Open Access Subscription Access
Exploring English Academic Texts on Language Education and Pedagogy: Structural, Stylistic and Lexical Features
English academic texts on language education and pedagogy refer to texts that reflect features that pertain to educational discourse of language teaching and learning and to its functions in the system of academic and educational communications (Tuzlukova, Stashkova & Pushkina, 2006). These texts serve to construct a common platform for sharing knowledge and ideas in the global socio-cultural continuum. They also allow for presenting individual/local practice and experience of the pedagogical exploration of the world, educational communication, existing academic and language education discourse thus contributing to scientific value and social significance of the local educational communities. Indeed, English academic texts on language education and pedagogy reflect a complex and multifaceted system of the "common" language (Belchik, 1987) that is used globally in the field; nevertheless, their structural, stylistic and lexical constituents have individual/local features (Flottum, 2007). This paper discusses some structural, stylistic and lexical characteristics of the academic texts on language education. The discussion is supported by the examples from the corpus of academic texts on English language education and pedagogy in Oman that reveal both individual/local and internationally recognized common features of these characteristics.
Academic Texts, Language Education, Pedagogy, Oman.
- Ahmad K. A. (1996). Terminology Dynamic and the Growth of Knowledge: A Case Study in Nuclear Physics and in the Philosophy of Science. Paper presented at TKE'96: 4th Conference on Terminology and Knowledge Engineering. Innsbruck, Austria. Frankfurt: INDEKS-Verlag, 1-11.
- Akhamanova O.S. (1966). Dictionary of linguistic terms. Moscow: Moscow University Press.
- Al-Busaidi, S. & Tuzlukova, V. (Eds.) (2013). General Foundation Programmes in Higher Education in the Sultanate of Oman: Experiences, Challenges and Considerations for the Future. Muscat: Mazoon Press & Publishing.
- Alekseev, P. (1973). On the Systematic Character of Linguistic Statistics. Theory of Language and Engineering Linguistics. Leningrad: Leningrad University Press.
- Alfeeva, E. (2001). Semantic Aspects of Informatics: Information System of Text. Pedagogicheskaya Informatica, 3, 47-57.
- Al Issa, A. (2008). The implications of the teacher training program to the ELT policy implementation in Oman. The Journal of Asia TEFL, 5(2), 59-92.
- Al-Issa, A. & Al-Bulushi, A. (2010). Training English language student teachers to become reflective teachers. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 35(4), 41-64.
- Al-Issa, A. (2011). Advancing English language teaching research in Gulf cooperation countries universities. MJAL, 3(2), 60-77.
- Al-Mahrouqi, R. (2008). Address by the Director of the Language Centre. In S. Finlay & N. McBeath (Eds.) Proceedings of the Eighth Annual ELT Conference: Integration of Skills, Creative Methods and Techniques in ELT. Muscat: Sultan Qaboos University Language Centre.
- Al Mahrooqi, R. & Tuzlukova V. (Eds.) (2010). The Omani ELT Symphony: Maintaining Linguistic and Socio-Cultural Equilibrium. Oman: Sultan Qaboos University Academic Publication Board.
- Arzikulov Ch. (1980). The experience of systematic and semantic description of terminology. In Issues in scientific and technical terminology and methods of teaching foreign languages. (pp.10-35). Minsk: Nauka i technika
- Bakhtin М. (1992). Esteticheskoe nasledie i sovremennost. Saransk: Mordovski university publishing.
- Bakhtin М.М. (1994). Raboti 1920-h godov. Kiev: Next.
- Bakhtin, Mikhail. (1986). Speech genres and other late essays. Texas: University of Austin.
- Bazerman, C. (1988). Shaping written knowledge. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- Belchikov, Yu.A. (1987). Style in linguistics. In V. Kozhevnikova & P. Nikolaeva (Eds.) Encyclopedic dictionary on literature. Мoscow: Sovetskaya Encyclopedia.
- Bogouslavskaya V.V. (2004). Journalism text as a term and as a concept. Moscow: Izdatelstvo Rodina.
- Borg, S. & Al-Busaidi, S. (2012). Teachers' beliefs and practices regarding learner autonomy. ELT Journal, 66(3), 283-292.
- Boulten, A., Carter-Thomas, S. & Rowley-Jolivet, E. (2012). Corpus-informed research and learning in ESP: Issues and applications. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Boyer, E. (1990). Scholarship reconsidered: priorities of the professoriate. San Francisco, CA: Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Castello, M., Banales, G., Inesta, A. & Vega, N. (2009). Writing academic texts: organization and structure, authorial voice and intertextuality. Retrieved August 5, 2014, from http://site.blanquerna.url.edu/lest/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Wr_manual_eng.pdf.
