Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Cluster Based Performance Analysis of Pet Scan Image for Alzheimer's Disease
Imaging plays a central role in the diagnosis and treatment planning of brain neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson and more. Currently, Positron Emission Tomography (PET) is an important tool to identify the functional activities of brain metabolism. An accurate segmentation is critical, especially when the brain functional changes are difficult to assess by clinical examination. Basically, in clinical environment segmentation is done by manually. However, segmentation in PET brain images has many challenges with regards to characteristics of an image, which is solved by preprocessing step. Here, segmentation is performed using the process of clustering. Clustering means the homogeneous intensity particles are grouped together. The intensity value is compared with threshold value. This paper presents a cluster based performance analysis of PET scan image for Alzheimer's disease. Here, Euclidean distance and Chebyshev distance measure is compared to identify the suitable K value for clustering. It has demonstrated its effectiveness by testing it for real world patient data sets. The experiment was compiled in MATLAB environment and an experimental result supports the comparative study.
Distance Measure, Euclidean Distance, Chebyshev Distance, Clustering, Pet Image, Alzheimer’s Disease
- Koon-Pong Wong, Dagan Geng, Steven R.Meikle, Michael J.Fulham “Segmentation of Dynamic PET Images Using cluster analysis” IEEE Transactions on nuclear science, Vol. 49, pp.200-207, 2002.
- Comparison of three image segmentation techniques for target volume delineation in positron emission tomography, Laura Drever, Wilson Roa, Alexander McEwan, and Don Robinson , Journal of applied clinical medical physics, Vol 8, No 2, 2007.
- Meena A, Raja K , “K-Means Segmentation of Alzheimer’s Disease In Pet Scan Datasets – An Implementation” International Conference on Advances in Signal Processing and Information Technology, Springer, Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering - LNICST, ISSN:1867-8211 pp. 158–162, 2012 Cluster Based Performance Analysis of Pet Scan Image for Alzheimer’s Disease 87.
- Habib et. al “Comparative methods for PET image segmentation in pharyngolaryngeal squamous cell carcinoma” Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2012 May; 39(5): 881–891.
- P. Vasuda, “Improved Fuzzy C-Means Algorithm for MR Brain Image Segmentation et. al. / (IJCSE) International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering, Vol. 02, No. 05, 1713-1715, 2010.
- Koon-Pong Wong, “Functional Segmentation of Dynamic Emission Tomographic Images” Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology, Vol. 2.2000.
- Huiting Qiao “The study of PET image segmentation using clustering algorithm”, IFMBE Proceedings, vol. 39,1836–1839, 2013,
- Jaskirat Kaur, “ A Methodology for the Performance Analysis of Cluster Based Image Segmentation” International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp.664-667, 2012.
- Gang Qian, Shamik Sural and Sakti Pramanik, “ A Comparative Analysis of Two Distance Measures in Color image databases”.
- Sung-Hyuk Cha, “Comprehensive Survey on Distance/Similarity Measures between Probability Density Functions” International Journal of Mathematical models and methods in applied sciences, Issue 4, Volume 1, 2007.
- Peter Grabusts “ The choice of metrics for clustering algorithms” Proceedings of the 8th International Scientific and Practical Conference. Volume I1, 2011.
Abstract Views: 526
PDF Views: 2