Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Formulation Development and Evaluation of Polyherbal Hydrogel for Effective Treatment of Acne
Herb is a plant or part of a plant valued for its medicinal, aromatic, or savoury qualities. Herbs can be viewed as biosynthetic chemical laboratories, producing a number of chemical compounds. Herbal remedies or medicines consist of portions of plants or unpurified plant extracts containing several constituents, which often work together synergistically. Herbal formulations have more demanded in the market. One of the most common disorders found among youngsters usually 18 - 25 years of age is Acne. Acne vulgaris, which is a skin disorder of the pilosebaceous gland leads to the formation of inflammatory lesions, seborrhea, comedone, etc. The pus being formed in acne which triggers inflammation is due to Propionibacterium acnes. There is a remarkable demand of herbal formulations in the global market. So our aim and objective to develop safe and effective polyherbal formulation for effective management of acne.
Herb, Acne vulgaris, Propionibacterium Acne, Polyherbal Formulation.
- Abel Nosereme Agbon, Helen Ochuko Kwaneshie and Wilson Oliver Hamman, Antidiarrheal Activity of Aqueous Fruit Extract of Phoenix dactylifera (Date Palm) in Wistar Rats, British Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 4(3): 121-127, 2013.
- Ansari Sufiyamohdazam Farhana, Antimicrobial and Synergistic Activity of Phoenix Dactylifera Seeds, Indian J.L.Sci. 4 (1) : 95-100, 2014.
- Ayesha mateen, P.V.K. Suresh, Parwez Ahmed, Evaluation of antibacterial activity of cuscuta reflexa and abutilon indicum, international journal of pharma and bio sciences, 2011, (2) 4, pp. 355-361
- Balakrishnan BR, Sangameswaran B, Bhaskar VH, Effect of methanol extract of Cuscuta reflexa aerial parts on hepatotoxicity induced by antitubercular drugs in rats, International Journal of Applied Research in Natural Products Vol. 3(1), pp. 18-22, March-April 2010
- Bele A. A. Jadhav V M, Kadam V J. Formulation and evaluation of herbal drug. Drug invert today. 2010 2 (7) 369-372.
- Carl AB, Edward RA, David EB, Tietz NW, Text book of clinical chemistry and molecular diagnostics, 4th rev. ed., W.B Saunders Philadelphia, 2001.
- Ch. Muhammad Tahir. Pathogenesis of Acne Vulgaris: Simplified. Journal of Pakistan Association of Dermatologists 2010; 20: 93-97.
- Chukwugozie N Okwuosa, Theophilus K Udeani, Joshua E Umeifekwem, Augustine C Onuba, Innocent C Anioke1 and Romanus. E. Madubueze, Hepatoprotective Effect of Methanolic Fruit Extracts of Phoenix dactylifera (Arecaceae) on Thioacetamide Induced Liver Damage in Rats, American Journal of Phytomedicine and Clinical Therapeutics 2(3)2014 pp290-300.
- Collected from Different Hosts, J Food Process Technol 2013, 4:5 pp 1-6.
- Dandopani Chatterjee, Ram K Sahu, Arvind K Jha and Jaya Dwivedi, Evaluation of Antitumor Activity of Cuscuta Reflexa Roxb (Cuscutaceae) Against Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma in Swiss Albino Mice, Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research August 2011; 10 (4): 447-454.
- Das, K.; Dang, R.; Machale, M. U.; Formulation and Evaluation of A Novel Herbal Gel Of Stevia Extract. Iranian Journal of Dermatology 2010, 12, 117-122
- Eman Abdul Rahman Assirey, Nutritional composition of fruit of 10 date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) cultivars grown in Saudi Arabia, Journal of Taibah University for Science 9 (2015) 75–79.
- Evaluation of anti-epileptic activity of Cuscuta reflexa Roxb.,2011, RJPBCS 2 (1),pp 657-663
- Fatima Grace X, Joan Vijetha R, Rahul Raj S, Shanthi S, Latha S, Shanmuganathan S, Formulation And Evaluation Of Polyherbal Anti-Acne Gel Adv J Pharm Life sci Res, 2015 3;1:5-8
- Fozia Anjum , Shazia Anwer Bukhari, Muhammad Shahid, Shakeel Anwar, Muhammad Afzal and Naheed Akhter, Comparative Evaluation of Antioxidant Potential of Parasitic Plant
- Goulden V, McGeown CH, Cunliffe WJ. The familial risk of adult acne: a comparison between first-degree relatives of affected and unaffected individuals. Br J Dermatol. Aug 1999; 141(2):297-300.
