Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Anthelmintic Activity of Panchachurnam:An Ayurvedic Polyherbomineral Formulation
Panchachurnam is one of the classical Ayurvedic preparations; it is prepared by mixing equal proportions of powdered Cassia angustifolia Vahl. leaf, Terminalia chebula Retz. fruit, Zingiber officinale Rosc. rhizome, Foeniculum vulgare Mill. fruit and Saindhava lavana. The present study was done with the aim to evaluate the anthelmintic activity of Panchachurnam using adult earthworms (Pheritima posthuma) against piperazine citrate (15mg/ml) and albendazole (20mg/ml) as standard drugs and normal saline as control. The aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Panchachurnam were tested and results were expressed in terms of time for paralysis and time for death of worms. Based on the results, the ethanolic extract was found to possess higher activity than aqueous extract of Panchachurnam.
Panchachurnam, Ayurvedic Preparation, Pheretima postuma, Piperazine Citrate, Albendazole, Anthelmintic Activity.
- Singh D, Swarnkar CP and Khan FA. Anthelminthic resistance in gastrointestinal nematodes in livestock in India. J Vet Parasit. 16; 2002: 115-130.
- Hammond DA, Feilding D and Bishop SC. Prospects for plant anthelminthic in tropical veterinary medicine. Vet Res Com. 21; 1997: 213-228.
- Ashwatha R, Kaushik U, Lachake P, Shreedhara CS. Standardisation of Avipattikar Churna---a polyherbal formulation. Phcog Res. 1 (4); 2009: 224-227.
- Khandelwal Vaidya Santosh Kumar Sharma. Rasa Bhaishajya Kalpana Vigyan, Publication Scheme, Jaipur, India. 8th ed: 55.
- Anonymous. Ayurveda Sarsangrah. Sh. Baidyanath Ayurveda Bhavan, New Delhi, India: 589.
- Kumar S A. Abhinava Bhaishajya Kalpana Vigyan, Chowkhambha Orientalia, Varanasi, India.
- Khandelwal KR, Practical Pharmacognosy, Nirali Prakashan, Pune. 2006; 16th ed: pp. 149–161.
- Vidyarthi RD. A Text Book of Zoology. S. Chand and Co, New Delhi. 1977; 14th ed: pp. 322-327.
- Thorn GW, Adams RD, Braunwald E, Issalbacher KJ, Petersdorf RG. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. McGraw Hill Co, New York. 1977; pp. 1088-1089.
- Vigar Z. Atlas of Medical Parasitology. PG Publishing House, Singapore. 1984; 2nd ed: pp. 216- 217.
- Blakemore R, Diversity of exotic earthworms in Australia- A status report. Transactions of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. 1999.
- Dwivedi S, Dwivedi A, Kapadia R, and Kaul S. Anthelmintic activity of alcoholic and aqueous extract of fruits of Terminalia chebula Retz. Ethanobotanical Leaflets. 12; 2008: 741-43.
- Nirmal SA, Malwadkar G, Laware RB. Anthelminthic activity of Pongamia glabra Songlanakarin. J Sci Technol. 29; 2007: 755-757.
- Ravindra GM, Mahajan GS, Mehta AA. In-vitro screening of Cleome viscosa extract for anthelminthic activity. Pharma Biol. 45; 2007: 766- 768.
- Srinivasa U, Venkateshwara Rao J, Krupanidhi AM and Srinivas Y, Anthelmintic activity of leaves of Clerodendrum phlomidis, Ind. J. Nat. Prod. 22 (1); 2006: 28-30.
- Jayachandran E., Bhatia K., Naragunda, LVG and Roy A., Indian Drugs. 40 (7); 2003: 408.
- Armitage P. Statistical methods in Medical Research. Blackwell scientific publication, New York. 1971; 1st ed: pp. 217-220.
Abstract Views: 46
PDF Views: 1