, A., Izundu, A.I., Okoye Nkechi Helen and IkeyiAdachukwu, Pauline (2012). Phytochemical compositions of fruits of three Musa Species at three stages of development. IOSR J. Pharmacy & Biological Sci., 11(3, Ver. IV) : 48-59.
- Rahman, M.Z., Sharoar, M.G., Matin, M.N., Rahman, M.H., Rahman, M.M. and Islam, M.R. (2006). High frequency plant regeneration of a dessert banana cv. mehersagar for commercial exploitation. Biotechnol., 5 : 296-300.
- Stintzing, F.C., Stintzing, A.S., Carle, R., Frei, B. and Wrolstad, R.E. (2002). Color and antioxidant properties of cyanidinbased anthocyanin pigments. J. Agric. & Food Chem., 50 : 6172-6181.
- Strosse, H., Schoofs, H., Panis, B., Andre, E., Reyniers, K. and Swennen, R. (2006). Development of embryogenic cell suspensions from shoot meristematic tissue in bananas and plantains (Musa spp.). Plant Sci., 170 : 104–112.
- Velumani, S. (2016). Phytochemical screening and antioxidant activity of banana peel. IJARIIE, 2(1) : 91-102.
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 0