Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Understanding the Concept of Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System: A Novel Approach over Conventional Dosage Forms
Mucoadhesion is commonly defined as the adhesion between two materials, at least one of which is a mucosal surface. Over the past few decades, mucosal drug delivery has received a great deal of attention. Mucoadhesive dosage forms may be designed to enable prolonged retention at the site of application, providing a controlled rate of drug release for the improved therapeutic outcome. Application of dosage forms to mucosal surfaces may be of benefit to drug molecules not amenable to the oral route, such as those that undergo acid degradation or extensive first-pass metabolism. The mucoadhesive ability of a dosage form is dependent upon a variety of factors, including the nature of the mucosal tissue and the physicochemical properties of the polymeric formulation. The present study is performed for the motivation of the graduates towards publication and research. Hence, we have encouraged the graduates to prepare an informative article on the present subject.
Mucoadhesion, Mucoadhesive System, Bioadhesion, Transmucosal, Transdermal, Bioavailability.
- Netsomboon K, Bernkop-Schnurch A. Mucoadhesive vs. mucopenetrating particulate drug delivery. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics : official journal of Arbeitsgemeinschaft fur Pharmazeutische Verfahrenstechnik eV. 2016; 98:76-89.
- Silva BM, Borges AF, Silva C, Coelho JF, Simoes S. Mucoadhesive oral films: The potential for unmet needs. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2015; 494(1): 537-51.
- Montenegro-Nicolini M, Morales JO. Overview and Future Potential of Buccal Mucoadhesive Films as Drug Delivery Systems for Biologics. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2017; 1 8(1): 3-14.
- Shinkar DM, Dhake AS, Setty CM. Drug delivery from the oral cavity: a focus on mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery systems. PDA journal of pharmaceutical science and technology. 2012; 66(5): 466-500.
- Laffleur F. Mucoadhesive polymers for buccal drug delivery. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2014; 40(5): 591-8.
- Duggan S, Cummins W, O OD, Hughes H, Owens E. Thiolated polymers as mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. European journal of pharmaceutical sciences : official journal of the European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 100: 64-78.
- Cook MT, Khutoryanskiy VV. Mucoadhesion and mucosamimetic materials--A mini-review. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2015; 495(2): 991-8.
- Gilhotra RM, Ikram M, Srivastava S, Gilhotra N. A clinical perspective on mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery systems. Journal of biomedical research. 2014; 28(2): 81-97.
- Bruschi ML, de Francisco LM, A SdTL, Borghi FB. An overview of recent patents on composition of mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. Recent Pat Drug Deliv Formul. 2015; 9(1): 79-87.
- Bagan J, Paderni C, Termine N, Campisi G, Lo Russo L, Compilato D, et al. Mucoadhesive polymers for oral transmucosal drug delivery: a review. Current pharmaceutical design. 2012; 18(34): 5497-514.
- Agarwal S, Aggarwal S. Mucoadhesive polymeric platform for drug delivery; a comprehensive review. Current drug delivery. 2015; 12(2): 139-56.
- Priya Mahajan AK, Geeta Aggarwal, S.L. Harikumar. Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System: A Review. Int J Drug Dev & Res. 2013 ;5(1):11-20.
- Remunan-Lopez C, Portero A, Vila-Jato JL, Alonso MJ. Design and evaluation of chitosan/ethylcellulose mucoadhesive bilayered devices for buccal drug delivery. Journal of controlled release : official journal of the Controlled Release Society. 1998; 55(23):143-52.
- Shojaei AH. Buccal mucosa as a route for systemic drug delivery: a review. Journal of pharmacy & pharmaceutical sciences : a publication of the Canadian Society for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Societe canadienne des sciences pharmaceutiques. 1998; 1(1): 15-30.
- Caramella CM, Rossi S, Ferrari F, Bonferoni MC, Sandri G. Mucoadhesive and thermogelling systems for vaginal drug delivery. Advanced drug delivery reviews. 2015; 92: 39-52.
- Hornof M, Weyenberg W, Ludwig A, Bernkop-Schnurch A. Mucoadhesive ocular insert based on thiolated poly(acrylic acid): development and in vivo evaluation in humans. Journal of controlled release : official journal of the Controlled Release Society. 2003; 89(3): 419-28.
- Sultana Y, Aqil M, Ali A. Ocular inserts for controlled delivery of pefloxacin mesylate: preparation and evaluation. Acta pharmaceutica (Zagreb, Croatia). 2005; 55(3): 305-14.
- Singh RM, Kumar A, Pathak K. Mucoadhesive in situ nasal gelling drug delivery systems for modulated drug delivery. Expert opinion on drug delivery. 2013; 10(1): 115-30.
- Khan Shahid VM, Aggarwal Geeta and Kumar S. L. Hari. Mucoadhesive drug delivery system: A review. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 5(5): 392-405.
- Harvinder Kaur Saini UN. Pioneering and Encouraging Approach Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Research. 2017; 5(3): 455-63.
- Rahamatullah Shaikh TRRS, Martin James Garland, A David Woolfson, and Ryan F. Donnelly. Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2010; 3(1): 89-100.
- B. Saraswathi Abamsu. Polymers in mucoadhesive drug delivery system-latest updates International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013; 5(3):4 23-30.
- Vinod KR RRT, Sandhya S, David Banji, Venkatram Reddy B. Critical Review on Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery Systems. Hygeia JD Med. 2012; 4(1):7-28.
- Pranshu Tangri NVSM. Oral Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery Systems: A Review. International Journal of Biopharmaceutics. 2011; 2(1): 36-46.
- Folch J, Petrov D, Ettcheto M, Abad S, #xe1, nchez-L, et al. Current Research Therapeutic Strategies for Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment. Neural Plasticity. 2016; 2016: 15.
Abstract Views: 1
PDF Views: 0