Open Access Subscription Access
Influence of Differentiated Instruction Workshop on Taiwanese Elementary School English Teachers' Activity Design
This study discusses the influence of a differentiated instruction workshop on thirteen Taiwanese elementary school English teachers' activity designs in English lesson plans. Theoretical concepts, lesson demonstration, and hands-on activities on differentiating instruction were provided in the workshops. These English teachers demonstrated the competence and skills in differentiated instruction by designing choices for class activities or homework. However, these English teachers lacked the competence in designing activities for deeper learning objectives, designing diverse instructional strategies or activities, and using simple English to explain the choices.
Activity Design, Choice, Competence, Differentiated Instruction, Level, Workshop.
- Affholder, L. P. (2003). Differentiated instruction in inclusive elementary classrooms. (Unpublished master's thesis), University of Kansas, Kansas.
- Ben Ari, R. & Shafir, D. (1988). Social integration in elementary school. Ramat-Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, Institute for the Advancement of Social Integration in the Schools.
- Benjamin, A. (2002). Differentiated instruction: A guide for middle & high school teachers. Larchmont, New York: Eye on Education, Inc.
- Bequary, C. B. (2012). Key experiences, change in mental models, and teachers' development of proficiency in differentiated instruction. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), University of Connecticut.
- Blozowich, D. G. (2001). Differentiated instruction in heterogeneously grouped sixth grade classrooms. (Unpublished master's thesis), Immaculata College.
- Carolan, J. & Guinn, A. (2007). Differentiation: Lessons from master teachers. Educational Leadership64. 8, 44-47.
- Chan, Y. J. (2008). Incorporating literature circle in a sixth-grade English class in Taiwan. (Unpublished master's thesis), Ming Chuan University, Taiwan.
- Chapman, C. & King, R. (2005). Differentiated assessment strategies: One tool doesn't fit it all. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Chapman, C. & King, R. (2008). Differentiated instructional management: Work smarter, not harder. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Chien, C. W. (2013). Using Raphael's QARs as differentiated instruction on picture books among young learners of English as a foreign language. English Teaching Forum51. 3, 20-27.
- Chiu, L. F. (2008). Using predictable books to teach writing in an English as a foreign language setting. Journal of Taiwan Normal University-Education53. 2, 27-58.
- Corley, M. A. (2005). Differentiated instruction: Adjusting to the needs of all learners. Focus on the Basic7.C, 19-23.
- Cusumano, C. & Mueller J. (2007). How differentiated instruction helps struggling students. Leadership36. 4, 8-10.
- Eun, B. (2006). The impact of English as second language professional development program: A social cognitive approach. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), University of North Carolina, North Carolina.
- Frieberg, H. (2002). Essential skills for new teachers. Educational Leadership59.6, 56-60.
- Gibson, L. (2013), Differentiated instruction and students with learning disabilities. In J. P. Bakken, F. E. Obiakor, & A. F. Rotatori (eds.) Learning Disabilities: Identification, Assessment, and Instruction of Students with LD (Advances in Special Education, Volume 24). Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 161-183.
- Greenwood, C. R., Kamps, D., Terry, B. & Linebarger, D. (2007). Primary intervention: A means of preventing special education? In C. Haager, J. Klingner & S. Vaughn, (eds.). Validated reading practices for three tiers of intervention. New York: Brookes, 73-106.
- Hall, T. (2009). Differentiated instruction and implications for UDL implementation. http://www.cast.org/system/galleries/download/ncac/DI_UDL.pdf (accessed 2/2/2015).
- Haynes, K. L. (2011). Effects of professional development on using differentiated instruction with gifted and talented students in the library media center. (Unpublished master's thesis), Western Kentucky University.
- Hines, M. T. (2012). Preservice middle school teachers' concerns about differentiated instruction with African American students: The intersection of race and teacher self-efficiency in review. National Forum of Multicultural Issues Journal9. 1, 1-21.
- Hobson, M. L. (2008). An analysis of differentiation strategies used by middle school teachers in heterogeneously grouped classrooms. (Unpublished master's thesis), University of North Carolina.
- Holloway, J. H. (2000). Preparing teachers for differentiated instruction. Educational Leadership58.1, 82-83.
- Hsu, H. W. (2009). Helping less proficient children in multi-level classrooms: A study of teaching English to young learner teachers' strategies used. In K. Al-Thubaiti, C. Batterham, K. Chatsiou, L. Papadopoulou & K. Yoshimoto (Hsu, H. W. (2009). Helping less proficient children in multi-level classrooms: A study of teaching English to young learner teachers' strategies used. In K. Al-Thubaiti, C. Batterham, K. Chatsiou, L. Papadopoulou & K. Yoshimoto (eds.) Language at the University of Essex (LangUE) 2008 proceeding. Colchester, UK: Department of Language and Linguistics, University of Essex, 52-66
- Joyce, B., Weil, M. & Calhoun, E. (2000). Models of teaching (6th ed.). Needman Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Kirkey, T. L. (2005). Differentiated instruction and enrichment opportunities: An action research report. http://oar.nipissingu.ca/PDFS/V833E.pdf (accessed 7/9/2014).