- Goyal, S.; Sharma, P.; Ramchandani, U.; et al Novel Anti-Inflammatory Topical Herbal Gels Containing Withaniasomnifera and Boswelliaserrata. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Archives 2011, 2, 1087-1094.
- H.A. Abdelrahman, S.I. Fathalla, A.A. Mohamed, H.K. Jun and D.H. Kim, Protective Effect of Dates (Phoenix dactylifera L.) And Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) on Carbon TetrachlorideInduced Hepatotoxicity in Dogs, Global Veterinaria 9 (2): 184-191, 2012
- Holland DB, Cunliffe WJ, Norris JF. Differential response of sebaceous glands to exogenous testosterone.Br J Dermatol. Jul 1998; 139(1):102-3.
- J. Rao, MD, FRCPC. (2006) Combination Therapy for Acne Vulgaris. Division of Dermatology and Cutaneous Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada).
- Katiyar NS, Rao NV and Gangwar AK, Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of stem extracts of Cuscuta reflexa (Roxb) in rats, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, Vol. 3 (4) Oct – Dec 2012
- Khan Rahmat Ali, Khan Muhammad Rashid, Sahreen Sumaira and Ahmed Mushtaq. (2012). Evaluation of phenolic contents and antioxidant activity of various solvent extracts of Sonchus asper. Chemistry Central Journal., 6:12.
- Kumar Ashok, Jha K.K., Kumar Dinesh, Agrawal Abhirav and Gupta, Akhil (2012). Preliminary Phytochemical Analysis of Leaf and Bark Extract of Ficus Infectoria Plant., 1(5):71-76.
- Lucky AW, Biro FM, Simbartl LA, Morrison JA, Sorg NW. Predictors of severity of acne vulgaris in young adolescent girls: results of a five-year longitudinal study. J Pediatr. Jan 1997; 130(1):30-9.
- M. D. Jagtap, A. S. Asabe, A. B. Telave, B. S. Mali, S. J. Chavan and M. B. Kanade, Antifungal potential of Cuscuta reflexa Roxb, Central European Journal of Experimental Biology, 2014, 3 (3):30-32.
- Majeedul H. Chowdhury, Wahid Mozammel Haque, Mst. Eashmat Ara Annay, Rownak Jahan, effect of cuscuta reflexa stem and calotropis procera leaf extracts on Glucose tolerance in glucose-induced hyperglycemic rats and mice, Afr. J. Trad. CAM (2010) 7 (2): 109 – 112.
- Marc Bleischwitz, Markus Albert, Hans-Lothar Fuchsbauer, Ralf Kaldenhoff, Significance of Cuscutain, a cysteine protease from Cuscuta reflexa, in host-parasite interactions, BMC Plant Biology 2010, 10:227 pp 3-8.
- Mohamed R Elgindi, Abdel Nasser Singab, Eman MM El-Taher, and Mona ES Kassem, A Comprehensive Review of Phoenix (Arecaceae), May–June 2015 RJPBCS 6(3) Page No. 966.
- Neetu Bais and Arun Kakkar, Comparative Phytochemical Analysis of Cuscuta Reflexa Parasite Grown on Cassia Fistula and Ficus Benghlensis by GC-MS, Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, Vol 5, Suppl 4, 350-355.
- Neetu Bais, Arun Kakkar., Phytochemical Analysis of Methanolic Extract of Cuscuta reflexa Grown on Cassia fistula and Ficus benghalensis by GC-MS, Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 25(2), Mar – Apr 2014; Article No. 07, Pages: 33-36
- Negi, A.; Sharma, M.; Singh, M.; Formulation and Evaluation of an Herbal Anti-Inflammatory Gel Containing Eupatorium Leaves Extract. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2012, 1, 112-117
- Norris JF, Cunliffe WJ. A histological and immunocytochemical study of early acne lesions. Br J Dermatol. May 1988; 118(5):651-9.
- P Chakraborty,I Roy, S Chatterjee, S Chanda, and S Gupta-Bharracharya, Phoenix sylvestris Roxb Pollen Allergy: A 2-Year Randomized Controlled Trial and Follow-up Study of Immunotherapy in Patients With Seasonal Allergy in an Agricultural Area of West Bengal, India, J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2006; Vol. 16(6): 377-384
- Panda Amaresh, Rath Seemanchala, Pradhan Debashis, Mahanty Arpan, Gupta Bijan Kumar, Bala Nripendra Nath, Hepatoprotective Activity of Whole Part of the Plant Cuscuta reflexa Roxb. (Convolvulaceae) in Chloroform, Ethanol and Paracetamol Induced Hepatotoxic Rat Models, International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2014; 6(2): 127-132.
