Open Access Subscription Access
Iranian EFL Students' Listening Comprehension Problems
English as a Foreign Language (EFL) listening skill is considered a problematic skill particularly in a foreign language context where practice opportunities are limited. This study aimed to explore the listening comprehension problems of a group of EFL learners. Survey method was followed to collect data from a group of Iranian tertiary level EFL learners (n = 100) using the Listening Comprehension Processing Problems Questionnaire. The results indicated that the learners experienced moderate to high levels of difficulty in all three categories of listening comprehension problems, namely perception, parsing, and utilization. The findings are expected to have useful implications for syllabus designers and teachers who intend to address the listening comprehension problems of EFL learners.
EFL Language Teaching and Learning, Listening Skills, Listening Problems.
- Adolphs, S., & Schmitt, N. (2003). Lexical coverage of spoken discourse. Applied Linguistics, 24(4), 425-438.
- Anderson, J. R. (1995). Cognitive psychology and its implications (4th ed.). New York: Freeman.
- Babbie, E. (2007). The practice of social research. Belmont, CA: Thompson Wadsworth, USA.
- Bonk, W. J. (2000). Second language lexical knowledge and listening comprehension. International journal of listening, 14(1), 14-31.
- Broersma, M. & Cutler A. (2008). Phantom word activation in L2. System, 36(1), 22-34.
- Brown, H. D. (2001). Teaching by principles: An integrative approach to language pedagogy (2nd ed.). White Plains, NY: Pearson Education.
- Creswell, J. W. (2008). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (3rd ed.). NJ: Pearson Education International.
- Cross, J. (2009a). Effects of listening strategy instruction on news video text comprehension. Language Teaching Research, 13(2), 151-176.
- Cross, J. (2009b). Diagnosing the process, text, and intrusion problems responsible for L2 listeners' decoding errors. Asian EFL Journal, 11(2), 31-53.
- Field, J. (2003). Promoting perception: lexical segmentation in L2 listening. ELT journal, 57(4), 325-334.
- Field, J. (2004). An insight into listeners' problems: Too much bottom-up or too much top-down? System, 32(3), 363-377.
- Field, J. (2008a). Emergent and divergent: A view of second language listening research. System, 36(1), 2-9.
- Field, J. (2008b). Revising segmentation hypotheses in first and second language listening. System, 36(1), 35-51.
- Flowerdew, J., & Miller, L. (1992). Student perceptions, problems and strategies in second language lecture comprehension. RELC journal, 23(2), 60-80.
- Goh, C. C. M. (1999). How much do learners know about the factors that influence their listening comprehension? Hong Kong Journal of Applied Linguistics, 4(1), 17-41.
- Goh, C. C. M. (2000). A cognitive perspective on language learners' listening comprehension problems. System, 28(1), 55-75.
- Graham, S. (2006). Listening comprehension: The learners' perspective. System, 34(2), 165-182.
- Graham, S. & Macaro, E. (2008). Strategy instruction in listening for lower-intermediate learners of French. Language Learning, 58(4), 747-783.
- Griffiths, R. (1991). Pausological Research in an L2 Context: A Rationale, and Review of Selected Studies. Applied Linguistics, 12(4), 345-64.
- Gruba, P. (1997). The role of video media in listening assessment. System, 25(3), 335-345.
- Hall, M. (2007). Phonological characteristics of Farsi speakers of English and l1 Australian English speakers' perceptions of proficiency. Unpublished MA thesis. University of Curtin, Croatia.
- Hasan, A. (2000). Learners' perceptions of listening comprehension problems. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 13(2), 137-153.
- Kasper, G. (1992). Pragmatic transfer. Second language research, 8(3), 203-231.
- Lin, C. Y., & Wang, H. C. (2006, May). Language identification using pitch contour information in the ergodic Markov model. In Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 2006. ICASSP 2006 Proceedings. 2006 IEEE International Conference on (Vol. 1, pp. I-I). IEEE.
- Liu, N. F. (2002). Processing problems in L2 listening comprehension of university students in Hong Kong. (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved on June 3, 2014 from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses database. (UMI No. 3074191).
- Mareschal, C. (2007). Student perceptions of a self-regulatory approach to second language listening comprehension development. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Ottawa).
- Mey, J. L. (1993). Pragmatics: an introduction (Vol. 10). Oxford: Blackwell.
- Milton, J., Wade, J., & Hopkins, N. (2010). Aural word recognition and oral competence in a foreign language. In Beltran, R. C., Abello-Contesse, C., & del Mar Torreblanca-Lopez, M. (Eds.), Insights into non-native vocabulary teaching and learning, (pp.83-98). UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Nation, I. S. (2006)."How large a vocabulary is needed for reading and listening?."Canadian Modern Language Review/La revue canadienne des langues vivantes,63(1), 59-82.
- Nowrouzi, S., Tam, S. S., Nimehchisalem, V., and Zareian, G. (2014). Developing an instrument for Iranian EFL learners' listening comprehension problems and listening strategies. Advances in Language and Literacy Studies 5(3).
- Ockey, G. J. (2007). Construct implications of including still image or video in computer-based listening tests. Language Testing, 24(4), 517-537.
- Paran, A. (1996). Reading in ESL: Facts and fictions. ELT Journal, 50(1), 25-34.
- Rost, M. (2005). L2 Listening. In E. Hinkel (Ed.), Handbook of research in second language teaching and learning (pp. 503-527). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Staehr, L. S. (2008). Vocabulary size and the skills of listening, reading and writing. Language Learning Journal, 36(2), 139-152.
- Suvorov, R. S. (2008). Context visuals in L2 listening tests: The effectiveness of photographs and video vs. audio-only format. (Master's thesis). Retrieved on June 3, 2014 from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses database. (UMI No. 1454627).
- Taguchi, N. (2008). Pragmatic comprehension in Japanese as a foreign language. The Modern Language Journal, 92(4), 558-576.
- Thompson, I., (1995). Assessment of second/foreign language listening comprehension. In D. Mendelsohn & J. Rubin (Eds.), A guide for the teaching of second language listening (pp. 31-58). San Diego: Dominie Press.
- Thomas, Jenny, 1995. Meaning in Interaction. An Introduction to Pragmatics. London: Longman.
- Thomas, J. (1995). Meaning in interaction: An introduction to pragmatics (pp. 142-146). London: Longman.
- Thomas, J. (1983). Cross-cultural pragmatic failure. Applied linguistics, 4(2), 91-112.
- Ur, P. (1984). Teaching listening comprehension. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Vandergrift, L. (2003). Orchestrating strategy use: Toward a model of the skilled second language listener. Language Learning, 53(3), 463-496.
- Vandergrift, L., Goh, C. C. M. Mareschal, C. & Tafaghodtari, M. H. (2006). The metacognitive awareness listening questionnaire: Development and validation. 56(3), 431-462.
- Vandergrift, L. (2007). Recent developments in second and foreign language listening comprehension research. Language Teaching, 40(3), 191-210.
- Wilson, M. (2003). Discovery listening-improving perceptual processing. ELT Journal, 57(4), 335-343.
Abstract Views: 285
PDF Views: 62