- Chung, T. & Nation, P. (2003). Technical vocabulary in specialized texts. Reading in a Foreign Language. 15 (2). Retrieved August 5, 2014, from http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl/October2003/chung/chung.html.
- Crystal, D. (1970). New perspectives for language study: II Semiotics, English Language Teaching, 24, 209-215.
- Curriculum. Understanding English, communication and language. (2012). Retrieved August 4, 2014, from http://www.st-peters.n-somerset.sch.uk/curriculum_list.asp?Section=21&subpagename=currenglish.
- Diderichsen, Ph. (2006). Augmented communication: The communicative potential of the internet. Lund University Cognitive Studies, 132. Retrieved August 4, 2014, from http://www.lucs.lu.se/LUCS/132/LUCS.132.pdf.
- El-Okda, M. (2005). A proposed model for EFL teacher involvement in on-going curriculum development. Asian EFL Journal, 7 (4), 33-49.
- Fairclough, N. (1989). Language and power. London: Longman.
- Flottum, K. (2007). Language and discipline perspectives on academic discourse. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Flottum, K., Dahl, T. & Kinn, T. (2006). Academic Voices. Across languages and disciplines. Amsterdam - Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Flowerdew, J. (1993). Concordancing as a tool in course design. System, 21(2), 231-244.
- Francis, W. N. (1992). Language Corpora BC. In J. Svartvik (Ed.) Directions in corpus linguistics. (pp.17-34). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Golubkina K.V. (2002). Language and regional studies of Great Britain and USA. Moscow: Moscow State Linguistic University.
- Herrmann, J. (2013). Metaphor in academic discourse. Linguistic forms, conceptual structures, communicative functions and cognitive representations. The Netherlands: Lot. Retrieved August 1, 2014, from http://dare.ubvu.vu.nl/bitstream/handle/1871/43562/dissertation.pdf?sequence=1.
- Humes, W. (2000). The Discourses of Educational Management. Journal of Educational Enquiry, 1(1), 35-53. Retrieved August 3, 2014, from http://www.education.unisa.edu.au/JEE.
- Knight, J. (2003). Internationalization of Higher Education Practices and Priorities: 2003 IAU Survey Report. Retrieved November 23, 2013, from http://www.iau-aiu.net/internationalization/pdf/Internationalisation-en.pdf.
- Kolesnikova I. & Dolgina, O. (2001). English-Russian reference book on methods of teaching foreign languages. St. Petersburg: Blitz Publishing & Cambridge University Press.
- Language and literacy in a changing world. (2010). OpenLearn LabSpace. Retrieved August 1, 2014, from http://labspace.open.ac.uk/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=445539.
- Lee, D. (2001) Genres, Registers, Text Types, Domains, and Styles: Clarifying the Concepts and Navigating a Path Though the BNC Jungle. Language Learning & Technology, 5(3), 37-72.
- McEnery, T. & Wilson (2005). Corpus Linguistics. Introduction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Motta-Roth, D. (2009). The role of context in academic text production and writing pedagogy. In C. Bazerman, A. Bonini, & Figueiredo, D. (Eds.) Genre in a changing world. (pp. 317-336). Fort Collins, Colorado, and West Lafayette, Indiana: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press. Retrieved August 10, 2014, from http://wac.colostate.edu/books/genre/chapter16.pdf.
- Nealy, M. (2008) LULAC Calls for culture-based educational approach and accountability to stem dropout rate among minorities. Retrieved April 8, 2014, from http://www.diverseeducation.com/artman/publish/article_11408.shtml.
- Shvedova N.Yu. (1988). Lexical system and its reflection in the dictionary. In: Yu. N. Karaulov (Ed.) Russian studies today. Language: System and its functioning. (pp.152-166). Moscow: Nauka.
- Ter-Minasova S.G. (2000). Language and intercultural communication. Moscow: Slovo.
- Tuzlukova V. (2001). Modeling of the system of the regional pedagogy. Rostov-on-Don: Rostov State Pedagogical University Printing Press.
- Tuzlukova, V., Stashkova, N. & Pushkina, N. (2001). On some features of the English pedagogical articles. Systematic and functional analysis of the language constituents, 9(2), 15-23.
- Volodina M. (1997). Theory of terminological nomination. Moscow: Moscow State University.
Abstract Views: 256
PDF Views: 67