Open Access Subscription Access
An Investigation of the Relation Between Self-Esteem, Indirect Strategy Use and Iranian Intermediate EFL Learners' Oral Language Proficiency
The main purpose of the present study was to empirically investigate the possible relationship between Iranian intermediate EFL learners' self-esteem, their use of indirect strategies (meta-cognitive, affective and social), and their foreign oral language proficiency. From among 136 EFL learners who were studying English in two language institutes in Anzali- Iran, 30 intermediate students whose scores were 31+ in grammar and vocabulary and 8+ in reading section of the OPT test( oxford solution,2005)were selected as the main sample for the present study. Oxford' strategy inventory including 21 items for the indirect strategies along with Sorenson self-esteem test were administered to the main participants of the study. Besides, an oral language test (TOEIC test) was administered to assess the participants' oral language proficiency. The non-parametric test of chi- square along with measures of association namely Eta and Spearman Rank Order Correlation test were run to the data gathered through the questionnaires and the oral test. The findings revealed statistically significant relationship between Iranian intermediate EFL learners' self-esteem, their use of indirect strategies, and oral language proficiency. The findings of the study may have some pedagogical implications for foreign language teachers, course designers, parents, and learners.
Self-Esteem Indirect Strategies, Foreign Oral Language Proficiency.
- Choi, N. (2005). Self-efficacy and self-concept as predictors of college students' academic performance. Psychology in the Schools, 42. 2.197-205.
- Erikson, E. H. (1963). Childhood and society (2nd Ed.). New York: Norton.
- Gonzalez-Pienda, J.A., Nunez, J.C., Gonzalez-Pumariega, S. A. (2000). Autoconcepto, procesodeatribucioncausal y metsacademicas en ninos con y sin dificultadesdeaprendizaje. [Self-concept, causal attribution process and academic goals in children with and without learning disability].Psicothema, 12(4), 548-556.
- Griffiths, C. (2004). Language learning strategies: Theory and research. (Occasional Paper No. 1). School of Foundations Studies, Auckland Institute of Studies at St Helens, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Ha, N. T. T. (2008). Learner strategies and language learning. VNU Journal of Science, Foreign Languages, 24, 240-245.
- Hayati, M., & Ostadian, M. (2008). The Relationship between Self-esteem and Listening Comprehension of EFL Students.http//bibliotecavirtualut.suagm.edu/Glossa2/Journal/Jun2008/ .
- Heyde, A. (1979). The relationship between self-esteem and the oral production of second Language. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The University of Michigan, USA.
- Huitt, W. (2004). Self-concept and self-esteem. Educational Psychology Interactive. Retrieved from http://chiron.valdosta.edu/whuitt/col/regsys/self.html.
- Khajavi, Y. (2013). Enhancing low-achieving language learners' performance: techniques and strategies. English Australia Journal.
- Kamarzarrin, H. (1994). A study of self-esteem third grade students of governmental and private high schools of Dezful. Unpublished M.A thesis, College of Educational Science, Shiraz University, Iran.
- Lee, C. K. (2010). An overview of language learning strategies. ARECLS, 7, 132-152.
- Marsh, H. W., Relich, J. D., & Smith, I.D. (1983). Self-concept: The construct validity of interpretations based upon the SDQ, Journal of Personality and social psychology, 45(1), 173-187.
- Miyagawa, L. (2010). What is the difference between self-esteem and self-confidence?
- Oxford, R. L. (1990). Language learning strategies: What every teacher should know. Boston: Heinle&Heinle.
- Pramita, G. A. P. (2012). The contribution of self-esteem and language learning strategies to the students' English proficiency for second year students of SMA Negeri 7 Denpasar. Journal penelitian, 1, 1, 10-13.
- Rubio, F., (2007). Self-Esteem and Foreign Language Learning. Cambridge scholars Publishing: Cambridge.
- Saleh, S. A. M. (2013). Language learning strategies for classroom application. Retrieved from Http://www.abqar.com.
- Stern, H.H. (1983). Fundamental concepts of language teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Stern, D. N. (1995). Self/other differentiation in the domain of intimate socio-Affective interaction: Some considerations. In P. Rochat (Ed.), The self in infancy: Theory and research (pp. 419-429). Amsterdam: North Holland Elsevier.
- Su, M. M. (2005). A study of EFL technological and vocational college students' language learning strategies and their self-perceived English proficiency. Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 2, 1, 44-56.
- Su, M. H., & Duo, P. CH. (2012). EFL learners' language learning strategy use and perceived self-efficacy. European Journal of Social Sciences, 3, 335-345.
- Tracey, D. (2006). Self-Esteem and Children's Learning Problems. Retrieved from http://www.learninglinks.org.au.
- Young, E. L., & Hoffmann, L. L., (2005). Self-esteem in children: strategies for parents and educators. National association of school psychologist, 1, 2 55-87.
Abstract Views: 250
PDF Views: 67