Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Sociological Perspective of Adolescent’s Sexual Behaviour
The purpose of the present investigation was to analyse the extent of awareness among the adolescents about the physical changes occur during the puberty, assessment of their sexual behaviour and to analyse the level of awareness about sex organ and reproduction among adolescents. The study also intended to assess the level of awareness about sex education. The universe for the present study is students of staying in Backward Class Hostel, Tiruchirappalli District. The total population of the study on record shows 148 students, out of which the researcher had drawn a sample of 100 respondents. They were selected through simple random sampling technique by adopting lottery method. The data on the subject were collected with the help of structured interview schedule prepared by the researchers, which clearly revealed that majority of the respondents were emotionally turbulent and the most of them were not aware about genetic changes occurred during the adolescence. The study also found that most of the respondents were not aware about physical growth during their adolescence period. More than half of the respondents (68.8 percent) had knowledge about location of penis, sex organ in the human body. One third of the respondents practiced heterosexual behaviour and homosexual behaviour. This study highlights few suggestions which include appointment of social workers in schools and colleges educational curricula, to cater to information related to sexuality with scientific base and counseling to the younger generation.
Adolescents, Physical Growth, Sexual Behaviour, Adolescents Sexuality and Sex Education
- Abraham, L. Kumar, K.A. Sexual experiences and their correlates among college students in Mumbai city, India, International Family Planning Perspectives, 1999; 25(3), Pp. 139-46.
- Abraham, P.S. Psychology made easy, ed., Chaucer press, 1980, p.143.
- Action Health Incorporated. Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education in Nigeria, 1996; P 77.
- Adhikari, R and Tamang, J. Premarital Sexual Behavior among male college students of Kathmandu, Nepal. BMC Public Health, 2009; 9 (241), 234-237.
- Adhikari, R. Tamang, J. Premarital sexual behavior among male college students of Kathmandu, Nepal. BMC Public Health, 2009; 9:241.
- Alexander, M.L.S. Garda, S. Kanade, S. Formation of partnerships among young women and men in Pune district, Maharashtra. New Delhi: Population Council, 2007.
- Baird, T.L. Mexican adolescent sexuality: Attitudes, knowledge, and sources of information. Journal of Behavioural Science, 1993; 10 (2), 402-417.
- Bhende, A.A. A study of sexuality of adolescent girls and boys in underprivileged groups in Bombay, Indian Journal of Social Work, 1994; 55(4), Pp. 557-71.
- Brooks-gunn, J. and Paikoff, R. ‘Sexuality and developmental transitions during adolescence’, In: Schulenberg, J. and Maggs, J.L. (Eds.,) Health Risks and Developmental Transitions During Adolescence, New York: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1997; pp. 190-219.
- Caron, S.L. Davis, C.M. Halteman, W.A. and Stickle, M. Predictors of condom-related behaviors among first-year college students. Journal of Sex Research, 1993; 30, 252-259.
- Cyranowski, J.M. and Andersen, B. L. Schemes, sexuality, and romantic attachment. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1998; 74, 1364-1379.
- HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Office (HAPCO). Behavioural Surveillance Survey (BSS) in Ethiopia, 2000.
- Jejeebhoy, S. ‘Adolescent sexual and reproductive behaviour: A review of the evidence from India’, In: Radhika, R and Shireen, J. (Eds.). Women’s Reproductive Health in India, Jaipur (New Delhi): Rawat Publications, 2000; pp. 40-101.
- Leland, N.L. and Barth, R.P. Gender differences in knowledge, intentions, and behaviors concerning pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease prevention among adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health, 1992; 13, 589-599.
- Mawar, N. Tripathy, S.P. John, J.K. Sinha, S.K. Quiraishi, S.Y. Bagul, R. Gadkari, D.A. Youth sexuality study for behaviour change interventions for HIV/AIDS in college youth, Pune, India. A presented at XII International AIDS conference, Geneva, Abstract No. 14333, 1998.
- Mehra, S.R. Savithri, S. and Coutinho, L. Sexual behaviour among unmarried adolescents in Delhi, India: Opportunities despite parental controls. A paper presented at the IUSSP Regional Population Conference, Bangkok, June, 2002.
- National AIDS Control Programme, Ministry of Health, United Republic of Tanzania: HIV/AIDS/STI Surveillance Report. Number, 19, Ministry of Health, Tanzania, 2001.
- Senderowitz, J. A review of programme approaches to adolescent reproductive health. Report prepared for USA Agency for International Development in co-operation with Population Technical Assistance Programme, Unpublished, 2000.
- Sorenson, R.C. Adolescent Sexuality in Contemporary America. New York: World Publishing, 1973; Pp. 345-350.
- Sujay, R. Premarital sexual Behaviour among Unmarried college Students of Gujarat, India. Health and Population Innovation Fellowship Programme Working paper No 9, New Delhi: Population Council, 2009. (Available at http://www.premarital_ sexual_behaviour/Gujarat/Health_andpopulation_innovation_fel lowship Accessed on: 09/11/2012)
- Taffa, N. Sundby, J. Holm-Hansen, C. and Bjnne, C. HIV prevalence and socio-economic contexts of sexuality among youth in A.A., Ethiopia. Ethiop Journal of Health Development, 2002; 16 (2), Pp. 139-145.
- World Health Organization. ‘The Reproductive Health of Adolescents: A strategy for Action’, Geneva. In: Shittu, L.A. (1997). Adolescents` sexuality problems in oworonshoki area: A case study of both Moslem college and professional institute of management and secretarial studies schools, 1989.
Abstract Views: 693
PDF Views: 0