Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Face Expression Recognition Using Combination of Principal Component Analysis and Euclidean Distance Based Techniques
Face expressions convey or portray nonverbal cues which play important role in interpersonal relations for humans. Humans recognize faces and expressions without delay and without much effort but making computers intelligent enough to understand the expressions is still a challenge. The use of face expression recognition and face detection is immense and limitless in behavioral science and in clinical practice. In this paper an effective and efficient algorithm has been proposed which uses the principal components of the face and compares the eigenvalues of the principal components selected .The best match of the input image gives the best face expression matched.
- A. Mehrabian, “Communication without words”, Psychology today, vol.2, no. 4, pp. 53-56, September 1968.
- H. A. Elfenbein, A. A. Marsh, and N. Ambady, “Emotional Intelligence and the Recognition of Emotion from Facial Expressions” in The Wisdom of Feelings: Processes Underlying Emotional Intelligence.
- P. Ekman, E. R. Sorenson, and W. V. Friesen, “Pan cultural elements in Facial displays of emotion” Science, New Series, vol. 164, no. 3875, pp.86-88, April 4,1969
- P. Ekman and W.V. Friesen, “Manual for the Facial Action CodingSystem,” Consulting Psychologists Press, 1977.
- Y. Gao, M. K. H. Leung, S. C. Hui, and M. W. Tananda, “Facial Expression Recognition from Line-Based Caricatures” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics-Part A: Systems and Humans, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 407-411, May 2003.
- S. M. Lajevardi and H. R. Wu, “Facial Expression Recognition in Perceptual Color Space” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol.21, no. 8, pp. 3721-3732, August 2012.
- M. Rosenblum, Y. Yacoob, and L. S. Davis, “Human expression recognition from motion using a radial basis function network architecture,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 7, pp. 1121–1138, Sept. 1996.
- L. Ma and K. Khorasani, “Facial Expression Recognition Using ConstructiveFeedforward Neural Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics—Part B: Cybernetics, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 1588-1595, June 2004
- P. S. Aleksic and A. K. Katsaggelos, “Automatic Facial Expression Recognition Using Facial Animation Parameters and Multistream HMMs”, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3-1, March 2006.
- H. Huang and H. He, “Super-Resolution Method for Face Recognition Using Nonlinear Mappings on Coherent Features”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 121-130, January 2011.
- M. Turk and A. Pentland, “Eigenfaces for recognition,” Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, vol.13, no. 1, pp. 71-86, 1991.
- G. R. S. Murthy and R. S. Jadon, “Effectiveness of Eigenspaces for Facial Expressions Recognition” International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 638-642, December 2009.
- R. Zhi, M. Flierl, Q. Ruan, and W. B. Kleijn, “Graph-Preserving Sparse Nonnegative Matrix Factorization with Application to Facial Expression Recognition”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics—Part B: Cybernetics, vol.41, no. 1 pp. 38-52, February 2011.
- K. Mase and A. Pentland, “Recognition of facial expression from optical flow,” IEICE Trans. E, vol. 74, pp. 408–410, 1991.
- I. Essa and A. Pentland, “Coding, analysis, interpretation, and recognition of facial expressions,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 757–763, Jul. 1997.
- K. Anderson and P. W. McOwan, “A Real-Time Automated System for the Recognition of Human Facial Expressions” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics—Part B: Cybernetics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 96-105, February 2006.
- S. Zafeiriou and I. Pitas, “Discriminant Graph Structures for Facial Expression Recognition”, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1528-1540, December 2008.
- S. Wang, Z. Liu, S. Lv, Y. Lv, G. Wu, P. Peng, F. Chen, and X.
Abstract Views: 434
PDF Views: 2