- Pavan Bhausaheb Udavant, Suggala Venkata Satyanarayana, Chandrashekhar Devidas Upasani , In Vitro Anthelmintic Activity of Stems of Cuscuta Reflexa International Journal of Bioassays, 2012, 01 (08), 18–19.
- Pochi PE, Strauss JS. Sebaceous gland activity in black skin. Dermatol Clin. Jul 1988;6(3):349-51.
- Prakash, D., Upadhyay, G. and Gupta, C., Total phenol and antioxidant activity of some fruits and their under-utilized parts, International Food Research Journal 20(4): 1717-1724 (2013)
- Rintu Das, Shinjini Mitra, Kaustab Mukherjee, Umesh P. Singh, and Ena Ray Banerjee, Anti-Oxiflammatory Profile of Date Extracts (Phoenix sylvestris), Biomedical Research and Therapy 2015, 2(6): 297-317.
- Safaa Y. Qusti , Ahmed N. Abo-khatwa and Mona A. Bin Lahwa, Screening of Antioxidant Activity and Phenolic Content of selected Food Items cited in the Holly Quran, EJBS 2 (1) Jan-March 2010.
- Sanket P Borole, Rajesh J Oswal, Rishikesh V Antre, Sandip S Kshirsagar, Yogita R Bagul
- Satish Patel, Vikas Sharma, Nagendra S Chauhan and Vinod K Dixit, A study on the extracts of Cuscuta reflexa Roxb. In treatment of cyclophosphamide induced alopecia, DARU Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2014, 22:7 pp 1-6.
- Sharmin Islam, Md. Mustafizur Rahman, Md. Hasibul Alam, Shaikh Jamal Uddin, Sm Faysal Bellah, Gazi Md. Manjur Murshid, Anthelmintic and cytotoxic activity of the ethanolic extract of Phoenix sylvestris root, World J Pharm Sci 2014; 2(8): 725-728.
- Solat Perveen, Iftikhar Hussain Bukhari, Qurat-Ul-Ain, Shazia Kousar, and Jeveria Rehman, Antimicrobial, Antioxidant And Minerals Evaluation Of Cuscuta Europea And Cuscuta Reflexa Collected From Different Hosts And Exploring Their Role As Functional Attribute, Int. Res J Pharm. App Sci., 2013; 3(5):43-49.
- Sooad Al-daihan and Ramesa Shafi Bhat, Antibacterial activities of extracts of leaf, fruit, seed and bark of Phoenix dactylifera, African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 11(42), pp. 10021-10025, 24 May, 2012.
- Susmita Das, Bratati De, Evaluation of Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitory potential of some underutilized indigenous fruits of West Bengal using an in vitro model, Fruits, 2013, vol. 68, p. 499–506
- Sweta Bhan, Lalit Mohan, Chand Narayan Srivastava., Efficacy of Cuscuta reflexa extract and its synergistic activity with Temephos against mosquito larvae, International Journal of Mosquito Research 2015; 2 (1): 34-41
- Syed Saeed ul Hassan, Shahid Rasool, Muhammad Khalil-ur-Rehman, Saiqa Ishtiaq, Shahid ul Hassan, Imran Waheed and M. Asif Saeed, Phytochemical Investigation of Irritant Constituents of Cuscuta reflexa, Int. J. Agric. Biol., Vol. 16, No. 5, 2014 pp 1194- 1198.
- Thiboutot D, Gilliland K, Light J, Lookingbill D. Androgen metabolism in sebaceous glands from subjects with and without acne. Arch Dermatol. Sep 1999;135(9):1041-5.
- Vabkova, J. and Neugebauerova, J. (2011). Determination of total phenolic Content, total flavonoid content and frap in culinary herbs in Relation to harvest time. 167-172.
- Vijay Kothari, In vitro Antibacterial Activity in Seed extracts of Phoenix sylvestris Roxb (Palmae), and Tricosanthes dioica L (Cucurbitaceae), Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy Vol. 5 (1) 993-997 January 2011.
- Vijikumar .S , Ramanathan.K and B.Parimala Devi, Cuscuta reflexa ROXB. – A Wonderful Miracle Plant in Ethnomedicine, Indian Journal Of Natural Sciences Vol1I / Issue 9 / December 2011 675- 683.
Abstract Views: 1426
PDF Views: 0