Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Formulation and Characterization of Virgin Coconut Oil Emulsion (VCOE) for Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease, is a somatic disease that affects the brain. It is a progressive disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions. During this disease, accumulation of cerebral extracellular amyloid, which is mostly composed of accumulated amyloid-β (Ab) peptide as well as the accumulation of intracellular neurofibrillary tangles, appears to start up. This results in the loss of connection between nerve cell, and lead to the degeneration of neurons and finally death of brain tissue. Also due to the deficiency of some important chemical messenger in the brain, the signal transmission gets ultimately, affected in the body. The main objective of this study was to prepare the optimized formula of a VCO based emulsion containing Tween 20 as the surfactant for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease which may help to increase the cholesterol level in the brain and to destroy the β amyloid plaque as a result of which the level of chemical messenger will increase in the brain. This study is further aimed to analyze, concentration of drug reaching into the brain and to study its effect in destroying β amyloid plaque.
Amyloid-β, Chemical Messengers, Neurofibrillary, Tangles, Peptide, Cholesterol.
- Fernado W.M.A.D.B, Martin J, Goozee K.J, Brennan S. Charles, Jayasena V. and Martin R.N. Review article on the role of dietary coconut for the prevention and treatment of alzheimer’s disease: potential mechanisms of action, published on 22 may 2015.
- Cummings J, Schneider LS, Aisen PS "ymptomatic and nonamyloid based pharmacologic treatment for Alzheimer disease". Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med, vol. 2, 2012.
- Villemagne, Bourgeat,P., BurnhamV.L Brown, B., Ellis, K.A., Salvado, O. et al. Amyloid ßdeposition, neurodegeneration and cognitive decline in sporadic Alzheimer’s disease: A prospective cohort study. Lancet Neurol. 2013.
- Xiong, C., Benzinger, A.M., Goate, T.L., Bateman, R.J, Fagan, Clinical and biomarker changes in dominantly inherited Alzheimer’s disease. N Engl J Med. 2012.
- Alzheimer society, fact sheet, 40 1LP 2014, what is Alzheimer’s disease?
- Bourgeat P, Villemagne VL, Chetelat G, Relationship between atrophy and b-amyloid deposition in Alzheimer disease. Ann Neurol 2010.
- JA,, Luchsinger, Stern Y Mediterranean diet, inflammatory and metabolic biomarkers, and risk of Alzheimer's disease. 2010 8. Alzheimer’s Association. 2012 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures., vol. 8, no. 2, USA, 2012.
- J. Jauregui, with "severe dementia" returning to old self after starting coconut oil. www.hawkeshealth.net Mar 28, 2012.
- L. Johnson "Coconut oil touted as Alzheimer’s remedy". www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/January/Coconut-oilTouted, 2012 Jan 5.
- KG Goozee, WMF Fernando, V Jayasena, IJ Martins, CS Brennan, RN Martins. The role of dietary coconut for the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease: potential mechanisms of action, 2015 Jul. (MOA).
- ST Henderson, Ketone bodies as a therapeutic for Alzheimer’s disease, Neuro therapeutics, vol.5, no. 3, pp. 47-80, 2008.
- Devere R. "Ketones-A New treatment for Alzheimer's disease?" Practical Neurology, www.practicalneurology.org, pp. 14-16.
- Keto-dementia Diet, #2 articles, www.centerwatch.com or druginformation.
- Segawa, E., Wilson, R.S., Boyle, P.A., Hizel, L.P., Anagnos, S.E., and Bennett, D.A. "The natural history of cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s disease" Psychol Aging. 2012.
- R. Katzman, "The prevalence and malignancy of Alzheimer disease: A major killer Arch Neurol" 1976.
- Sanjeewani N.A, Sakeena MHF, formulation and characterization of virgin coconut oil based emulsion (VCO), international journal of scientific and research publication, vol III, issue 12, December 2013.
- Wriyanilastri, Aladinandi, Yanisetyawati and Rahmawati, stability of coconut oil emulsion with mixed emulsifier tween 80 and span 80 ARPN journal of engineering and applied science, Vol II, No 8, April 2016. (emulsion)
- D. Divina, Bawalan D, processing manual for virgin coconut oil, its products and by-products for pacific island countries and territories
- Amin, A.M. Marina, Y.B. Che "Virgin coconut oil: emerging functional food oil", Trends in Food Science and Technology, Volume 20 (2009).
- Kappallyshijna, Shirwaikar Arun and Shirwaikar Anni, coconut oil-a review of potential application, Hygeia journal of drug and medicine march 2016".
- Ajit SB, Gaurav R, Gopala KAG. Coconut oil: chemistry, production and its applications–a review. Indian Coconut 2010.
- Y. C. Wong and H. Hartina, virgin coconut oil production by centrifugation method, Oriental journal of pharmacy, volume 30, number 1.
