Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
High Performance Work Practices and Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Mediating Role of Organizational Justice and Organizational Commitment
During the past three decades scholars have made a tremendous effort to study the relationship between High Performance Work Practices (HPWPs) and organizational performance. But comparatively scholars have paid less attention to establish the relationship between HPWPs and various attitudes and behaviors of employees. This paper provides comprehensive review on various types of HPWPs and its link with improving Organizational Citizenship Behavior (OCB) via mediating organizational justice and organizational commitment. The main objective of this paper is to explain how to improve OCB of employees by adopting various HPWPs via mediating organizational justice and organizational commitment. Finally, the paper presents a comprehensive framework which shows the mediating role of organizational justice, organizational commitment between HPWPs, and OCB. This paper provides further insight, for people who are responsible in handling employees as human resources managers of organizations, on HR practices contribute to high individual level and organizational level outcomes.
High Performance Work Practices, Organizational Citizenship Behavior Organizational Justice, Organizational Commitment.
- Appelbaumn ,E et al (2000) Manufacturing Advantage, Ithaca, NY: ILR Press
- Agrwala T. (2002) “Human Resource Management: The emerging trends”, Indian Journal of Industrial of Industrial Relations , vol.37, No. 3
- Bateman, T. S. & Organ, D. W. (1983). Job satisfaction and the good soldier: the relationship between affect and employee „citizenship. Academy of Management Journal, 26, 587 95.
- Barney J.B. (1995) “Firm Resources and sustained competitive advantage Journal of management. Volume 17
- Becker B.E. & Huselid M.A. (1998) “High performance Work Practices and Firm performance: A synthesis of Research & Management implications, Research in Personnel & HRM 16
- Cohen-Charash, Y., & Spector, P.E. (2001). The role of justice in organizations: A meta-analysis. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 86, 278-321.
- Colquitt, J. A. (2001). On the dimensionality of organizational justice: A construct validation of a measure. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86, 386–400.
- Delery J.E. & D.H. Doty (19966) “ Modes of Theorizing in SHRM; Academy of
- Dittrich, J.E., & Carroll, M.RE. (1979) Organizational Equity perceptions, employee job satisfaction and departmental absence and turnover rates. Organizational Behavior and Human Perfromance,24,pp29-40
- Farh, J., Posdakoff, P. M. & Organ, D. W. (1990). Accounting for organizational citizenship behavior: Leader fairness and task scope versus satisfaction. Journal of Management, 16,705-721.
- Gupta , V. & Singh, S. (2010). Developing a set of high performance HRM practices and exploring its relationship with OCB and organizational justice. A_2010_Proceedings-Page 0464. Retrieved on December 29, 2011
- Guest E.D. & R. Peccei (1994) “ the nature and causes of effective HRM, British Journal of Industrial Relations Volume 32
- Greenberg J (1990). „„Organizational justice: yesterday, today, and tomorrow‟‟. Journal of . Management., 16: 399-432.
- Ichinowoski et al, (1996) “ What works at work overview and assessment, industrial Relations. Volume 35
- Joshi R.J.(2001) “High performance culture”, Indian Journal of Industrial Relations. Vol. 37. No.1
- Khalid, S. A & Ali, H. (2005). The effects of organizational citizenship behavior on withdrawal behavior: A Malaysian study. International Journal of Management and Entrepreneurship, 1, 1, 30 - 40
- Liljegren, M. & Ekberg, K. (2009). The associations between perceived distributive, procedural, and interactional organizational justice, self-rated health and burnout. Work, 33, 43-51.
- LePine, J.A., Erez, A., & Johnson, D.E. (2002). The nature and dimensionality of OCB: A critical review and meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology,87,52-65
- Konovsky, M. A., & Organ, D. W. (1996). Dispositional and contextual determinants of organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 17, 253–266.
- McDuffie J (1995) “Human Resource Bundles and Manufacturing Performance, Industrial & Labour Relations Review Vol. 48
- MacKenzie SB, Podsakoff PM & Fetter R (1993). The impact of organizational citizenship behavior on evaluations of sales 1926 Afr. J. Bus. Manage. performance. J. Mark., 57(1): 70-80.
- Mowday, R. T., Porter, L. W., & Steers, R. M. 1982. Em- ployee-organizational linkages: The psychology of commitment, absenteeism, and turnover. New York: Academic Press. O Blau, P. 1964. Exchange and power in social life. New York: Wile
- Meyer, J. P., & Allen, N. J. 1984. Testing the "side-bet" theory of organizational commitment: Some method- logical considerations. Journal of Applied Psy- chology, 69: 372- Journal of Politics, 27: 735-760.
- Moorman, R.H. (1991). Relationship between organizational justice and organizational citizenship behaviors: Do fairness perceptions influence employee citizenship? Journal of Applied Psychology, 76, 845-855.
- Netemeyer RG, Boles JS, McKee DO, & McMurrin R (1997). An investigation
- Organ DW (1988). Organizational citizenship behavior: The good soldier syndrome. Lexington, MA: Heath.
- Organ DW, Lingl A (1995). Personality, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behavior. J. Soc. Psychol., 135(3): 25-31.
- O‟Reilly, C., & Chatman, J. (1986). Organizational commitment and psychological attachment: The effects of compliance, identification, and internalization on prosocial behavior. Journal of Applied Psychology,71, 492– 499.
- Pfeffer J. (1995) “ Producing sustainable competitive advantage through the effective management of people” Academy of management Executive , Volume 19, No 4
- Podsakoff PM, & MacKenzie SB (1997). Impact of organizational citizenship behavior on organizational performance: A review and suggestions for future research. Hum. Perform., 10(2): 133-151.
- Podsakoff PM, MacKenzie SB, Moorman RH, & Fetter R (1990). Transformational leader behaviors and their effects on followers‟ trust in leader, satisfaction and . organizational citizenship behaviors. Leadersh. Q., 1(2): 107-142.
- Robbins SP (2002). Organizational behavior (10th ed.). New Jersey
- Sun L.,Samuel A., & Law K.S. (2007) High Performance Work Practices , Organizational Citizenship Behaviour and Organizational Performance, Academy of Management Journal, Volume 50, Issue 03,pp558
- Smith CA, Organ DW, & Near JP (1983). Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature and an. tecedents. J. Appl. Psychol., 68(4): 653-663.
- Sweeney, P.D., & McFarlin, D.B. (1993). Workers‟ evaluations of the “ends and the “means”:An examination of four models of distributive and procedural justice. Organizational Behaviorand Human Decision Processes, 55, 23-40.
- Van Dyne L, Graham JW, & Dienesch RM (1994). Organizational Citizenship behavior: Construct redefinition, measurement, and validation. Acad. Manage. J., 37(4): 765-802.
- Vishal Gupta & Shailendra Singh(2010) Developing set of High Performance HRM practices and Exploring its relationship with OCB and Organizational justice SMA 2010, Proceedings –pp 464.
Abstract Views: 300
PDF Views: 0