- Liu, Y. F. (2008). Differentiated instruction in flexible grouping in EFL classroom. Journal of Taipei Municipal University of Education. Journal of Taipei Municipal University of Education39.1, 97-122.
- Logan, B. (2011). Examining differentiated instruction: Teachers respond. Research in Higher Education Journal13, 1-14.
- McGarvey, B., Marriot, S., Morgan, V. & Abbott, L. (1997). Planning for differentiation. Curriculum Studies29. 3, 351-363.
- McNaughton, D., Hall, T. E. & Maccini, P. (2001). Case-based instruction in special education preparation: Practices and concerns of teacher educators/researchers. Teacher Education and Special Education24.2, 84-94.
- McAdamis, S. (2001). Teachers tailor their instruction to meet a variety of student needs. Journal of Staff Development22. 2, 1-5.
- McQuarrie, L. M. & McBae, P. (2010). A provincial perspective on differentiated instruction: The Alberta Initiative for school improvement. Journal of Applied Research on Learning3. 4, 1-18.
- Ministry of Education (2001). Guidelines on English teaching activity designs and assessments in elementary and junior high school. Taipei, Taiwan: Ministry of Education.
- Ministry of Education. (2005). Guidelines on English teaching activity designs and assessments in elementary and junior High school. Taipei, Taiwan: Ministry of Education.
- National Reading Technical Assistance Center (NRTAC). (2010). What positive effect does differentiated instruction have on student success? Retrieved from http://www.dpi.state.nd.us/title1/initiative/diffinstruction.pdf (accessed 7/9/2014).
- Nazzal, A. (2011). Differentiation in practice: An exploration of first year teacher implementation of differentiation strategies as expected outcomes of teacher preparation program. Current Issues in Middle Level Education16. 1, 17-27.
- Olivia, P. F. & Pawlas, G. E. (2001). Supervision for today's schools (6th Ed). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Pettig, K. (2000). On the road to differentiated practice. Educational LeadershipPettig, K. (2000). On the road to differentiated practice. Educational Leadership58.1, 14-18.
- Richards, J. C. (2011). Competence and performance in language teaching. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Rock, M. L., Gregg, M., Ellis, E. & Gable, R. A. (2008). Reach: a framework for differentiating classroom instruction. Preventing School Failure52. 2, 31-47.
- Rodrigue, A. (2012). An analysis of elementary school teachers' knowledge and use of differentiated instruction. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), Olivet Nazarene University.
- Santamaria, L. J. & Thousand, J. S. (2004). Collaboration, co-teaching, and differentiated instruction: A process-oriented approach to whole schooling. International Journal of Whole Schooling1.1, 13-27.
- Scott, W. & Spence, F. (2006). Professional development for inclusive differentiated teaching practice. Australia journal of Learning Disabilities11. 1, 35-44.
- Strickland, C. (2009). Professional development for differentiating instruction: An ASCD action tool. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Subban, P. (2006). Differentiated instruction: A research basis. International Education Journal7.7, 935-947.
- Thousand, J., Villa, R. & Nevin, A. (2007). Differentiating instruction: collaborative planning and teaching for universally designed learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Tileston, D. W. (2004). What every teacher should know about diverse students. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Tomlinson, C. A., Brighton, C., Hertberg, H., Callahan, C. M., Moon, T. & Brimijoin K., Conover, L.A. & Reynolds, T. (2003). Differentiating instruction in response to student readiness, interest, and learning profile in academically diverse classrooms: A review of the literature. Journal for the Education of the Gifted 27. 2/3, 119-45.
- Tomlinson, C. A. & Kalbfleisch, M. L. (1998). Teach me, teach my brain: A call for differentiated classrooms. Eduhip56.3, 52-55.
- Tobin, R. & Tippett, C. D. (2013). Possibilities and potential barriers: Learning to plan differentiated instruction in elementary science. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. DOI: 10.1007/s10763-013-9414-z
- Tomlinson, C. (1995). Deciding to differentiate instruction in middle school: One school's journey. Gifted Child Quarterly39.2, 77-87.
- Tomlinson. C. A. (1999). The differentiated classroom: Responding to the needs of all learners. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Whippple, K. A. (2012). Differentiated instruction: A survey study of teacher understanding and implementation in a southeast Massachusetts school district. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), Northeastern University.
- Wilson, S. M. & Berne, J. (1999). Teacher learning and the acquisition of professional knowledge: An examination of research on contemporary professional development. Review of Research in Education24.1, 173-209.
Abstract Views: 321
PDF Views: 77