- Abdurahman H. Nour, F.S. mohammed, Rosli M. Yunus and A, Arman, demulsification of virgin coconut oil by centrifugation method ; a feasibility study, International journal of chemical technology, year 2009, vol I, page no 59-64.
- M.I. Ozhovan (1993), "Dynamic uniform fractals in emulsions" http://www.jetp.ac.ru/cgi-bin/dn/e_077_06_0939.pdf J. Exp.Theor. Phys. 77: 939–943.
- Subramanyam CBS, text book of physical pharmaceutics, vallabhprakashan, 2nd edition 2014, page no. 395-426.
- Tripathi D.K. a text book of industrial pharmacy, pharmamed press 2015, page no. 309-342.
- Lachmannliebermen, the theory and practice of industrial pharmacy, CBS publisher and distributer, 4th edition 2013, page no. 686.
- Mehta R.M. pharmaceutics II, Niraliprakashan 15th edition 2010, page no. 11.1-11.20.
- A.M. Marina, Y.B. Man, Ismail A, virgin coconut oil; emerging functional food oil, article in trends in food science and technology, 20(10), 481-487, October 2009
- Harish sharma, Vaibhav Kumar Dapurkar, Dr. Gopalrai, Gyanesh Kumar Sahu, Microemulsionfor the topical administration of 5fluorouracil preparation and evaluation, Research journal of pharmaceutical tech 5(8), Aug 2012.
- VaibhavKumar Dapurkar, Harish Sharma, Gyanesh Kumar Sahu, Swati Meshram, Dr. GopalRai, Anti arthritic activity of roots extract of boerhaaviadiffusa in adjuvant induced arthritis rats, Scholar academic journal of pharmacy 2013 2(2): 107-109.
- GyaneshKumar Sahu, Harish Sharma, Anshita Gupta, Chanchal Deep Kaur, A review article on advancement in microemulsion based drug delivery system for better therapeutic effect, International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and developmental research , Aug 2015.
- GyaneshKumar Sahu, Harish Sharma, VaibhavKumar Dapurkar, An over view of new drug delivery system: microemulsion, International research journal of pharmaceutical and applied science, 2012 2(5): 1-8
- GyaneshKumar Sahu, Harish Sharma, ChanchalDeep Kaur, Evolving concepts and targeting arthritis, World journal of pharmaceutical research, 26 may 2014, vol III, issue 4, 1960-1975.
- GyaneshKumar Sahu, Harish Sharma, ChanchalDeep Kaur, A novel approach of magnetic modulated microspheres, Asian J. of research, 2013, vol III, Issue 4, page 220-224.
- Gyaneshkumarsahu, Harish sharma, Dr. GopalRai, Vaibhav Kumar Dapurkar, Development and evaluation of methotreaxate loaded BSA microsphere, International research journal of pharmaceutical and applied science, 2012; 2(5); 9-12.
- Bony R. Shah, DhruboJyotiSen, Rajesh Bahekar. Design, Synthesis and Pharmacological Evaluation of Potent and Selective Dipeptidyl-Derived Inhibitors as New Class of Antidiabetic Drugs. Asian J. Research Chem. 4(1): January 2011; Page 50-54.
- SunitaSoni, Ajay Soni, Sunil Ganatra. Studies on the Optimum Reaction Time for Commercial Cholesterol kits. Asian J. Research Chem. 6(10): October 2013; Page 950-951.
- K. Hemalatha, V. Chakkaravarthi, K. Ganesa Murthy, R. Kayatri, K. Girija. Molecular Properties and Docking Studies of Benzimidazole Derivatives as Potential Peptide Deformylase Inhibitors. Asian J. Research Chem. 7(7): July 2014; Page 644-648.
- Rajesh Yadav, Nita. Yadav, MurliDharKharya. Steroid Chemistry and Steroid Hormone Action: A Review. Asian J. Research Chem. 7(11): November, 2014; Page 964-969.
- SandeepPokharia. An Atoms-in-molecules (AIM) interpretation of organotin-peptide system: I. Di-n-butyltin(IV) derivative of glycyltryptophane. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(2): 115-118.
- Gangadhara MM, Dinesha R, Satish Kumar Murari. A noncytotoxic pseudo peptide KL1 with potent antioxidant activity. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(2): 127-130.
- D. M. SuyogaVardhan, H. K. Kumara, H. Pavan Kumar, D. Channe Gowda. Urea and Thiourea Derivatives of Dipeptides Conjugated Piperazine Analogue as A New Class of AGE's Inhibitors: Synthesis and Molecular Docking Studies. Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(4): 459-469.
- Pandey Rishabh, Singh AV, Pandey Awanish, Tripathi Poonam, SK Majumdar, Nath LK. Protein and Peptide Drugs: A Brief Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2(2): April-June. 2009; Page 228-233.
Abstract Views: 1
PDF Views: 0