Open Access Subscription Access
Nitrate Removal from Aqueous Solution Using Natural Zeolite-supported Zero-Valent Iron Nanoparticles
A report on the synthesis and characterization of nanoscale zero-valent iron in the presence of natural zeolite as a stabilizer is presented. This novel adsorbent (Ze-nZVI) was synthesized by the sodium borohydride reduction method. The scanning electron microscopy (SEM) images revealed that the stabilized nZVI particles were uniformly dispersed across the zeolite surface without obvious aggregation. The synthesized Ze-nZVI material was then tested for the removal of nitrate from aqueous solution. The effect of various parameters on the removal process, such as initial concentration of nitrate, contact time, initial pH, and Ze-nZVI dosage, was studied. Batch experiments revealed that the supported nZVI materials generally have great flexibility and high activity for nitrate removal from aqueous solution. The nitrogen mass balance calculation showed that ammonium was the major product of nitrate reduction by Ze-nZVI (more than 84% of the nitrate reduced); subsequently the natural zeolite in Ze-nZVI removed it completely via adsorption. The kinetic experiments indicated that the removal of nitrate followed the pseudo-second-order kinetic model. The removal efficiency for nitrate decreased continuously with an increase in the initial solution pH value and Ze-nZVI dosage but increased with the increase in the initial concentration of nitrate. The overall results indicated the potential efficacy of Ze-nZVI for environmental remediation application.
Chemical Reduction, Kinetic Modelling, Nanoscale Zero-Valent Iron Particles, Natural Zeolite, Nitrate, Sorption Isotherm.
- APHA (1992): Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- Birks L.S. Friedman H. (1946): Particle size determination from X-ray line broadening. Journal of Applied Physics, 16: 687–692.
- Chapman H.D. (1965): Cation Exchange Capacity. Method of Soil Analysis. SSAA, Madison.
- Chatterjee S., Woo S.H. (2009): The removal of nitrate from aqueous solutions by chitosan hydrogel beads. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 164: 1012–1018.
- Chen Z.X., Jin X.Y., Chen Z., Megharaj M. (2011): Removal of methyl orange from aqueous solution using bentonite-supported nanoscale zero-valent iron. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 363: 601–607.
- Foo K.Y., Hameed B. (2010): Insights into the modeling of adsorption isotherm systems. Chemical Engineering Journal, 156: 2–10.
- Fu F., Dionysios D., Liu H. (2014): The use of zero-valent iron for groundwater remediation and wastewater treatment: A review. Journal of Hazardous Materials, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.12.062. (in print)
- Geng B., Jin Z., Li T., Qi X. (2009): Preparation of chitosanstabilized Fe0 nanoparticles for removal of hexavalent chromium in water. Science of the Total Environment, 407: 4994–5000.
- Gotic M., Music S. (2007): Mossbauer, FTIR and FESEM investigation of iron oxides precipitated from FeSo4 solutions. Journal of Molecular Structure, 834: 445–453.
- Horzum N., Demir M., Nairat M., Shahwan T. (2013): Chitosan fiber-supported zero-valent iron nanoparticles as a novel sorbent for sequestration of inorganic arsenic. RSC Advances, 3: 7828–7837.
- Huan Z., Zhao J., Lu H., Cheng Q. (2006): Synthesis of nanoscale zero-valent iron supported on exfoliated graphite for removal of nitrate. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 16: 345–349.
- Hwang Y.H., Kim D., Shin H. (2011): Mechanism study of nitrate reduction by nano zero valent iron. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 185: 1513–1521.
- Keeney D.R., Nelson D. (1982): Nitrogen Inorganic Forms. Methods of Soil Analysis. Part 2. 2nd Ed. Agronomy ASA,SSSA. Madison, 643–698.
- Li S., Wu P., Li H., Zhu N., Li P., Wu J., Wang X., Dang Z. (2010): Synthesis and characterization of organo-montmorillonite supported iron nanoparticles. Applied Clay Science, 50: 330–338.
- Li Y., Li T., Jin Z. (2011a): Stabilization of Fe0 nanoparticles with silica fume for enhanced transport and remediation of hexavalent chromium in water and soil. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23: 1211–1218.
- Li Y., Zhang Y., Li J., Zheng X. (2011b): Enhanced removal of pentachlorophenol by a novel composite: Nanoscale zero valent iron immobilized on bentonite. Environmental Pollution, 159: 3744–3749.
- Liu T., Wang Z.L., Zhao L., Yang X. (2012): Enhanced chitosan/Fe0 -nanoparticles beads for hexavalent chromium removal from wastewater. Chemical Engineering Journal, 189–190: 196–202.
- Pechar F., Rykl D. (1981): Infrared spectra of natural zeolites of the stilbite group. Chemical Papers, 35: 189–202.
- Qiu H., Lv L., Pan B., Zhang Q., Zhang W., Zhang Q. (2009): Critical review in adsorption kinetic models. Journal of Zhejiang University Science, 10: 716–724.
- Rodriguez J.M., García F., Garcia A., Gomez C., Vereda C. (2009): Kinetics of the chemical reduction of nitrate by zero-valent iron. Chemosphere, 74: 804–809.
- Sherman M., Ponder J., Darab G., Thomas E., Mallouk E. (2000): Remediation of Cr(VI) and Pb(II) aqueous solutions using supported, nanoscale zero-valent iron. Environmental Science & Technology, 34: 2564–4569.
- Shi J., Yi S., He H., Lomg C., Li A. (2013): Preparation of nanoscale zero-valent iron supported on chelating resin with nitrogen donor atoms for simultaneous reduction of Pb2+ and NO3 –. Chemical Engineering Journal, 230: 166–171.
- Shi L., Zhang X., Chen Z. (2011): Removal of Cr(VI) from wastewater using bentonite-supported nanoscale zerovalent iron. Water Research, 45: 886–892.
- Tiraferri A., Chen K., Sethi R., Elimelech M. (2008): Reduced aggregation and sedimentation of zero-valent iron nanoparticles in the presence of guar gum. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 324: 71–79.
- UzUm C., Shahwan T., Eroglu A., Hallam K., Scott T. (2009): Synthesis and characterization of kaolinite-supported zero-valent iron nanoparticles and their application for the removal of aqueous Cu2+ and Co2+ ions. Applied Clay Science, 43: 172–181.
- Wang W., Zhou M., Mao Q., Yue J., Wang X. (2010): Novel NaY zeolite-supported nanoscale zero-valent iron as an ef?cient heterogeneous fenton catalyst. Catalysis Communications, 11: 937–941.
- Wang X., Chen C., Liu H., Ma J. (2008): Preparation and characterization of PAA/PVDF membrane-immobilized Pd/Fe nanoparticles for dechlorination of trichloroacetic acid. Water Research, 42: 4656–4664.
- Zhu H., Jia Y., Wu J., Wang H. (2009): Removal of arsenic from water by supported nano zero-valent iron on activated carbon. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 172:1591–1596.
Abstract Views: 116
PDF Views: 56